Options

3 network - anygood?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,878
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi

im currently on 02, and thinking of changing to 3. Are they any good? Seen the coverage for my area is very good.

Comments

• Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Been with them coming up for 2 years. I would recommend them. Best 3G coverage in the UK and if there's no 3G coverage your phone will roam on to Orange, very cheap deals, the only problem is their customer service which is based in India can be very hit and miss, but I've only had to use it twice so not too much of an issue for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    pje1979 wrote:
    Been with them coming up for 2 years. I would recommend them. Best 3G coverage in the UK and if there's no 3G coverage your phone will roam on to Orange, very cheap deals, the only problem is their customer service which is based in India can be very hit and miss, but I've only had to use it twice so not too much of an issue for me.

Currentl roams to orange and o2 in sussex. Been with them 5 years and no issues that haven't been major.

And they do have a UK C/S office...

Be careful with companies offering CASHBACK DEALS.. Some have very tight rules on how to claim it. 3 do have some direct deals, but you need to decide if you text more or call more... and with them offering FREE itemised billing, free calls, free text, free internet access (planet 3 services)..

I would again recommend.
  • Options
    intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Same as last 2 posters
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto here. Very happy with them, have been for years.
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Not had any connection problems over the 15 months I've been with them.

On the down side, the foreign call centres have been awful in my experience, and the range of higher end phones is abysmal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did one of the cash back deals but it backfired on me lol but now ive sorted it out im very happy with 3
  • Options
    Radio Ga-GaRadio Ga-Ga Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    If you're going to buy from them, buy from 3 directly rather than a company like Phones4U as these offer deals where you would pay £30 a month, and if it was half price line rental, you have to pay 4 months of £30 then send your bills back to them and they'll give you a cheque for £60. It's very hit and miss, whereas with 3 they'll just charge you the half price to start with.

The Customer Services, well if you're good with technology and fairly smart, then you'll be fine, as you won't need to use them.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good place to read customer comments about products and services is Reviewcentre.

They have sections on all the mobile phone networks where users can leave feedback about ther experiences.

Their 3 section is here: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews12640.html

BTW Nobody apart from selected 3 employees have been on the network for 5 years as it lauched on the 3rd of March 2003!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Same same. Excellent. The "My 3" service is a great tool too. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    The product and network itself is pretty good but their customer service is dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Currentl roams to orange and o2 in sussex. Been with them 5 years and no issues that haven't been major.

They only launched in March 2003. Not meaning to be pernickety. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    bingnishi wrote:
    They only launched in March 2003. Not meaning to be pernickety. ;)

was just about to say the same thing, +
    does anyone remember what 3 was like at the very beginning, I got my first 3 handset about 2 years ago but what were they like before that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a word, awful. They had no sustainable technology for 2g-3g handover. Hence, all calls would drop if you moved out of 3g range. They also had terrible problems with calls not connecting.
    Watchdog did a "Special" on them.

Oh the memories. :-)
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the network may be able to hand over from Three on 3G to Orange 2G mid-call now, provided the latest SIM updates have been received, and that the handset is "up to it".

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=55913
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well gf got contract but where she lives she gets "emergency calls only" but on a full signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gazdudeuk wrote:
    well gf got contract but where she lives she gets "emergency calls only" but on a full signal.

Obviously a fault as Emergency calls only should not come up at all, even when you don't have signal on either network. I've been with them for 3 years and had 3 phones with them, I've never ever seen 'emergency calls only'. This is not a message displayed by Three or Orange. The only network that displays that message was 02 I think.

I think you must have the dual network setting off. Go to the network settings and look for that.

Give them a call on 333
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intheknow wrote:
    Obviously a fault as Emergency calls only should not come up at all, even when you don't have signal on either network. I've been with them for 3 years and had 3 phones with them, I've never ever seen 'emergency calls only'. This is not a message displayed by Three or Orange. The only network that displays that message was 02 I think.

I think you must have the dual network setting off. Go to the network settings and look for that.

Give them a call on 333

would network settings be on sony erricsson w850i>?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somewhere like Menu -> settings -> network settings

Three will have a script for it if you phone them up, they will follow the instructions on screen with you to put it on the right settings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    intheknow wrote:

Give them a call on 333
    It will come up 'Emergency calls only' when it finds a network that it doesn't have an agreement with - From what has been said I guess it's finding Vodafone or T-Mobile but no 3/O2/Orange coverage. Although there isn't coverage for normal calls, the phone will be allowed to talk to any network for 999 calls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nitram wrote:
    It will come up 'Emergency calls only' when it finds a network that it doesn't have an agreement with - From what has been said I guess it's finding Vodafone or T-Mobile but no 3/O2/Orange coverage. Although there isn't coverage for normal calls, the phone will be allowed to talk to any network for 999 calls.

well my partner, was previously on orange and had no probs....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nitram wrote:

Wrong, you cannot make emergency calls on any other network other than your home network in the UK. Please don't tell people this, they may waste valuable time in a fire or emergency trying to get a call out when it's in this state.

See this thread .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i got my 3 sim card this morning, and put it in my old phone that i had 02 network on, and its working!!! just gotta top it up!
  • Options
    DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was with 3 from August 2004 and i went through 6 faulty phones because all kept turning off and restarting and one even made a high pitched whistle when in calls. Once the 6th one was showing its faulty side (by this time it was round about May 2005) i took it back, demanded a refund and havent been near them since. And i dont ever intend on touching them again ...

Have noticed on 3G Forum now that 3 use Orange 3G when there is no 3 coverage and all the services still work on that as well as the seamless switching which means no more dropped calls. The dropped calls is one reason me and a lot of other customers left as well as the poor customer service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DXRulz wrote:
    Was with 3 from August 2004 and i went through 6 faulty phones because all kept turning off and restarting and one even made a high pitched whistle when in calls. Once the 6th one was showing its faulty side (by this time it was round about May 2005) i took it back, demanded a refund and havent been near them since. And i dont ever intend on touching them again ...

Have noticed on 3G Forum now that 3 use Orange 3G when there is no 3 coverage and all the services still work on that as well as the seamless switching which means no more dropped calls. The dropped calls is one reason me and a lot of other customers left as well as the poor customer service.

In fairness they had only been in business 18 months back then and it was a long time ago, they have got better.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can agree I used 3 on pay go about 2 and a half years ago and they were crap!

However I got an N80 on contract back in December 2006 and I can't fault them! I have 3g signal wherever I go, never had a dropped call and the times I have needed to call CS to change price plan and disable voicemail there were quick and easy to deal with! (Makes a change with indian call centers I know!)

Would Recommend!