Options

Temperamental recordings on ITV and Channels 4 & 5

Gregcolc1Gregcolc1 Posts: 5
Forum Member
I use a YouView box, a Huawei DN372T.

For the last year or so recordings have been very temperamental on all the ITV SD channels as well as Channels 4 & 5 SD. I get about a 20% success rate - so completely unreliable! The common denominator is these all broadcast on Mux D3&4.

Recordings on other Muxes work fine, so as a workaround I can use ITV HD, ITV2+1, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5+1/5HD. But ITV3+1 and ITV4+1 no longer broadcast on FreeView.

I get a very strong/good quality signal, so it can't be that, and it seems weird that the fault is intermittent. I would expect that if this Mux used a different code/technology to broadcast the relevant recording information, it just would not work, full stop.

I know my box is old and is probably no longer fully compatible.

But is it JUST these boxes, or is this actually a common problem across lots of different recording devices?

Comments

• Options
    Darcy72Darcy72 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Hi Greg, no I too have had and still am having issues - see my post from last July:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2447749/itv4-recording-issues#latest

Last week I tried to record Superbikes on ITV4 and suprise! - it failed.
    It does start to record but then cancels and gives me a "failed to record".

I have now resorted to ITVX which obviously is a much better picture albeit with some motion artefacts - and ads!
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 06/03/24 - 17:25 #3
    Darcy72 wrote: »
    Hi Greg, no I too have had and still am having issues - see my post from last July:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2447749/itv4-recording-issues#latest

Last week I tried to record Superbikes on ITV4 and suprise! - it failed.
    It does start to record but then cancels and gives me a "failed to record".

I have now resorted to ITVX which obviously is a much better picture albeit with some motion artefacts - and ads!

Other problems with that box, probably needs an update which is not available Huawei have probably lost interest in the product, as no one has reported any problems on here using other manufacturers boxes.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2460521/fast-forward-please-stop#latest

• Options
    Gregcolc1Gregcolc1 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Darcy72 wrote: »

Sadly my 2015 TV is about 6 months too old to take the ITVX App!

ITV like to boast that ITVX is a great improvement on the old Player. This may be true (I can't tell!) but that's no good if you can't get it. I have suggested to them that they leave the Legacy Player available, albeit unsupported - but no joy.

Such is progress - new technology that doesn't work quite as well as the old!

• Options
    Forum Member
    edited 08/03/24 - 10:21 #5
    Ah yes, I've not used the apps on the DN372T for a long time since a tv upgrade but still use it for Freeview recording, and use the tv for Freesat.
    A streaming stick is your best option imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As the MotoGP has begun I decided to experiment and re-installed a mothballed Humax DTR1800T.
    The YouView box failed to record last night, but the Humax no problem.
    The YouView box interestingly usually records the Sunday morning repeat......