Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Movies (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Gangster Squad (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1782234)

Gawge 10-01-2013 15:19

Gangster Squad

Anybody else seen this yet then?

I was expecting good things, given the cast and what seemed to be the basic premise. But unfortunately I was massively disappointed.

To me, it felt like a kids movie for large parts. There was very little tension, characters where thrown in, each possessing a classic movie cliché. The plot itself was decent, but didn't go close to its potential. Also, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone did pretty much nothing.

JulesHolland 10-01-2013 16:27

I personally haven't seen it, but I'm been saying for months that I think it will be rubbish.

It just looks like a throw together with very little premise to it. The story line just looks and sounds non-existent.

Really wanted it to be good, but I just don't think it will be in the league of Public Enemies.

Stansfield 10-01-2013 19:51

At first I was sold on the title alone.....but seeing the Trailer and not one good Review, I think I will not even bother getting the DVD.

Takae 10-01-2013 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gawge (Post 63480947)
I was expecting good things, given the cast and what seemed to be the basic premise. But unfortunately I was massively disappointed.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I had been looking forward to seeing it, even though I knew it may be similar to The Untouchables, which I didn't like that much.

PJ68 10-01-2013 23:02

went to a screening the other week, total style over substance. if i see one more slo-mo machine gun shoot out...

none of the characters seemed to have any depth. josh brolin is a rubbish actor i think..

Aerick 10-01-2013 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ68 (Post 63493209)
. if i see one more slo-mo machine gun shoot out...

OMG I was going to say a similar thing. But mine was "if I see another slow mo BULLET racing towards its target lol.

I've no interest in seeing this. Haviing seem the trailers at the cinema for the past month, I"ve seen all I need to see. I was checking tomorrow showtimes at a theatre near me and notice this will be on 3 screens. Doens't surprise me. Friday night crowd.

Old.Tallen 11-01-2013 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takae (Post 63489392)
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I had been looking forward to seeing it, even though I knew it may be similar to The Untouchables, which I didn't like that much.

It is not as good as The Unouchables, that speaks volumes I would say.

The story is superficial, the acting is hammy and the action sequences made me want to bang my head on the seat infront.

When you get half a theatre laughing out loud at how bad some sequences are, you know something is wrong.

Still, i actually quite enjoyed this film, it won't win any oscars and a few acting careers might not survive it but it has it's moments.

RAZORBACK 12-01-2013 00:01

Went to see it on Monday & although it wasn't anywhere near as good as 'L.A Confidential' or 'The Untouchables' I still really enjoyed it...

Amanda_Raymond 12-01-2013 00:55

Thought it was brilliant but I didn't take it seriously, but as an edge of your seat action movie thought it worked really well

Old.Tallen 12-01-2013 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda_Raymond (Post 63518476)
Thought it was brilliant but I didn't take it seriously, but as an edge of your seat action movie thought it worked really well

I found the action sequences unnecessary filler in some cases, but I can definitely see your point of view, if you don't take it too seriously it is enjoyable :)

rachelright 14-01-2013 09:54

I think I'll still go and see it just for Ryan Gosling really lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDOmFsyyvPw

nh3com 15-01-2013 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda_Raymond (Post 63518476)

saw it last night and agree it was pretty darn good, mindless fun.

ryan gosling, does he always talk like that, bit girly?

ASIFZED 15-01-2013 20:30

Good, nasty, fast-paced violent fun. A nice companion piece (though not as high a quality), to The Untouchables. I didn't mind the occasional slo-mo sequences and yes, the writing on the wall was obvious for some of the (thinly drawn) characters.

But as far as a good, old fashioned shootem-up goes and ideal fodder for a Saturday night, this hits the mark. In a sea of current 'worthy' films (Life of Pi, The Impossible, Les Mis..), Gangster Squad is a top 'bloke' movie, with blood, guts, fisticuffs and a gorgeous Emma Stone strutting her stuff. It won't win any awards, but highly recommended. And Sean Penn is great!

Rating: 8/10.

TardisSteve 16-01-2013 21:25

mer sand my girlkfriend went to see this today, thought it was a highly enjoyable film, great cast, not as as some gangster films i have seen but still a highly recommended one

Syntax Error 19-01-2013 11:37

I enjoyed this film & thought Sean Penn was great.