Options

VoIP with standard DECT phones

Simon6776Simon6776 Posts: 738
Forum Member
✭✭
Just in the process of moving to FTTP and I'd like to keep my current analogue Siemens Gigaset DECT phone to use with the VoIP service when I eventually switch.

I'm getting a TP-Link VX230v router, as this is currently one of the few that has an FXS port, and I'm hoping the Gigaset phone will work from this.

My question is, how do you set up call forwarding and voicemail with a standard DECT phone on VoIP? With a proper VoIP phone, I believe it's all done in the phone menus, but obviously I won't have those, and I'm not sure that the usual '#21xxx#' style codes will still work.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,534
    Forum Member
    Assuming it's a proper Voip adaptor in the hub (and not an ISP's private system), call forwarding commands will most likely be dependent on whatever Voip service you sign up to - on mine it's done with a web browser. Check with your Voip provider, and read the help files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I'm planning on getting the FTTP up and running first, so I won't actually be moving to VoIP for a while yet. Was just curious as to how it worked.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon6776 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm planning on getting the FTTP up and running first, so I won't actually be moving to VoIP for a while yet. Was just curious as to how it worked.
    some adapters do allow commands do set these things up but it is reliant on the kit used
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want to keep your current phone number? If so and FTTP cancels your current copper service you have 30 days only to "port" the number,

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Do you want to keep your current phone number? If so and FTTP cancels your current copper service you have 30 days only to "port" the number,

Brian

Thanks, that's good to know. I've told them I want to keep my old copper landline service for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Brian

Thanks, that's good to know. I've told them I want to keep my old copper landline service for now.

Well if you're moving to FTTP then it won't be an old copper landline service anyway - who is your ISP, and do they offer an Internet phone service via their router?. As a new FTTP Virgin Media user their router has two phone sockets on it, but they don't offer (or provide) any phone service, and the sockets are useless. However, I've long since used a 'proper' Voip service, with a Grandstream Voip adaptor and Panasonic Dect phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Openreach still haven't done the outside work yet. Apparently they've got to lay a new duct as the existing one is blocked, and they have to get permission from the estate management before digging stuff up.

I'm staying with the same ISP and they're not removing the old phone service until I'm ready to switch to VoIP. I have a compatible router with an FXS port on order, and I intend to port the number and take out a VoIP service with my current provider at a later stage, but didn't want to do it all at once.
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 03/03/24 - 11:06 #9
    I would be a bit nervous if they are saying that (unless it was was one of the premium providers) - cease the broadband and retain a standalone copper voice service with no contract? Does the ISP have a phone only service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I already have a standard landline service with the ISP, in combination with my existing FTTC broadband. They also offer a digital phone service called UBOSS. For now, I am upgrading to FTTP (when OR get their act together) but keeping the old standard landline service. I will then switch to the UBOSS (VoIP) service at a later date.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 05/03/24 - 18:16 #11

Brian

Well if you're moving to FTTP then it won't be an old copper landline service anyway - who is your ISP, and do they offer an Internet phone service via their router?. As a new FTTP Virgin Media user their router has two phone sockets on it, but they don't offer (or provide) any phone service, and the sockets are useless. However, I've long since used a 'proper' Voip service, with a Grandstream Voip adaptor and Panasonic Dect phones.

The sockets are not useless and extension can be wired to the voip connection on the router providing a phone line across all your old sockets I would ensure you disconnect the old incoming bt line at the master socket (even though this will have been disconnected at the exchange.)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Brian

The sockets are not useless and extension can be wired to the voip connection on the router providing a phone line across all your old sockets I would ensure you disconnect the old incoming bt line at the master socket (even though this will have been disconnected at the exchange.)

Perhaps you should read the post properly?, on the new Virgin XGS-PON FTTP service that uses the Hub5x the sockets are useless as Virgin don't provide a phone service for using them - as presumably with all ISP provided routers the sockets aren't a standard Voip adaptor you can configure yourself, so are completely useless.

Hence my continuing use of a Grandstream Voip adaptor.