Options

Great! TV - manual recovery of removed channels possible?

piginapokezzappiginapokezzap Posts: 271
Forum Member
New to all this. I'm about to buy a Freesat recorder. We like Great! tv output especially murder she wrote and others.
If i buy the recorder, can we manually get the removed Great! channels back?

Comments

• Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the Arris box sold by Freesat I suggest you read several long threads about it on this forum. The perceived answer to your question seems to be "yes but with great difficulty".
  • Options
    MK65ManMK65Man Posts: 2,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @piginapokezzap

Is Freeview an option for you?

If so, do you know which transmitter covers your area?

The Great! TV channels are still available on Freeview in areas that have the full service, (ie not Freeview Lite).

Great! TV on Freeview:

34 - GREAT! movies
    42 - GREAT! action
    50 - GREAT! tv
    52 - GREAT! romance
  • Options
    lovinthetellylovinthetelly Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12/03/24 - 13:24 #4
    New to all this. I'm about to buy a Freesat recorder. We like Great! tv output especially murder she wrote and others.
    If i buy the recorder, can we manually get the removed Great! channels back?

Essentially, 'no' if you use any newer (post-2012) Freesat recorder. Manually tuned channels can only be recorded manually (if at all), and require the box to be switched into non-Freesat mode first. Going back to Freesat mode can involve a reinstallation of the Freesat channels.

The best way forward would be an old Humax Foxsat HDR with the custom firmware, which will allow you to add non-Freesat channels to the end of the Freesat channel list. It won't however give you any EPG data, so you'll need to set manual recording timers for the Great!/non-freesat channels.

Might be easier to move to a £5-15/month SkyQ Essentials package.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28/03/24 - 02:06 #5
    An old Sky+ HD box from either Amazon or e-Bay would allow you to receive the Great channels on the EPG, but you wouldn’t be able to record them .

That’s one option.

Or a very basic Sky Q subscription ( as mentioned above ) is another, if you’re desperate to get the channels back.