Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   PC & Mac Hardware and Software (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Internet on load (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1788856)

cat666 22-01-2013 11:19

Internet on load
 
I recently re-installed my PC and it all works fine but I am running into a little problem. Internet works fine, but it takes an absolute age to connect, whereas in the past, as soon as Windows was up, so was the Internet.

Is there anyway to make the PC register the Internet connection as the first thing it does? Some of the startup items are failing as there is no Internet for the update check?

Ta

flagpole 22-01-2013 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat666 (Post 63764324)
I recently re-installed my PC and it all works fine but I am running into a little problem. Internet works fine, but it takes an absolute age to connect, whereas in the past, as soon as Windows was up, so was the Internet.

Is there anyway to make the PC register the Internet connection as the first thing it does? Some of the startup items are failing as there is no Internet for the update check?

Ta

how is your computer connected to the internet?

John259 22-01-2013 11:26

Do you know whether the problem is the connection between your computer and your router, or between your router and your ISP?

cat666 22-01-2013 14:54

It's a Virgin Superhub, connected via ethernet.

There is no actual problem, Internet works fine, it just takes an age for Windows to realise there is an Internet connection there.

emptybox 22-01-2013 14:57

It could be a driver issue.
Even an ethernet port needs the correct driver to work, and it may be your network adaptor is using a generic driver, after re-installation of Windows, rather than a more efficient specific driver.

Go into Device Manager and see if it's using the most up to date driver.

John259 22-01-2013 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat666 (Post 63768952)
It's a Virgin Superhub, connected via ethernet.

There is no actual problem, Internet works fine, it just takes an age for Windows to realise there is an Internet connection there.

Is there an led on the router to indicate when it has fully established the connection to the ISP?

Can you access the router's admin functions immediately or is that subject to the delay?

In other words, can we get some evidence to tell us which of the two connections is being slow to establish itself?

flagpole 22-01-2013 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by emptybox (Post 63769009)
It could be a driver issue.
Even an ethernet port needs the correct driver to work, and it may be your network adaptor is using a generic driver, after re-installation of Windows, rather than a more efficient specific driver.

Go into Device Manager and see if it's using the most up to date driver.

this would be my first thought too. very consistent with the fact that the OP has just reinstalled windows.

I would say it would be worth a visit to the PC/motherboard manufacturer website.

cat666 23-01-2013 09:40

I'll check the drivers tonight. The internet is always on. Wifi works, as does my secondardy wired machine.

cat666 24-01-2013 09:54

Still not 100% sorted but it appears that even though I saw Windows Update doing SP1 it didn't do it, and therefore not SP2 either. I did SP1 last night manually and will do SP2 tonight. So fingers crossed it will sort it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03.