Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Movies (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   "Up" (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1778570)

Doghouse Riley 03-01-2013 13:43

"Up"
 
Anyone see this cartoon film over the holiday?

Absolutely brilliant.

As someone else pointed out to me, the old fella reminded us of Spencer Tracy.

Shappy 03-01-2013 13:51

I loved the beginning bit where they show Ellie and the guy's love story, and the bit near the end where he's in the house and looking through the album and sees that she's added their married life adventures.

I didn't like the other bits much - maybe because everyone I knew had such high praise for it that my expectations were way too inflated.

777Eilidh 03-01-2013 13:53

I saw it at the cinema when it first came out and wished I hadn't bothered going. Sorry!

Doghouse Riley 03-01-2013 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shappy (Post 63325683)
I loved the beginning bit where they show Ellie and the guy's love story, and the bit near the end where he's in the house and looking through the album and sees that she's added their married life adventures.

I didn't like the other bits much - maybe because everyone I knew had such high praise for it that my expectations were way too inflated.

Yes, that bit was quite a thought provoking scene.

But much of the middle bit I still found amusing. Particularly the dogs and where....."Squirrel!"

barnsleykeith 03-01-2013 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley (Post 63325573)
Anyone see this cartoon film over the holiday?

Absolutely brilliant.

As someone else pointed out to me, the old fella reminded us of Spencer Tracy.

Fantastic film.

Carl is loosely based on Asner's Lou Grant character. Carl is meant to look like Spencer Tracey in his his final appearance on film - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

MrsBK says Carl reminds her of me.

Rorschach 03-01-2013 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 777Eilidh (Post 63325707)
I saw it at the cinema when it first came out and wished I hadn't bothered going. Sorry!

No need to apologise to us, it was your time and money you wasted after all. :D

The wife and I took our daughter to see this at the cinema (in 3D no less) and we all loved it (and at least two of us cried on more than one occassion...although I can't seem to recall which two now of course...ahem).

We also have the DVD, and watched it again the other day when it was on TV. One of Pixar's best and frankly I feel it should have won the Best Picture Oscar it was nominated for.

Midnight Moggy 03-01-2013 14:00

I think Up is phenomenal, and like nothing else in animated films before or since. It has a very unusual storyline. I think it is very deserving of all the award nominations, praise, etc that it received.

Dai13371 03-01-2013 14:02

Tried to, but I just don't "get" Pixar. Leaves me cold. Nick Park and Aardman on the other hand....

IJoinedInMay 03-01-2013 14:04

I enjoyed it but it's not even my favourite animated film (that goes to Shrek 1), let alone my favourite film of any genre. I don't think it's fair to call "Up" overrated as that may suggest it's not a good film, which I don't feel is the case however, I don't see the greatness in it that others seem to see.

Billy_Value 03-01-2013 14:08

this should be in the movie forum

Midnight Moggy 03-01-2013 14:09

It was the way they showed the main character's early life and how he dealt with the loss of his wife. Very unusual for something that is ostensibly a children's film. Also the inventiveness, the detail, the characters, and the way the film looked.

Doghouse Riley 03-01-2013 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy_Value (Post 63325990)
this should be in the movie forum

No it shouldn't, as it was shown on TV, so counts as a TV programme.

If it were just shown at cinemas, you'd have a point.

You've actually added nothing to the thread, so let those who want to, either praise or criticism, continue to do so.

Sclark78 03-01-2013 15:09

Brilliant film.

rbdcay 03-01-2013 15:15

Well OP this must be a first. You actually liking something on the telly...

I agree however that UP was fantastic, my husband and I (Both big old grownups) loved it and it was so poignant and sad in places but hilarious in others.

Loved Russell the little lad and his affection for the bird. Great characters all around.

Billy_Value 03-01-2013 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley (Post 63326927)
No it shouldn't, as it was shown on TV, so counts as a TV programme.

If it were just shown at cinemas, you'd have a point.

You've actually added nothing to the thread, so let those who want to, either praise or criticism, continue to do so.

you are wrong it is a movie not a tv programme, movies should be discussed in the movie forum and as this is a MOVIE it should be in the Movie forum

by they way i didnt like the ''tv programme'' i saw it when it was released, i hope the don't make it into a series of ''tv programmes''

donna255 03-01-2013 15:30

I loved it!!!!!!!

Eraserhead 03-01-2013 15:40

It's a great little film with an original story which appeals across a very broad spectrum (a proper family film). The animation is superb. And unusually for an American film it manages to tug at the heartstrings a bit without being saccharine, schmaltzy or sentimental.

And it's a great visual metaphor for having to let go. The old guy is literally tied to his old house (and his past).

catinabasket 03-01-2013 15:54

I wondered how Kevin managed to produce chicks when I thought he /she was the last of his/her kind:confused:

AJPovey 03-01-2013 15:57

I love Up, not as good as Toy Story or Finding Nemo, but definitely one of Pixar's A grade standard films. That aside, I personally didn't find it particularly emotional. Maybe that's because grown shouldn't cry at films, I don't know.

Lazlo_St_Pierre 03-01-2013 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shappy (Post 63325683)
I loved the beginning bit where they show Ellie and the guy's love story, and the bit near the end where he's in the house and looking through the album and sees that she's added their married life adventures.
.

Loved this so much. Probs because I saw a lot of myself in Carl and a lot of an ex-girlfriend in bossy-but-kind Ellie.

It was heart-wrenching that Carl went around thinking he had let Ellie down by never taking her on 'an adventure', but then realised that for Ellie, it hadn't mattered, that married life had been the adventure and she'd been happy with that.

And Russell turned out to be the kid Carl and Ellie never had... to give him the Ellie Badge at the end... wahhhhhhh! :cry:


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:38.