Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Showbiz (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Quentin Tarantino shouts at Krishnan Guru-Murthy (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1782706)

Digital Sid 11-01-2013 15:38

Quentin Tarantino shouts at Krishnan Guru-Murthy
 
http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity-me...rview-meltdown

4 minutes 30

Looks off his face.

Delboy219 11-01-2013 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Sid (Post 63503020)

Are you implying that Krishnan was on drugs? :confused:

soundstory 11-01-2013 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy219 (Post 63504099)
Are you implying that Krishnan was on drugs? :confused:

other way round I think

dmuk 11-01-2013 17:47

I would pay good money to see Tarantino shut someone's butt down.

I don't even know what it means, but it's Tarantino, so would probably look awesome.

HaloJoe 11-01-2013 17:53

Promotion tactic maybe? Not that any of his films need much promoting!

lexi22 11-01-2013 17:56

Haha QT on excellent form! :D And also, how many times does he need to be asked the same question re violence in films? Can't wait to see django unchained.

KGM needs to have a watch of the recent THR's directors' roundtable, might give him a few pointers on how to get a great conversation going with QT.

downtonfan 11-01-2013 18:03

He's making movies for 20 years. Violent shootings have been ten a penny since the gun was invented. QT has to explain nothing.

pmw_hewitt 11-01-2013 18:12

I don't really blame Quentin in a way - when he has to answer the same loaded question for 20 years about how he and his camera is more to blame for gun crimes than guns are, it must be pretty tiring.

Becky Sharpe 11-01-2013 18:16

Tarantino's cinematic 'Marmite', you either love him or *puts tin hat on*....... Imho QT seems overrated, a movie-nerd who takes clips from his favourite obscure films , remakes them with American actors - then claims the credit. So he's kind of lucky to be of interest to C4 news, as opposed to an interviewer from a late night film buff show. Saying that, KGM was being cheeky in trying to raise the sensitive topic of the Sandy Hook killings, especially to an American film maker. On the other hand, given all the practice QT says he has had dealing with similar questions ... no problem, I would have thought ;)

alfster 11-01-2013 18:21

I think Tarantino was right there, Guru-Murthy a minute before had to be corrected 'and the rape..' pause by QT...'there is no rape in the movie.'

Guru-Murthy pushed the same question a number of times about violence...why do you like making violent films...QT explained very lucidly about violence and the different types and then Guru-Murthy asked a really poor, tedious question about links between film and real violence hoping to get some sound bite and QT refused...it's old stuff it's poor and QT was there for to advertise the film...and Channel 4 were doing it to get people to watch...it's a mutual win-win.

Django Unchained addresses slavery etc that's really more important than some hackneyed Daily Mail question by Guru-Murthy who should have known better.

QT was answering with energy and giving very good clear answers and was full filling his part of the bargain on the interview...I really don;t like it when interviewers try and score points.

i.e.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...go-ben-affleck

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs8...s#.UPBX5UPyj_Y

The 'interviewer/questioner' asked 'what's it like being a Skype father?'

alfster 11-01-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky Sharpe (Post 63505809)
trying to raise the sensitive topic of the Sandy Hook killings [especially to an American film maker].

Really? I think you don;t need to look too deep into the killers history and mental state to see why those killings happened.

The subject of slavery is far more sensitive and is going on today around the world still he could have asked about it's relevance today but just went for the sensationalist question and it back-fired.He should have known QT will have been asked that question before and that it's really nothing new or special.

Becky Sharpe 11-01-2013 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfster (Post 63505934)
Really? I think you don;t need to look too deep into the killers history and mental state to see why those killings happened.

Lazy interview question, lazy non sequiter post!

Charmed I'm sure. Even lazy old me has picked up on the fact that gun control is currently America's No.1 topic. One that even Quentin 'Chicks Who Love Guns ' Tarantino understandably would not wish to get drawn into at this time. [Edit: Btw the above first paragraph was the only part of your post that was up at time of replying].

ChristopherJ 11-01-2013 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfster (Post 63505934)
Really? I think you don;t need to look too deep into the killers history and mental state to see why those killings happened.

The subject of slavery is far more sensitive and is going on today around the world still he could have asked about it's relevance today but just went for the sensationalist question and it back-fired.He should have known QT will have been asked that question before and that it's really nothing new or special.

Have you watched the interview? No-one mentions Sandy Hook. It is only alluded to after QT has reacted.

I thought QT was basically tired and emotional, and a bit on edge.

Hound of Love 11-01-2013 18:46

Imagine what could happen if Kay Burley had interviewed him.

Tal'shiar 11-01-2013 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky Sharpe (Post 63506046)
Charmed I'm sure. Even lazy old me has picked up on the fact that gun control is currently America's No.1 topic. One that even Quentin 'Chicks Who Love Guns ' Tarantino understandably would not wish to get drawn into at this time. [Edit: Btw the above first paragraph was the only part of your post that was up at time of replying].

Yeah but QT has had this same statement put to him over and over again. Sandy hook is nothing new, USA has had a lot of shootings in schools and each time they drag out the same old scapegoats. Kill Bill interview he had the whole "V Tech" shooting questions asked, and I am sure he has been linked to lots of shootings.

Sandy Hook caused teh Mass Effect (a computer game) facebook page SPAMMED with hate mail about the game causing the shootings. Its a space shooting game with aliens and spaceships and weird looking things.

Same with in the 80s and heavy metal was on trail for many stupid reasons.

Although I do agree America and its gun issue is MUCH deeper than the movies it makes and enjoys. Its sexual the love they have for guns over there. its VERY strange for a non-American to witness (I honestly felt quite unnerved when I was shown a high powered assault rifle in someones living room)

alfster 11-01-2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherJ (Post 63506340)
Have you watched the interview? No-one mentions Sandy Hook.

Um...I never said it did, Becky Sharpe did and in my original post to her post I wrote 'non sequiter'.

QT was probably a bit tired but he was giving the interview his full concentration and when you get a dumb question then you'll sometimes go back at it.

I'm not exactly how you could come to the conclusion that I mentioned Sandy Hook in any of my posts.:confused:

Tal'shiar's reply is perfect.

Tassium 11-01-2013 18:55

Watching the interview I never felt that Krishnan was sincere, he was just out to drum up viewers for CH4 News.

There's a time and a place and it's not in the middle of those dreary film PR things when the interviewee has probably done twenty interviews that day alone.


CH4 News obviously saw it as a PR opportunity... for CH4 News.

lexi22 11-01-2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky Sharpe (Post 63505809)
Tarantino's cinematic 'Marmite', you either love him or *puts tin hat on*....... Imho QT seems overrated, a movie-nerd who takes clips from his favourite obscure films , remakes them with American actors - then claims the credit. So he's kind of lucky to be of interest to C4 news, as opposed to an interviewer from a late night film buff show. Saying that, KGM was being cheeky in trying to raise the sensitive topic of the Sandy Hook killings, especially to an American film maker. On the other hand, given all the practice QT says he has had dealing with similar questions ... no problem, I would have thought ;)

Call me picky but when a director is being interviewed anout a film he's currently promoting, what I want to hear is the director talking about the movie, and the interviewer giving him the opportunty to do just that, not self-indulgently point-score so lazily and tediously as KGM did. QT and the cast (Jamie Foxx and Sam L Jackson in particular) have done some excellent interviews and discussions re DJango and its subject matter, and if KGM is incapable of providing that platform, then he should leave it to those who can and who actually have an interest in the movie.

ChristopherJ 11-01-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfster (Post 63506557)
Um...I never said it did, Becky Sharpe did and in my original post to her post I wrote 'non sequiter'.

QT was probably a bit tired but he was giving the interview his full concentration and when you get a dumb question then you'll sometimes go back at it.

I'm not exactly how you could come to the conclusion that I mentioned Sandy Hook in any of my posts.:confused:

Tal'shiar's reply is perfect.

No you didn't. My apologies.

I'm not exactly sure how I came to that conclusion either, save it's Friday and the Chardonnay is a-flowing. :o

Maybe I'm tired and emotional and a bit on edge.

Becky Sharpe 11-01-2013 20:47

Here be the interview clip in question. From about four mins onwards, KGM makes several attempts to peck away at Tarantino, trying to draw him out re: the perceived link between movie violence and real life violence. Even saying at one point [6.00 mins-ish] that 'today' the [US] 'Vice President is talking to people in the movie industry' about the alleged link between the two. OK, KGM didn't utter the precise words Sandy Hook, but he sure as hell wasn't alluding to the US Fiscal Cliff crisis. QT appeared to be fully aware of where KGM was 'going', so 'shut him down'. QED. x ;) *goes off to find phone box for this week's meeting of the Quentin Tarantino non-appreciation society*

M@nterik 11-01-2013 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Sid (Post 63503020)

Tarantino really behaves like an ass in this interview. He also states he is there to plug his movie.

Much respect to Krishnan for giving him some tough questions.

M@nterik 11-01-2013 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassium (Post 63506599)
Watching the interview I never felt that Krishnan was sincere, he was just out to drum up viewers for CH4 News.

There's a time and a place and it's not in the middle of those dreary film PR things when the interviewee has probably done twenty interviews that day alone.


CH4 News obviously saw it as a PR opportunity... for CH4 News.

Krishnan is a terrific journalist, as are most of the C4 news brigade. His questions were interesting and relevant and far better than the fawning nonsense you would get from some other journalists. I remember Suzanne from breakfast TV interviewing the SATC cast. She may as well have cleaned their shoes with her tongue.

Becky Sharpe 11-01-2013 20:59

We're gonna need a bigger phone box :D

AndreaJx 11-01-2013 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by M@nterik (Post 63510237)
Krishnan is a terrific journalist, as are most of the C4 news brigade. His questions were interesting and relevant and far better than the fawning nonsense you would get from some other journalists. I remember Suzanne from breakfast TV interviewing the SATC cast. She may as well have cleaned their shoes with her tongue.

This.

j4Rose 11-01-2013 21:22

He's a bit unhinged at the best of times.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:13.