Options

Vestel unveils new 4K UHD set-top-box range

Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/vestel-unveils-new-4k-uhd-set-top-box-range

No mention of a freeview play version for the UK.

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see if this ends up at Argos
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks really old fashioned. reminds me of the old analogue cable boxes with the red channel numbers.
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking that this type of box - Humax Aura included - is still merely a 'half-way house' on the route to proper 5G Broadcast, 4K UHD, H.266 transmission.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 15/09/22 - 15:19 #5
    trilobite wrote: »
    I keep thinking that this type of box - Humax Aura included - is still merely a 'half-way house' on the route to proper 5G Broadcast, 4K UHD, H.266 transmission.

No doubt but that's for the future with no known date at the present time. Meanwhile as has already been said this box looks old fashioned and somewhat cheap and nasty.

• Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevin88 wrote: »
    Looks really old fashioned. reminds me of the old analogue cable boxes with the red channel numbers.
    How about this version?
    https://www.displaydaily.com/article/press-releases/vestel-launches-97xx-4k-uhd-set-top-box-series

If a company operating in the UK decides to go with a model derived from new vestel's capability range then won't the looks be at least partially depend on what that company goes for?
  • Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 01/11/22 - 20:46 #7
    I do wonder what the point of this box is, at least in the UK market. I mean, if you have a 4K TV, you'll probably have Netflix, Prime Video, etc, available built-in, which will support 4K. If you have an old 4K TV where some apps are no longer supported or not available, then surely a streaming stick is a more suitable (and probably cheaper) future-proof alternative. Freeview is not going to get 4K transmissions anytime soon, if ever, either. Better off sticking with a HD PVR and streaming stick / built-in apps, IMO. If you need a PVR and don't have a 4K TV, if they release a PVR version of this box, it may well be very expensive compared to the HD PVR models of old. Less people use PVRs these days (although I still do, to skip the adverts and to get 5.1 surround :)).