Options

What is the record…?

shandygirl1211shandygirl1211 Posts: 2,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
edited 18/03/24 - 13:35 in The Apprentice #1
I was wondering if anyone knows what is the highest amount of ‘losses’ a finalist or even winner has had?

Theoretically Phil could make it to interviews and even the final having never been on a ‘winning team’ he could even win it.

People speculate that a candidate’s longevity can be based on their business plan so if that is true maybe Lord Sir Alan Sugar fancies investing in pies over any of the other ‘plans’ still on the table.

Not that the show has much credibility left, if any, but could it survive the flak should this happen, a winner that couldn’t win?

Comments

• Options
    alter_ego_catalter_ego_cat Posts: 6,136
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's the record but I think Tom Pellereau lost 8 times
  • Options
    Sami1986Sami1986 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was the year it changed from job to investment. Even LS himself said had it been the job Helen would have won hands down but Tom was an inventor and a good investment
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21/03/24 - 05:09 #4
    Sami1986 wrote: »

That was the year it changed from job to investment. Even LS himself said had it been the job Helen would have won hands down but Tom was an inventor and a good investment

2011, series 7, was the year the prize changed part way through the process which is why business plans were written on the back of an envelope and both finalists pitched more than one idea.

That was probably the most successful year of The Apprentice. Tom won and is still with Lord Sugar. I use his nail clippers every couple of weeks.

Helen, who'd won all nine tasks, was taken back by her old firm, Greggs, and rapidly promoted to the C-suite. It is a shame The Apprentice producers did not have not have the wit to arrange a task with Greggs or M&S Food while she ran them. Helen is still a big cheese in the food industry and it is a fair bet she is on a damn sight more than £100,000 a year.

Susan, author of iconic moments such as Do the French like their children? who reached third place also copped an investment from Lord Sugar. Susan bought him out just last year on undisclosed terms but given they'd previously shared a £10 million dividend, it can't have been cheap even if sales had been hit by the pandemic (and I've no idea whether they were or not).
  • Options
    mh2017mh2017 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure but I think if Phil loses this task which I think is likely (Noor is PM) he will be one of only people to lose 8 tasks by week 8. I think he's not a bad candidate though and hasn't usually been accountable for loss. I think Noor would go before him even though she has won so much as she doesn't have input in my opinion.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Yeah, think LS said Tom Pellereau would have been fired long before he reached the last task stages had it been the previous format, think LS even called Tom Pellereau captain hindsight as Tom Pellereau was good in the boardroom at pointing out what went wrong why the team lost the task, but LS liked his business plan, & felt it was the better investment which is why he stayed on & won.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, think LS said Tom Pellereau would have been fired long before he reached the last task stages had it been the previous format, think LS even called Tom Pellereau captain hindsight as Tom Pellereau was good in the boardroom at pointing out what went wrong why the team lost the task, but LS liked his business plan, & felt it was the better investment which is why he stayed on & won.

No, that is wrong for at least two reasons. First, Tom was not brought back to the boardroom until the eighth task so could not have been fired earlier. Second, Lord Sugar hated Tom's business plan which was about bespoke office chairs iirc, but Tom was allowed to pitch a second idea in the final (as was Helen) and that is what Lord Sugar invested in.
  • Options
    alter_ego_catalter_ego_cat Posts: 6,136
    Forum Member
    lammtarra wrote: »

No, that is wrong for at least two reasons. First, Tom was not brought back to the boardroom until the eighth task so could not have been fired earlier. Second, Lord Sugar hated Tom's business plan which was about bespoke office chairs iirc, but Tom was allowed to pitch a second idea in the final (as was Helen) and that is what Lord Sugar invested in.

Technically he could have been fired before. Sugar brought the whole team back into the boardroom this series. He could have done that with Tom if he had really wanted to get rid of him. However, he had obviously looked at Tom's existing product and liked it, hence allowing both of them to change their business plans.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if anyone knows what is the highest amount of ‘losses’ a finalist or even winner has had?

Theoretically Phil could make it to interviews and even the final having never been on a ‘winning team’ he could even win it.

People speculate that a candidate’s longevity can be based on their business plan so if that is true maybe Lord Sir Alan Sugar fancies investing in pies over any of the other ‘plans’ still on the table.

Not that the show has much credibility left, if any, but could it survive the flak should this happen, a winner that couldn’t win?

I don't think business plans come into it.

Remember Britanny from about 3 years ago who got all the way to the interview stage before they realised that she didn't have a business plan?

Are they taking us for mugs?

The so-called business plans are a load of old codswallop.