Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   TV Shows: UK (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Playing it Straight making a return (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1605769)

PythonFang 26-12-2011 19:56

Playing it Straight making a return
 
Anyone remember this incredibly trashy yet highly addictive show from 2005? It was a cowboy themed dating show hosted by June Sarpong where if the woman chose a straight man in the end the two of them would walk away with 50,000 each. However, if she chose a gay man she'd get nothing and the gay guy would get it all. I just remembered it earlier today so did some online searching for it and it seems to be making a return after all this time!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/p...es-2/episode-1

It's now hosted by Jameela Jamil, narrated by Alan Carr and is on E4 instead of Channel 4 (makes sense I guess :D). It starts Monday 9th of January.

Anyone else remember this show? Excited for it's return? It seems the theme has changed to a Spanish one as well.

KornerKabin 26-12-2011 19:58

Oh yes, total trash and I loved it!

"It's time for you to leave the Hacienda ... but before you go, I've got to know ... "

:D :D :D

SoapyJo 26-12-2011 20:04

I remember it totally! Thought it was great.
I even mentioned it in The Bachelor thread earlier this year :D

Verence 26-12-2011 20:14

Complete and utter rubbish but enjoyably so :)

PythonFang 27-12-2011 16:09

The 2005 series is available on 4od/youtube and have watched the first 3. Some of the guys are absolutely smoking hot (The two Danny's, Ben and Marco to be precise). Am hoping that's going to be a main draw for this series as well :D.

As a gay guy as well I should really be offended by the concept of the show. It reinforces gay stereotypes to the extreme, in some ways mocks the seriousness of coming out and portrays the gay contestants as sleazy little game players as opposed to the straight ones who are "in it for love". But I really don't care, absolutely loving it!

Kapellmeister 27-12-2011 16:45

I find even the concept offensive, tbh. Whether it's 'enjoyable' or not is irrelevant.

ads84 27-12-2011 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by PythonFang (Post 55529885)
The 2005 series is available on 4od/youtube and have watched the first 3. Some of the guys are absolutely smoking hot (The two Danny's, Ben and Marco to be precise). Am hoping that's going to be a main draw for this series as well :D.

As a gay guy as well I should really be offended by the concept of the show. It reinforces gay stereotypes to the extreme, in some ways mocks the seriousness of coming out and portrays the gay contestants as sleazy little game players as opposed to the straight ones who are "in it for love". But I really don't care, absolutely loving it!

I totally agree with you about how us gays should be offended, but this show was pure fun and entertainment from start to finish - it was harmless and I bloody loved it. I let out a little squeal when I heard it was coming back! :D:o

PythonFang 28-12-2011 17:22

Watched the last few as well, it has an absolutely hilarious ending. Would definitely recommend :D.

Would also like the singing man/bard/whatever to make a return. "Is there something about..."

javjamoll84 06-01-2012 18:47

Just seen the advert for it on E4. 9pm Monday as mentioned above.

I remember the first one and parts of the US one.

Cheap, tacky yet light entertainment. :D

Must be better than Sorority Girls though.

Jackboy18 09-01-2012 21:01

Bump. It's on now on E4.

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:06

Watching :D

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:11

None of them have appealed to me so far, ha...

I think most of the gay-looking ones will turn out to be straight (like last time) :D

Paprika 09-01-2012 21:14

Loving this already. Cheese at its finest. :D

So glad they kept the hacienda theme and the bloke singing at the start!

Jackboy18 09-01-2012 21:19

My initial predictions are:

Fletcher - Straight
Sam - Gay
Levi - Straight
Sven - Straight
Filippo - Gay
Kyle - Straight
Dean - Gay
Danny - Gay
Leroy - Gay
David - Straight
Andrei - Straight

Wonder how many I'll get right. :p

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:29

Who's the guy in the dress? I reckon he is trying too hard...

Jackboy18 09-01-2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogs Head (Post 55807438)
Who's the guy in the dress? I reckon he is trying too hard...

He's called Fletcher.

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackboy18 (Post 55807595)
He's called Fletcher.

Oh, he's gone :( He was hot.

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:43

- Levi (Gay)
- Kyle (Straight)
- Sven (Gay)
- Danny (Straight)
- Leroy (Gay)
- David (Gay)
- Fillipo (Straight)
- Dean (Straight)
- Andrei (Straight)
- Sam (Gay)
- Ben (Straight)

intoxication 09-01-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogs Head (Post 55807651)
Oh, he's gone :( He was hot.

I think he's hot too and think he's gay.

Reckon one of the twins will be straight and one gay (and am hoping for an elimination where they are the last two left and she has to choose)

So far I like the woman more this year than in the last series. I can't even remember the woman in the American version but some of the guys were really, really hot. :)

Jackboy18 09-01-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogs Head (Post 55807651)
Oh, he's gone :( He was hot.

Yes, I thought he was one of the best looking. :(

I've got to say that the girl Cara isn't all that pretty imo. I thought they would have found a girl a little more pretty. :o

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 21:56

I knew Filippo would turn out to be straight :) Same as last year - the super 'gay' one turned out to be straight!

Hogs Head 09-01-2012 22:04

I didn't think the second guy would turn out to be gay! :D My gaydar is not good.

Jackboy18 09-01-2012 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackboy18 (Post 55807183)
My initial predictions are:

Fletcher - Straight
Sam - Gay
Levi - Straight
Sven - Straight
Filippo - Gay (WRONG)
Kyle - Straight (WRONG)

Dean - Gay
Danny - Gay
Leroy - Gay
David - Straight
Andrei - Straight

Wonder how many I'll get right. :p

Two wrong so far. My gaydar musn't be very good. :D

I wonder why Fletcher left. Perhaps he was gay but had second thoughts about revealing it on TV? I wish they had told us. :(

javjamoll84 09-01-2012 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoxication (Post 55808048)
Reckon one of the twins will be straight and one gay (and am hoping for an elimination where they are the last two left and she has to choose)

So far I like the woman more this year than in the last series. I can't even remember the woman in the American version but some of the guys were really, really hot. :)

I think one of the twins will be gay and one straight aswell. Though I can't remember who they are :o Or who many are...

Ahhhhh, Bradley from the US one.... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackboy18 (Post 55808661)
I wonder why Fletcher left. Perhaps he was gay but had second thoughts about revealing it on TV? I wish they had told us. :(

Same. On his Channel4 page it says his claim to fame was being 'claiming to be pulled by Kerry Katona and Louis Spence'...

Alan Carr was fab on it. :D

Fletcher - Gay
Sam - Straight
Levi - Straight
Sven - Gay
Filippo - Gay
Kyle - Gay
Dean - Straight
Danny - Gay
Leroy - Gay
David - Gay
Andrei - Straight

Master Ozzy 10-01-2012 01:00

I know one of the twins so here's a spoiler:

Spoiler


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25.