Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Movies (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Studio Ghibli (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1791841)

Jenbonjovi 27-01-2013 11:57

Studio Ghibli

Sorry if this thread has been done before but I can't find anything! :rolleyes:

I've seen a few mentions of Studio Ghibli in other threads and I'm just discovering them myself so I was just wondering what everyones favourite films are? Also do you prefer them with subtitles or dubbed?

blitzben85 27-01-2013 12:03

Im a big fan of Ghibli, my favorite movies are:

Pom Poko - the message behind this movie is brill
Porco Rosso
Howels Moving Castle
Ponyo (On a cliff by the sea)
Kiki's Delivery Service

Hayao Miyazaki is great and i plan on visiting the Ghibli museum in Tokyo, one day...I'm glad Ghibli is working alongside Pixar and was so happy to see Totoro in Toy Story 3.

Jenbonjovi 27-01-2013 12:10

I saw Spirited Away at the cinema years ago, bought it on dvd then didn't watch it again till last year when I thought 'how did you not realise how amazing this is?' :confused:
Bought Howls Moving Castle and watched Arrietty that I'd taped from Film4 over Xmas. Think I'll buy another couple this month.

Mark A 27-01-2013 12:37

Simply the best animation studio in the world. Though I only watch them in Japanese, never the dubs. Though to be fair they do take a lot of time with their dubs and are probably the best at it there is, but I just can't stand them not being in their original language.

Regards

Mark

blitzben85 27-01-2013 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark A (Post 63893247)
Simply the best animation studio in the world. Though I only watch them in Japanese, never the dubs. Though to be fair they do take a lot of time with their dubs and are probably the best at it there is, but I just can't stand them not being in their original language.

Regards

Mark

Liam Neeson did great in Ponyo imo.

Cracker_Cake 27-01-2013 14:13

Laputa (Castle in the Sky) and Princess Mononoke are my favourite two Ghlibi movies.

Tfan26 27-01-2013 14:37

Better than Disney.

Platinum_Rose 27-01-2013 14:39

I like Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, wasn't too fond of Tales from Earthsea or Whisper Of the Heart. Still need to watch more of them, will buy some on DVD

Blah123 27-01-2013 17:43

I adore My Neighbour Totoro

Dombo 27-01-2013 20:32

Love Ponyo...

Takae 27-01-2013 20:43

Animated films including those by Ghibli usually leave me cold, but I do recognise a good film when I see one.

Top 5 Ghibli films:

1. My Neighbours the Yamadas
2. Spirited Away
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Princess Mononoke

Runner-ups: Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo.

Edit: I don't always need it, but I prefer subtitles over dub.

Jenbonjovi 27-01-2013 21:35

[quote=Takae;63904729]Animated films including those by Ghibli usually leave me cold, but I do recognise a good film when I see one.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of animated films either which is why I was so surprised I've enjoyed the few Ghibli films I've seen.

TranceClubber 27-01-2013 21:42

They know how to make great Animated movies , Spirited Away is my favourite though ;)

Fio Montoya 27-01-2013 22:39

Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo and Arietty are all amazing, loved them. I'm happy with the dub, I think they do a great job with it.

LollyPants 28-01-2013 19:43

Howl's Moving Castle is my absolute favourite, followed by Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, then Tales From Earthsea. They're all so wonderful though! I've mostly only seen the in dubs on DVD (apart from Earthsea which we saw in an indie cinema) and I adore Billy Crystal in Howl's!

My husband got my a Totoro onesie for Christmas, it's amazing! :D

Edited to add that having Tina Fey in Ponyo was also amazing, I'm a massive Fey fangirl!

Jenbonjovi 28-01-2013 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LollyPants (Post 63923212)
Howl's Moving Castle is my absolute favourite, followed by Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, then Tales From Earthsea. They're all so wonderful though! I've mostly only seen the in dubs on DVD (apart from Earthsea which we saw in an indie cinema) and I adore Billy Crystal in Howl's!

My husband got my a Totoro onesie for Christmas, it's amazing! :D

Edited to add that having Tina Fey in Ponyo was also amazing, I'm a massive Fey fangirl!

Who does Billy Crystal do? Howl? My dvd player has no remote control so I can't see any extras and I keep missing the end credits cos I fall asleep! :rolleyes:

Rincewind78 28-01-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenbonjovi (Post 63927496)
Who does Billy Crystal do? Howl? My dvd player has no remote control so I can't see any extras and I keep missing the end credits cos I fall asleep! :rolleyes:

he was the voice of the little fire :)

all Ghibli movies I love very much and each have their own qualities. only Earthsea I wasnt so keen on,

Spirited Away will always have a special place in my heart!!! one of those special all time movies to me

My Neighbour Totoro is awesome in a similar way also :)

Jenbonjovi 28-01-2013 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind78 (Post 63927689)
he was the voice of the little fire :)

all Ghibli movies I love very much and each have their own qualities. only Earthsea I wasnt so keen on,

Spirited Away will always have a special place in my heart!!! one of those special all time movies to me

My Neighbour Totoro is awesome in a similar way also :)

Ah, so he is!
I'm going to order My Neighbour Totoro from Amazon I think. :D

Blah123 28-01-2013 22:55

Watched Ponyo for the first time last night. Amazing.

Gazinuk 28-01-2013 23:14

Laputa - Castle in the sky, the original English dub, not the disney one, as thats how i saw it originally and its the best,
Porco Rosso as its ace!,
neighbour tortoro for gettin me through sick days at school lol it was always on

JaiJai 30-01-2013 11:31

So many wonderful movies but my pick for best Ghibli movie is Whisper of the Heart - beautiful and very underated and less well known sadly than the other Ghibli movies.

Ginger Nut 30-01-2013 22:06

I've only seen Spirited Away and parts of Howls Moving Castle. The animation is just first class but personally I find the stories terribly dull and I lose interest. I can only be wowed by the visuals for so long.

hsellors 31-01-2013 14:02

My Ghibli PS3 game got dispatched today :D so excited to play it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaiJai (Post 63954615)
So many wonderful movies but my pick for best Ghibli movie is Whisper of the Heart - beautiful and very underated and less well known sadly than the other Ghibli movies.

That is a really beuatiful film : )

I love Ghibli films, I'm fascinated at the art work and love the magical yet crazy innocence of them all.

My favourites:
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
The Cat Returns
Kiki's Delivery Service
Arietty

I watched Ocean Waves recently but I didn't really think it was that good. When it ended I just thought "was that it?"

Blah123 01-02-2013 10:17

Watched Pom Poko last night for the first time - I had never heard of it before this thread but oh my what a lovely little film!

balthasar 01-02-2013 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark A (Post 63893247)

Regards

Mark

The dub versions are best avoided, they seem to take you out of the characters .
Laputa is my favourite.