Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Freeview (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013? (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1677914)

tomee 18-06-2012 23:14

Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?
 
What do members think?

I Think it will still be here.

Everything Goes 18-06-2012 23:22

Wouldn't a better title be:

When will Tits Up TV go bust :D

tomee 18-06-2012 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everything Goes (Post 58932161)
Wouldn't a better title be:

When will Tits Up TV go bust :D

LOL members (not all) have been saying it will go bust for 3 or 4 years now.Time will tell i guest.

TV Time Mike 19-06-2012 07:07

I suppose it depends on who is running the company and what direction they see it taking.

With the football going bye-bye 2013-14 this could knock them badly and if Sky Sport 1 & 2 do vanish as BT move over to IPTV then it could be the end of the line but then again this has been said time and again over the last few years. So maybe like the cat TUTV has nine lives.

If they could get back broadcast time and get DTR units in the shops or on the website then repackage themselves with some investment they could offer a bigger service as I think their aeriel based plug and play is still a viable choice for those who aren't into internet based tv or don't want or can't have a dish. But as tomee said only time will tell.

There is also the impact of any changes after final digital switch over. Will there be more space and if so will we get more channels e.g. GOLD, Alibi or Watch on Freeview. Not likely even as a timeshare but it makes you think after all with UKTV making a deal with BT they must be raking alot of extra income and could have a time share set up on Freeview to round up extra viewers or maybe I'm being too simple to see the big picture

tomee 19-06-2012 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TV Time Mike (Post 58935407)
I suppose it depends on who is running the company and what direction they see it taking.

With the football going bye-bye 2013-14 this could knock them badly and if Sky Sport 1 & 2 do vanish as BT move over to IPTV then it could be the end of the line but then again this has been said time and again over the last few years. So maybe like the cat TUTV has nine lives.

If they could get back broadcast time and get DTR units in the shops or on the website then repackage themselves with some investment they could offer a bigger service as I think their aeriel based plug and play is still a viable choice for those who aren't into internet based tv or don't want or can't have a dish. But as tomee said only time will tell.

There is also the impact of any changes after final digital switch over. Will there be more space and if so will we get more channels e.g. GOLD, Alibi or Watch on Freeview. Not likely even as a timeshare but it makes you think after all with UKTV making a deal with BT they must be raking alot of extra income and could have a time share set up on Freeview to round up extra viewers or maybe I'm being too simple to see the big picture

I like the idea of more channel on freeview.

stuntmaster 19-06-2012 17:03

Great post Mike.

Who knows, they might end up supporting Youview with their STB. you never know.

Rambler80 19-06-2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomee (Post 58932348)
LOL members (not all) have been saying it will go bust for 3 or 4 years now.Time will tell i guest.

So you've answered your own op with this rather blase response after one person has responded knowing full well there are already half a dozen similar threads on this forum?

Any mods about to close this thread? Utterly pointless.

tomee 21-06-2012 10:12

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...&contentID=870

Quote:

Meanwhile, ESPN has kicked off an internal review of its future strategy following the loss of its Premier League rights.

A variety of options are understood to be under consideration by the broadcaster, including cutting subscription costs, targeting new rights in different sports, and merging with Sky’s sports bundle.

NEWLINEtv 21-06-2012 12:24

Source: Broadcast.

Quote:

A variety of options are understood to be under consideration by the broadcaster, including cutting
subscription costs, targeting new rights in different sports, and merging with Sky’s sports bundle.
merging with Sky’s sports bundle IMO BT need to stay separate, some customers simply don't want to be tied to Sky.

NEWLINEtv 21-06-2012 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomee (Post 58931947)
What do members think?

I Think it will still be here.

The brand is tarnished, prices are high, less value for money, I can't imaging the company surviving.

ESPN have lost football events, Sky Sports is going to be getting pulled from DTT, Top Up TV will have nothing left.

TV Time Mike 22-06-2012 07:18

Doesn't it depend on what sports ESPN get to replace the football plus we don't know for certain that BT will pull out from DTT at the moment, they could be able to spread their coverage if they see a viable return.

I'd also be interested to know how many subscribers are just using sports, how many TV Fav. and how many both.

Kipper2 08-07-2012 13:49

See thread 'TopUp TV will it survive past 2011?'
 
I think all those who posted on the 2011 thread that it wouldnt survive should be banned from posting on this one:D
Seriously I think if the BT Sports channel comes onto Freeview in addition to ESPN this will help TopUp TV.
An even bigger help to TUTV would be if Ofcom did it's job properly and rejected the spurious security concern raised by Sky about use of a CAM for Sky Sports and so let people subscribe to SS1 & SS2 via their aerial.

fozzi 13-07-2012 12:18

The security issue is not spurious. I had TUTV with a card splitter and could use it on 4 tvs. This is what you can't do with a Sky card. You have to subscribe to multi room. What makes me laugh is that according to a recent documentary it was Sky that paid a team of hackers to crack the On Digital encryption! So they know already the weaknesses in other systems.

Kipper2 13-07-2012 22:16

Is Card Splitting A Security Concern?
 
Fozzi, You were still paying a subscription though for your household. Can it be used to supply friends and neighbours? If card splitting was a serious concern wouldnt ESPN object to TopUp TV?
Cheers

Everything Goes 17-07-2012 10:22

Sky Now TV Launches

Sky have launched Now TV and it will include Sky Sports later this year. Looks like bad news for Top Up TV :eek:

The service, which does not require a contract and offers access through a choice of paying either £15 per month for “unlimited access” (Sky Movies Pass) or watching individual movies/tv shows on a pay-and-play basis (i.e. between 99p a pop for classic titles to £3.49 for more recent films), is initially available to PC, MAC and Android Smartphone/Tablet users.

Support for the Apple iPhone/iPad will follow “within the next month“, while XBox 360 and YouView users can expect to get access later this summer (PS3 and Roku support is planned for the future but Sky aren’t specific with any time-scales).

Customers who sign-up today will initially get instant access to over 1,000 titles from the Sky Movies channels (note: this reduces to over 600 if you take the “unlimited” Sky Movies Pass), which apparently includes “[up to five] new and exclusive premieres available each Friday, at least a year before any other online subscription service“. Sky also intend to add Sky Sports “before the end of the year” and other content (e.g. Sky Atlantic, Sky One and Sky Arts) in the very near future.

Apparently new customers to the Sky Movies Pass will also benefit from a free 30-day trial. But what about quality? It’s understood that HD (720p) video streams will eventually become available to XBox360 and PS3 users, among others, although at launch only Standard Definition (SD) streams are allowed and Sky told us that a stable broadband ISP download speed of 2Mbps is required.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ce-now-tv.html

http://www.nowtv.com/home

tomee 17-07-2012 16:44

Hi Everything Goes this will not help topup one bit.:D

acoolwelshbloke 17-07-2012 18:02

Why anyone would pay £15 a month for a service they can get cheaper I don't know, looking at their content they don't apear to threaten Netflix.

Sky is just over priced.

stuntmaster 19-07-2012 13:23

website name expires in 2015.

so the site will be at least up until then.

kasg 22-07-2012 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuntmaster (Post 59683123)
website name expires in 2015.

so the site will be at least up until then.

That doesn't follow at all.

azimo 26-07-2012 16:17

Sky Now at the moment is not a threat to Lovefilm or Netflix for two reasons £15 pm :eek: and its only available on a Pc or Xbox 360 with a gold sub, TUTV on the other hand is threatened by Freeview never mind Now TV/Lovefilm or Netflix, TUTV have also lost another highstreet seller, Argos no longer sell TUTV boxes :D

TelevisionUser 26-07-2012 19:07

I think it's worth posting a link to one of Digital Spy's own stories here about the latest TalkTalk developments in respect of Youview: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...top-boxes.html

TalkTalk believes that its YouView offering has "a natural upgrade path for the 7.5m Freeview customers", although it will have to compete in that market with rival BT - also a shareholder in YouView. To pull in customers, TalkTalk has agreed a deal with Sky to that will bring Sky's premium channels to the TalkTalk TV offering, including all the Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels.

That is exactly the type of bold and innovative move that the senior executives at Top Up TV should have been making and unless they start coming up with similar service improvements then they do run the risk of being sidelined.

TV Time Mike 27-07-2012 07:20

Much as I like the plug and play aspect of TUTV I must agree with TelevisionUser that the company's bosses are freewheeling and unless they look at the next step forward then it will only be a matter of time before the service goes.

And azimo the ever present ray of sun shine, didn't you suggest when the DTR units for TV Fav. were no longer available that the end was just around the corner?:)

I don't think any of us know, really, what is going on with TUTV. The hardware not being for sale could be as much about direct selling as any thing negative or could be in preparation for newer equipment coming out. It's a matter of wait and see.

azimo 29-07-2012 21:11

The slow but certain death of TUTV its only a matter of time :p

TV Time Mike 30-07-2012 07:29

So it the death of us all but we all don't spend our free time planning the funeral.;)

I just think that a positive view is a rather nice change that's all:D

lstar337 30-07-2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by azimo (Post 59948223)
The slow but certain death of TUTV its only a matter of time :p

You could say that about anything. Everything is slowly dying, including us.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35.