Options

Main Series vs Specials : Which do you prefer overall...?

EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,314
Forum Member
edited 26/12/23 - 11:51 in The Masked Singer #1
The main series is very good but its got to be the specials for me.

A show about people with various singing abilities performing in costumes of all shapes and sizes. Accompanied by equally bizarrely dressed choirs and backing dancers. Its easy to see why some people cannot quite get their heads around Masked Singer but it is nevertheless really good fun and very entertaining. That feeling when you figure one out all on your own is somewhat exhilarating but I for one am pretty hopeless when it comes to correctly guessing anyone from the normal series episodes.

Though I have managed to get some correct guesses in the specials episodes.

There are obviously people on here (and elsewhere) who are absolutely brilliant at figuring out who that is behind the mask and need very little help or clues. And once those people have figured out the identities it is still quite fun to see how the clues match each celebrity but nothing quite beats figuring it out for ourselves. Just wondering what other people prefer or maybe like both equally...?

Do you like the clues more vague and prefer it when everything is drawn out or is the show better when we do not have to wait long to find out who they all are especially if it means better clues and more opportunities for the viewers to guess correctly...?

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely prefer the series because they make it more difficult and they usually feature bigger names!

This next series apparently has some of the best singers in the shows history, so I expect some impressive names to come
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely prefer the series because they make it more difficult and they usually feature bigger names!

This next series apparently has some of the best singers in the shows history, so I expect some impressive names to come

Maybe it is an age thing but the singers in this year's Christmas special were plenty well known and big enough for a British audience. Ok they weren't well known for their singing but personally that doesn't matter to me I mainly enjoy the guessing game. The specials and the series each have their place. People don't get so invested in the specials but they're just meant to be a bit of quick fun and not complex. No need to compare them when both are enjoyable and don't conflict.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »

Maybe it is an age thing but the singers in this year's Christmas special were plenty well known and big enough for a British audience. Ok they weren't well known for their singing but personally that doesn't matter to me I mainly enjoy the guessing game. The specials and the series each have their place. People don't get so invested in the specials but they're just meant to be a bit of quick fun and not complex. No need to compare them when both are enjoyable and don't conflict.

Oh no I agree the names in the Christmas special were definitely top tier for UK tv audiences. Tony Robinson in particular I never saw doing this show,

But I think with the series you have a mix of non singers and big name singer, which for me I enjoy more.

But the Christmas special was better for me than the IAC Special.
  • Options
    MaxxieDMaxxieD Posts: 4,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27/12/23 - 20:15 #5

Oh no I agree the names in the Christmas special were definitely top tier for UK tv audiences. Tony Robinson in particular I never saw doing this show,

But I think with the series you have a mix of non singers and big name singer, which for me I enjoy more.

Personally, I disagree. They were all has-beens who appear on these sort of shows all the time. Tony Robinson to a lesser extent than the others but still the same.

Just because I know who they are doesn’t mean the reveals weren’t underwhelming.
  • Options
    Phoenix37Phoenix37 Posts: 5,889
    Forum Member
    edited 28/12/23 - 18:06 #6
    MaxxieD wrote: »

Personally, I disagree. They were all has-beens who appear on these sort of shows all the time. Tony Robinson to a lesser extent than the others but still the same.

Just because I know who they are doesn’t mean the reveals weren’t underwhelming.

I wouldn't say they were has beens but they were definitely underwhelming to me. It was clear that all the effort has gone into the main series, where if it's anything like the previous ones there'll be at least two or three international names, as well as bigger UK stars
    Each have their place but I find the series' much more entertaining than any of the specials
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The specials are good but having to get it done in one episode means you don't see the journey of the celebrities.

• Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MaxxieD wrote: »

I'd rather watch has-beens than wannabes because at least has-beens have been something. A lot of these people are still busy but on an assorted multitude of channels or work in other aspects of the business.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,258
    Forum Member
    I enjoy the specials but one-offs of shows like this which are very much built around a journey feel a bit weird.

The series gives us better singers. I would have been gutted if we only got to hear Robobunny, Robin, Queen Bee etc sing once or twice.
  • Options
    StrideStride Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do enjoy both but I prefer the series as you get to hear them sing more.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main series. :)