Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   TV Shows: US (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Cheers on ITV4 (Merged) (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1750278)

cody jarrett 25-10-2012 16:38

Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)
 
Yes that's right, classic sitcom Cheers is being shown from episode one nightly, Monday to Friday as of next week (Mon 29th). Two episodes each night from 7pm.

lovedoctor1978 25-10-2012 16:42

great news, but why 7pm though??? would have worked better at 9 i would have thought.

koantemplation 25-10-2012 17:22

CBS have seasons 1 to 4 on a loop with 2 episodes a day shown at 6pm.

I wonder if ITV4 will carry on with season 5 once they get to the end of 4?

spearce8 25-10-2012 18:01

Just seen the advert, it states all episodes, and in HD I noticed (Sky planner) although they didn't mention that. I know they were re-mastered a couple of years back in 16:9 (like Friends) be interesting to see if ITV4 crop them, shot on Film originally so they should look mighty fine, was hoping for a Blu release of some sort, instead we have to make do with the recent complete DVD collection only :mad:

Virgil Tracy 25-10-2012 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearce8 (Post 61906818)
Just seen the advert, it states all episodes, and in HD I noticed (Sky planner) although they didn't mention that. I know they were re-mastered a couple of years back in 16:9 (like Friends) be interesting to see if ITV4 crop them, shot on Film originally so they should look mighty fine, was hoping for a Blu release of some sort, instead we have to make do with the recent complete DVD collection only :mad:

does a HD broadcast correct the frame rate (from 25 to 24fps?) , 'cos I'd heard that Blu-Rays do .

Seymour Cat 26-10-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virgil Tracy (Post 61907855)
does a HD broadcast correct the frame rate (from 25 to 24fps?) , 'cos I'd heard that Blu-Rays do .

In theory yes, in practice no.

loracan 26-10-2012 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearce8 (Post 61906818)
Just seen the advert, it states all episodes, and in HD I noticed (Sky planner) although they didn't mention that. I know they were re-mastered a couple of years back in 16:9 (like Friends) be interesting to see if ITV4 crop them, shot on Film originally so they should look mighty fine, was hoping for a Blu release of some sort, instead we have to make do with the recent complete DVD collection only :mad:

It's good to hear they were remastered, I loved Cheers originally but have found it difficult to watch due to quality (loving Ted Danson in CSI at present)

dadioflex 26-10-2012 15:13

Oh I am so recording this.

Gulfam1 26-10-2012 16:42

So glad I didnt start watching on CBS Drama who started from season 1 again recently

derek500 26-10-2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody jarrett (Post 61905116)
Yes that's right, classic sitcom Cheers is being shown from episode one nightly, Monday to Friday as of next week (Mon 29th). Two episodes each night from 7pm.

With so much to watch, it's hard to commit to two episodes per day.

Much prefer Sky Atlantic's Seinfeld schedule, with just two episodes per week.

alexsim2004 27-10-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virgil Tracy (Post 61907855)
does a HD broadcast correct the frame rate (from 25 to 24fps?) , 'cos I'd heard that Blu-Rays do .

As the HD Broadcast uses the DVB-S2 standard - 24p is not supported, only PAL 25 fps, which means it will be sped up as usual, making it unwatchable :mad:

You are correct about Blu Rays though - they support 24 fps so no speed up for them.

Gulfam1 27-10-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 61924228)
With so much to watch, it's hard to commit to two episodes per day.

Much prefer Sky Atlantic's Seinfeld schedule, with just two episodes per week.

I agree

Paul Wilson 28-10-2012 11:19

Thanks so much for the info! One of the greatest sitcoms ever made, it's been treated shamefully by terrestrial tv.

Diane; 'I can't stand looking at your fat, ugly face again! Now get out!'
Sam; 'Aw, come on, I'm losing the mood here, Diane.'

cody jarrett 28-10-2012 12:15

If 7pm isn't handy there's a repeat of each episode the following afternoon around 1.45pm

homer2012 28-10-2012 20:08

got them set to record :)

Gulfam1 29-10-2012 12:53

I will be watching this show for the first time, anyone else?

Paul Wilson 29-10-2012 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulfam1 (Post 61987078)
I will be watching this show for the first time, anyone else?

Not for the first time, but you are in for a real treat. Just bear in mind that - in common with a lot of US tv - it might take you a while to warm to the characters. Carla for instance is borderline evil. But stick with 'em. The show's the very definition of 'they don't make 'em like that anymore.'

WhisperingGhost 29-10-2012 19:00

Why are people so excited about this when it's been shown on CBS for months now. Is it really picture quality that gets people excited? The quality on CBS has been fine for me.

spearce8 29-10-2012 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhisperingGhost (Post 61993934)
Why are people so excited about this when it's been shown on CBS for months now. Is it really picture quality that gets people excited? The quality on CBS has been fine for me.

Well watch CBS, and then watch ITV4 HD, watching the first Ep now, streets apart, lovely HD pic, and OAR, well done ITV4 (don't often say that) here's hoping for the Blu's one day :)

Oh, and anyone watching this for the first time, stick with it,IMO it starts slow but rapidly improves when Sam/Diana get together, which is S2 onwards, do I need a Spoiler for a 30yr old Comedy :D

Gulfam1 29-10-2012 20:15

Yes Im glad ITV didnt go for the widescreen HD prints it looks great in OAR tbh even Cheers upscaled on ITV4 would have looked better than CBS Drama

Gulftastic 29-10-2012 20:49

Even on my non-HD telly it looks great.

Gulfam1 29-10-2012 21:03

Really enjoyed the first two episodes here's hoping they're planning on airing all the seasons although I would have preferred one episode a day or better still if they showed 2 eps a week like Seinfeld on Sky Atlantic

spearce8 29-10-2012 21:07

Only a slight gripe, but it would appear that Eps will be trimmed here and there for timing. Noticed a few perfectly innocent lines/few secs removed in the second Ep.

Gulftastic 29-10-2012 21:09

Quick heads up for anyone looking to record them but finding it clashes with other things, the episodes are repeated the following day at 2pm.

notlurkingnow 29-10-2012 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhisperingGhost (Post 61993934)
Why are people so excited about this when it's been shown on CBS for months now. Is it really picture quality that gets people excited? The quality on CBS has been fine for me.

I'm excited because it was one of my favourite programmes back in the day and I've always wanted to see it again, but because I didn't know it had been on CBS this is my first chance to see how it stands the test of time.

Watching on ITV4+1 just now and it still looks good.

For anyone who wants the box set on DVD it's out now at Zavvi for 44.95 (it's on my Christmas list - just hope they buy it for me because I'm not recording this )


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:53.