Options

Unable to connect Kindle Fire HD to phone hotspot

Simon_SudburySimon_Sudbury Posts: 396
Forum Member
Hi

Just spent a delightful week in chalet in St Ives.

The WiFi was hopeless, so tried to connect my Kindle HD to my iPhone 11’ s hotspot. Did the tweaks on the phone side but couldn’t connect the Kindle. Have tried Amazon forum but no joy.

The iPhone is listed under networks on the Kindle but the password I enter is somehow wrong. (The only password I can think of is that for the router)

In addition to any compatibility issue, I’m also confused by the WiFii/hotspot overlap. Ie I can only see the phone in Kindle settings if WiFi is on. Is that right?

Hope this makes sense. Grateful for any wisdom provided.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    andydenyerandydenyer Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    edited 24/03/24 - 22:15 #2
    The password will be whatever password you've set up for your mobile phone's hotspot, not the one for your router.

This might help:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/111785
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks. The hotspot password duly connected. However, I’m still a tad perplexed. I’m carrying out this process at home, with Kindle connected to WiFi. (Cant connect to hotspot with WiFi off) Does that mean I’d be using my data even though the WiFi symbol is still showing on the Kindle?

Ta
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Many thanks. The hotspot password duly connected. However, I’m still a tad perplexed. I’m carrying out this process at home, with Kindle connected to WiFi. (Cant connect to hotspot with WiFi off) Does that mean I’d be using my data even though the WiFi symbol is still showing on the Kindle?

Ta

A 'hotspot' is just a WiFi access point - so obviously you have to have WiFi turned ON - you simply connect your Kindle to the iPhones SSID, and input the iPhones password, which is clearly displayed on the iPhone when you enable the hotspot. If you're connected to the iPhones WiFi, then you're obviously using data on the iPhone, that's the whole point of doing it. The WiFi in this case is your iPhone - unless you're connecting to something else?.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

A 'hotspot' is just a WiFi access point - so obviously you have to have WiFi turned ON - you simply connect your Kindle to the iPhones SSID, and input the iPhones password, which is clearly displayed on the iPhone when you enable the hotspot. If you're connected to the iPhones WiFi, then you're obviously using data on the iPhone, that's the whole point of doing it. The WiFi in this case is your iPhone - unless you're connecting to something else?.

Thanks. “Obviously”😀 It’s just a bit counterintuitive when the “phone’s WiFi” is actually using data. I know what you mean, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Thanks. “Obviously”😀 It’s just a bit counterintuitive when the “phone’s WiFi” is actually using data. I know what you mean, though.

The phone isn't 'using WiFi' the phone is 'providing WiFi' - so obviously it's using data, where do imagine the data is coming from?.

People seem very confused between 'WiFi' and 'Internet' - they are completely different and completely separate. Internet is an external worldwide network system, and WiFi is simply a wireless link (pretending to be an Ethernet cable, and making a relatively poor job of it) to your local network.

If your local network is connected to the Internet, then this means you can access the Internet via WiFi - if it's not connected to the Internet, then you can access your local Network via WiFi.

I often tether my Kindle Fire HD to my phone, in order to download books.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

The phone isn't 'using WiFi' the phone is 'providing WiFi' - so obviously it's using data, where do imagine the data is coming from?.

People seem very confused between 'WiFi' and 'Internet' - they are completely different and completely separate. Internet is an external worldwide network system, and WiFi is simply a wireless link (pretending to be an Ethernet cable, and making a relatively poor job of it) to your local network.

If your local network is connected to the Internet, then this means you can access the Internet via WiFi - if it's not connected to the Internet, then you can access your local Network via WiFi.

Thanks for the masterclass. Almost as confusing as por v para in Espanol. (Means/motive/exchange v purpose/suitability/destination etc etc) Took me a while to master that.

I suppose I was comparing the phone’s usage of 4G/3G data (v limited in my case) v unlimited “WiFi” in the house. Ie phone is listed as an available WiFi network (as per your explanation, providing not using..), yet it’s use will use limited data etc. Think you addressed that now.

Just out of interest, why do you “often” need to tether Kindle to pone to download book?

Gracias
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Thanks for the masterclass. Almost as confusing as por v para in Espanol. (Means/motive/exchange v purpose/suitability/destination etc etc) Took me a while to master that.

I suppose I was comparing the phone’s usage of 4G/3G data (v limited in my case) v unlimited “WiFi” in the house. Ie phone is listed as an available WiFi network (as per your explanation, providing not using..), yet it’s use will use limited data etc. Think you addressed that now.

Just out of interest, why do you “often” need to tether Kindle to pone to download book?

Gracias

I would guess he means when he's not at home or within range of any wi-fi hotspots? I often tether my tablet to my phone when I'm out and about and cannot get a wi-fi signal (including when commuting, as the wi-fi provided on the trains can be a bit hit and miss). But as Nigel explains, when you are tethering to your phone, you are using your phone's 3G/4G/5G connection to the internet, and therefore your phone's data allowance. Whereas when connecting to your home wi-fi, you are using your broadband's connection to the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Gracias

Usually when I'm in a Premier Inn, as their free Internet is pretty useless - so I tether to my phone, I also use it for my laptop. And pretty well any time I need a book, and I'm not at home - such as large waits in Hospitals, and you run out of books :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Gracias

Usually when I'm in a Premier Inn, as their free Internet is pretty useless - so I tether to my phone, I also use it for my laptop. And pretty well any time I need a book, and I'm not at home - such as large waits in Hospitals, and you run out of books :D

Noted. My issue is sim only deal with Sky is 10Gb a month. (Also not much in piggy bank)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Gracias

Noted. My issue is sim only deal with Sky is 10Gb a month. (Also not much in piggy bank)

Which is fine for everyday email and web-browsing. Also, for downloading books on a Kindle. More of an issue if you are streaming video, though (especially in HD or 4K UHD).
    https://www.switchcraft.co.uk/broadband/speed/how-much-data-does-streaming-use/
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ta

Gracias

I use my work phone, which has unlimited data :D - I purposely choose it that way, even though my data usage is generally fairly low, other than periodic high usage tethering. I've even used it at work when the Internet is down.

Biggest issue is it's limited to only 10mbps.