Options

Panasonic Closing Media Center App

ian001ian001 Posts: 1,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A notice has appeared on the Panasonic Media Center app to advise that the service will be discontinued from 18 October 2023.
Thank you for using the Panasonic Media Center app.

We regret to inform you that we have decided to discontinue the Panasonic Media Center app service due to a recent decrease in usage and the need for significant maintenance to continue the service in the future.

The service will be discontinued on October 18, 2023, and the download of the smartphone app will also be discontinued at the same time.. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to our valued customers.

Please note that after the service is discontinued even if the app is already installed on your device, you will no longer be able to log in to the service and use it.

Whilst the app wasn't great, had a number of omissions, was prone to crashing and very sluggish, it did serve a purpose in enabling the timer to be set remotely on my Freeview Recorder.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,536
    Forum Member
    ian001 wrote: »
    A notice has appeared on the Panasonic Media Center app to advise that the service will be discontinued from 18 October 2023.

We regret to inform you that we have decided to discontinue the Panasonic Media Center app service due to a recent decrease in usage and the need for significant maintenance to continue the service in the future.

The service will be discontinued on October 18, 2023, and the download of the smartphone app will also be discontinued at the same time.. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to our valued customers.

Please note that after the service is discontinued even if the app is already installed on your device, you will no longer be able to log in to the service and use it.

Whilst the app wasn't great, had a number of omissions, was prone to crashing and very sluggish, it did serve a purpose in enabling the timer to be set remotely on my Freeview Recorder.

Obviously why no body used it then :D
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian001 wrote: »

I don't use it but Panasonic have another app to do what you want if your TV is compatible.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they make Freeview recorders any more so not surprising that they have discontinued that option.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they make Freeview recorders any more so not surprising that they have discontinued that option.

The Panasonic Media Centre app is used with their TVs as well.
  • Options
    petefpetef Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I thought that the app was discontinued ages ago in favour of the web service. Perhaps that was only for my older PVR. Anyway rec.panasonic.com is also saying:

Notice of Remote Recording Service Termination
    The Remote Recording Service will be terminated on October 18th, 2023.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,613
    Forum Member

They do.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt850-smart-3d-blu-ray-disc-recorder-with-1tb-hdd-twin-tuners-freeview-play/p2737349
  • Options
    digidoldigidol Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    edited 23/04/23 - 15:51 #8
    Kevin1960 wrote: »

They do.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt850-smart-3d-blu-ray-disc-recorder-with-1tb-hdd-twin-tuners-freeview-play/p2737349

That model was first released in 2015 (the first to have Freeview Play built in) and has contiued to be part of their line up. No new models have been produced since 2015.

I wonder if this will be replaced this year......with the demise of the Media Centre App and ITVX not supported on this model.
  • Options
    NorthDown2NorthDown2 Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Disappointed that they're discontinuing the app - have used it often when I realised at work I forgot to record something and set the recording remotely. Have even used it to stream programmes and set recordings when on holiday.

I should explain that as a user in Northern Ireland, I'm getting a signal from a transmitter in the Republic for stations in the Republic of Ireland and recording - the drive doesn't allow series record from tx in the Republic so I have to remember week by week. The same signal (mostly recordings of things on RTE) doesn't have the limitations of the UK stations preventing streaming of their programmes to my mobile.

The software, while old and sometimes slow - I assume slow because it was remotely booting up the hard drive and so it it took time - was very stable on my current iphone. I wouldn't have minded the withdrawl of watching content remotely but really disappointed that I'm unable to set the recorder remotely. Because I'm not in the UK, content from Ireland is not always available on RTE Player/ TG4 Player.
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    I don't use it but Panasonic have another app to do what you want if your TV is compatible.

Thanks - I'll try this out.
    NorthDown2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded the withdrawl of watching content remotely but really disappointed that I'm unable to set the recorder remotely.

Same here - taking this away is such a retrograde step. I'm aware I'm in a dwindling minority but I like to keep my own TV archive rather than rely on streaming.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currys no longer selling Panasonic PVRs.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to correct myself. Online you can still purchase Panasonic PVRs.
  • Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to correct myself. Online you can still purchase Panasonic PVRs.

Indeed you can. I've just bought two DMR-EX97EB DVD player / PVRs, one to replace my partner's faulty DVD player and unreliable Humax 9300 PVR. That's her Christmas present sorted. o:)