Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album) (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1711028)

owenrmeredith 05-08-2012 15:45

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)
 
Lady Gaga has now confirmed that 'ARTPOP' is the title for her 4th studio album.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...4us9o1_400.png - confirming it on Littlemonster.com chat;

also on twitter;
"@ladygaga
make sure when writing about my new album/project ARTPOP that you CAPITALIZE the title, *its all in the details* good morning twitter!"

Then also with her new tattoo she posted a few days ago;
http://t.co/BFv1jffG

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 16:12

you know i am very very intrigued about this prject.

Decay of Icons and Fame etc....i really think it will echo back to the Candy Warhol videos she had during The Fame epriod of promo etc which will be interesting to hear and see.

i really hope it all goes well for her...Born This Way is her best album by far, while there is some filler overall it was very good...so hopefully with "ARTPOP" she can make it really work and have a really strongly conceptualised album with something real and big to say.

Tryon 05-08-2012 16:52

This album could cemented Lady Gaga credentinals to being a Pop ICON herself

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryon (Post 60156617)
This album could cemented Lady Gaga credentinals to being a Pop ICON herself

Well this album is the true tester!

She has had massive commercial success due to The Fame/Monster. over 15 million copies sold WW. together!

She had minor backlash but still had success with Born This Way over 6 million copies sld together.

So with ARTPOP if she really pushes herself out there this third album will be the real maker for her or breaker....will she really tap into her influences correctly/will she have the right imagery, will she promote sufficiently...will she over-kill it? will she under-perform it??

its gonna be exciting to see if she does cut it.

elasticlove 05-08-2012 17:08

I absolutely loathe the title ARTPOP.

little-monster 05-08-2012 17:38

Hmm interesting

I would love it if Andy Warhol was incorporated into this era somehow. I am a huge fan of his work.

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by little-monster (Post 60158107)
Hmm interesting

I would love it if Andy Warhol was incorporated into this era somehow. I am a huge fan of his work.

yeah like an ironic look at his work....what if Warhol was in the 21st century?? it could be interestin and could o one of 3 ways tbh!

little-monster 05-08-2012 17:53

I wonder if she will incorporate the icon Edie Sedgwick into it somehow, who was an actress/Model but more famous as Andy Warhol's Muse. Edie remains very much a tragic fashion icon to this day and Gaga has previously given a shout out to previous Tragic Icons like Monroe, Garland and Diana.

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 18:01

oooh that would be very interesting yeah i know she was in several of Warhols more smutty alternative style films...could definitely be an aspect.

A journey into the world of bad taste.

PopularCulture 05-08-2012 18:11

Times are desperate when you have to SHOUT to get attention
either that or shes just copying ADELE.

tracystapes 05-08-2012 18:12

I don't think she's shouting at all. Thankfully the best act in pop is returning and we will have no more of this lyrical meaningless we have now.

Hav_mor91 05-08-2012 18:12

I like it its less pretentious than the last three and seemingly more mature although art pop, pop art one in the same and she was saying during The Fame era im all pop art ad nauseaum lets hope its a step forward rather than back and the music not persona takes centre stage this will be a true tester of her as a musician nor a pop star if she wants to be in the league of her idols gotta step it up a notch or three or four or even five :p.

benana93 05-08-2012 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracystapes (Post 60159120)
I don't think she's shouting at all. Thankfully the best act in pop is returning and we will have no more of this lyrical meaningless we have now.

I agree. The album title looks much better being entirely in capital letters.

ICON111 05-08-2012 18:17

So we should be expecting the first single around October/November time if it is coming out in early 2013 (Feb 2013).

_BollyKnickers_ 05-08-2012 18:21

I kinda like it...

toanythingtaboo 05-08-2012 18:29

I don't think it'll be a literal exploration of Warhol (pop art, Edie, The Factory etc), more a spin on his philosophies. Particularly his views on the fabrication of fame and rather sinister fascination with the deterioration of the icon.

I don't love the name (yet), but it's only a title.

Really excited to hear what she's coming up with. Bring it, Gags.

Hit Em Up Style 05-08-2012 18:31

When exactly is it out though? I mean if the album isn't out until the Spring why on earth is she announcing stuff like this now?

Building up so much hype too early just leads to negative reviews when it doesn't live up to what people expected due to months of hype building. Too much, too soon.

toanythingtaboo 05-08-2012 18:46

The album may not be out till March/April, but the lead single will be out in October/November and they're effectively kicking off the campaign in August/September with the perfume launch.

It appears that the perfume has been timed to 'prep the oven' for new music. Essentially, announce the album title and release date so the music and perfume co-promote.

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by toanythingtaboo (Post 60160213)
The album may not be out till March/April, but the lead single will be out in October/November and they're effectively kicking off the campaign in August/September with the perfume launch.

It appears that the perfume has been timed to 'prep the oven' for new music. Essentially, announce the album title and release date so the music and perfume co-promote.

its all a very unusual way to do it but it is kinda clever to...i mean whether it all works of course we will find out Spring next year by sounds of it.

Focusing on fragrance and new single launch this Oct/Nov will be interesting too to co-promote...i mean she hasnt had a chart topper in the UK since Telephone so will be interesting how the market it over here too :) and with winter period/X Factor etc all around there is potential.

And yeah the idea and concepts of Warhol more than what he represented i reckon is another idea and approach.

As long as there is bad taste aplenty ill be there for it :D

Kellie B 05-08-2012 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by elasticlove (Post 60157107)
I absolutely loathe the title ARTPOP.

She has walked straight into this. When it doesn't match the 10 months of pre hype people will dub it FARTPOP :rolleyes:

BadKid95 05-08-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryon (Post 60156617)
This album could cemented Lady Gaga credentinals to being a Pop ICON herself

Agreed this is the important album, that will affect the rest of her career, as I've mentioned with Josh Pinder, if she goes down a Madonna route or a Cyndi Lauper route

Josh Pinder 05-08-2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadKid95 (Post 60160721)
Agreed this is the important album, that will affect the rest of her career, as I've mentioned with Josh Pinder, if she goes down a Madonna route or a Cyndi Lauper route

That is true...you did...we did...i have it in a frame above the mantle....i look at it from time to time...we did definitely mention that :) ;)

But it is true...i mean the first album is either the massive launch or the im here, but wait till album 2....but with gaga The Fame was even bigger than she anticipated i think with her hits that kept coming for over a year.

With Born This Way she has her fans from the debut album era, and she has new ones to try and connect with...it worked to a degree but because of the darker and intense production some were left out...also it is mainly focused to her fanbase too which i feel isolated some but still...6 million aint bad ;)

but album 3 is the...all rounder this will be her status for the decade or the....oh dear gaga....but of course i hope musically its top, shows her off as an artist, lyricist and voice....lets hope! :cool:

BadKid95 05-08-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Pinder (Post 60160905)
That is true...you did...we did...i have it in a frame above the mantle....i look at it from time to time...we did definitely mention that :) ;)

But it is true...i mean the first album is either the massive launch or the im here, but wait till album 2....but with gaga The Fame was even bigger than she anticipated i think with her hits that kept coming for over a year.

With Born This Way she has her fans from the debut album era, and she has new ones to try and connect with...it worked to a degree but because of the darker and intense production some were left out...also it is mainly focused to her fanbase too which i feel isolated some but still...6 million aint bad ;)

but album 3 is the...all rounder this will be her status for the decade or the....oh dear gaga....but of course i hope musically its top, shows her off as an artist, lyricist and voice....lets hope! :cool:

Hahaha! You were digging deep, I remember :p

Yeah hopefully this will be the album were she can gain back casual listeners and fans lost during the BTW era as well as getting some new people on board, every era for most artists gains them new fans and musically I hope it's a different direction too, not completely but we see her going into unexplored territory

toanythingtaboo 05-08-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Pinder (Post 60160335)
its all a very unusual way to do it but it is kinda clever to...i mean whether it all works of course we will find out Spring next year by sounds of it.

Focusing on fragrance and new single launch this Oct/Nov will be interesting too to co-promote...i mean she hasnt had a chart topper in the UK since Telephone so will be interesting how the market it over here too :) and with winter period/X Factor etc all around there is potential.

And yeah the idea and concepts of Warhol more than what he represented i reckon is another idea and approach.

As long as there is bad taste aplenty ill be there for it :D

It's a pretty logical marketing strategy.

Chart toppers =/= hits. She had big hits with BTW and TEOG in 2011, so I doubt they're concerned on that front. Especially when the former only missed out because of the day they released it on, which is easily amended providing they're paying attention to non-US markets.

Hit Em Up Style 05-08-2012 19:26

But Gaga is in the middle of a world tour. How can she be expected to promote a new album/single bang in the middle of that? plus how does a new album release in the middle of a tour effect that tour? its alright chatting in a private chatroom to ''monsters'' but its the general public she needs to be appealing to.

It seems to me they are rushing this out for some reason and after the balls up they made with Born This Way I expected them to have learned their lession. It doesn't appear to be the case.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:53.