Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Fashion and Beauty (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   super shiny hair (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799792)

chocoholic100 18-02-2013 22:48

super shiny hair
 
What products would you recommend to make hair shiny. Ive been using argan oil products that has improved the condition of my hair but I want my hair to look shiny and really healthy. I have a bob and currently have dark brown hair. Ive seen good reviews for lee stafford shine spray. any recommendations?

Lushness 19-02-2013 09:19

I love shine and I ensure that my hair is gleaming every single day!

I've used many products but the ones that I use quite regularly are:-

Frederick Fekkai Glossing Creme
Aveda Spray on Shine
Redken Glass Smoothing Serum
Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade

With all of these you must use them with a light hand. Sprays should be sprayed into the hand rather than directly onto the hair Ė that way you have a little bit more control. These are quite expensive though, a cheap but very effective alternative is coconut oil.

In my experience if you are consistent with taking care of your hair, conditioning treatments, exercise, vitamins, good water intake you will find that your new hair growth will be of a better quality, my hair is shiny without me doing too much to it.

If you are straightening, put a little bit of your serum or oil in to the ends before blow drying or straightening; the heat will seal the serum in equalling enhanced shine. Then if you feel you need it add a little a bit more to the finished style.

In the summer I tend to do a clear rinse. Itís like hair dye but without the colour so just clear. I use Frederick Fekkaiís Salon Glaze, itís good but there are cheaper alternatives.

dragonrapide 20-02-2013 16:45

My tip is to wash your hair with Fairy Liquid about every six washes. The rest of the time use any shampoo you like, doesn't really matter if its cheap. At the moment I am using Herbal Essence Dazzling Shine shampoo and also their conditioner from the same range.

The important thing is to wash out the build up of product on your hair, which is where the Fairy comes into its own. Don't worry if people say you should not use it. Try it once and see the difference. I have been using it for 40 years and nothing has happened to my hair, except it is lovely and shiny.

Phyllis Stein 20-02-2013 19:45

Can anyone recommend a non silicone shiner?

chocoholic100 20-02-2013 20:12

Thanks lushness for the recommendations

Lushness 20-02-2013 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllis Stein (Post 64370078)
Can anyone recommend a non silicone shiner?

What about Naked Frizz Fighter http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/frizz...moothing-serum

Admittedly I've never used it but the reviews sound good, cheap too.

When I was on a total silicone free routine I used castor oil as a shine product. It is very thick and heavy though so you only need the tiniest amount. Awesome shine though, makes my buns and up dos look really nice, and again cheap.

Phyllis Stein 20-02-2013 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lushness (Post 64374720)
What about Naked Frizz Fighter http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/frizz...moothing-serum

Admittedly I've never used it but the reviews sound good, cheap too.

When I was on a total silicone free routine I used castor oil as a shine product. It is very thick and heavy though so you only need the tiniest amount. Awesome shine though, makes my buns and up dos look really nice, and again cheap.

Ooh, thanks for that Lushness :)

Lushness 21-02-2013 00:19

Sorry PS there is an "Extra Shiny" one too http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/extra...inishing-serum which may be more suitable than the other one.

Phyllis Stein 21-02-2013 19:30

That's sounds just the job, cheers!

I've just done a home keratin smoothing treatment and I've got lovely smooth swishy hair for the first time ever, tis a bloomin' miracle :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brazilian-St...1474943&sr=8-1

GiraffeGirl 21-02-2013 19:58

I use either the Naked Frizz Fighter or the Naked Divine Curls (I forget which, I've used both in the past) - I love Naked products.

My hair is always shinier (it's never fully shiny, it's a curly mess half the time!) when I brave a cold water rinse at the end of my shower. Admittedly I haven't done it properly for a while because this winter has been cold enough!

chocoholic100 22-02-2013 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllis Stein (Post 64391069)
That's sounds just the job, cheers!

I've just done a home keratin smoothing treatment and I've got lovely smooth swishy hair for the first time ever, tis a bloomin' miracle :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brazilian-St...1474943&sr=8-1

Ooh I like the look of this, was it easy ? what shampoo and conditioner did you buy to use afterwards

oh and what straighteners did you use, I've read that they have to heat upto 230c I'm not sure if mine do.

Phyllis Stein 22-02-2013 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocoholic100 (Post 64411516)
Ooh I like the look of this, was it easy ? what shampoo and conditioner did you buy to use afterwards

oh and what straighteners did you use, I've read that they have to heat upto 230c I'm not sure if mine do.

It took about 2.5 hours from start to finish but it's pretty easy if you're used to straightening your hair.

These Babyliss straighteners are fab and get really finger burny hot, I find them better than GHDs, cheaper too!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used Pureology shampoo and conditioner but you can use any that is salt free.

chocoholic100 23-02-2013 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllis Stein (Post 64416481)
It took about 2.5 hours from start to finish but it's pretty easy if you're used to straightening your hair.

These Babyliss straighteners are fab and get really finger burny hot, I find them better than GHDs, cheaper too!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used Pureology shampoo and conditioner but you can use any that is salt free.

does your hair look straighter? how did you cope not washing for 3 days, I have to wash my hair everyday so I am worried about not being able to wash for 3 days, has it made it easier to style now?
sorry for all the Qs :o Im wondering if I will be able to make a good job of it.

morecowbell 23-02-2013 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocoholic100 (Post 64417169)
does your hair look straighter? how did you cope not washing for 3 days, I have to wash my hair everyday so I am worried about not being able to wash for 3 days, has it made it easier to style now?
sorry for all the Qs :o Im wondering if I will be able to make a good job of it.

I'm very interested too Chocoholic! I'm glad you are asking all the important questions. I've always mulled over the keratin straightening and I must say, I'm getting nearer to thinking, blow it, I'll try it.

Phyllis Stein 23-02-2013 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocoholic100 (Post 64417169)
does your hair look straighter? how did you cope not washing for 3 days, I have to wash my hair everyday so I am worried about not being able to wash for 3 days, has it made it easier to style now?
sorry for all the Qs :o Im wondering if I will be able to make a good job of it.

Lol, know what you mean but if I can do it anyone can :D

Yes my hair is straighter, before it was loose S shaped curls with tons of frizz and fluff, the type of hair that looked ok after a lot of straightening but would still pouff up as soon as I went outside.

After I'd first done the treatment my hair was Jennifer Aniston poker straight, really flat and didn't suit me at all. I left it in for 4 days, (I day extra) to let the keratin absorb then washed it out on Thursday. Didn't use any styling products, literally just tipped my head upside down and blasted it with hairdryer, after 5 mins it it was done - sleek but with body and not a frizzle in sight! :eek:

Phyllis Stein 23-02-2013 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by morecowbell (Post 64418029)
I'm very interested too Chocoholic! I'm glad you are asking all the important questions. I've always mulled over the keratin straightening and I must say, I'm getting nearer to thinking, blow it, I'll try it.

You should definitely give it a go, it's life changing if you've got frizzy hair. Works out cheap too, my hair is medium length and thick and I only used half the pot.

morecowbell 23-02-2013 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllis Stein (Post 64421996)
You should definitely give it a go, it's life changing if you've got frizzy hair. Works out cheap too, my hair is medium length and thick and I only used half the pot.

Wow! This sounds too good to be true! What's it like on the scalp? Is it irritating? Also, what does it do to split ends?

Phyllis Stein 23-02-2013 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by morecowbell (Post 64423529)
Wow! This sounds too good to be true! What's it like on the scalp? Is it irritating? Also, what does it do to split ends?

You don't put it on your scalp, you have a little brush to apply the goo on to small sections of hair as close to the scalp as possible. It does sting your eyes a bit though so make sure you have a window open.

Not sure about split ends, had 'em chopped a few weeks ago.

chocoholic100 23-02-2013 20:26

I think Im going to give it a whirl I have a short bob so I should get at least 2 applications from the bottle.
I've checked my straighteners and they heat to 235! so they should be good to go.
I hope I can get it on the back of my hair, I do a good job when home dying so hopefully I will manage.
I've been looking at the chocochoco kit as well, this seems to be quite good and similar price.
Thanks Phylis for the info :D
morecowbell, have you made a decision?

morecowbell 24-02-2013 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocoholic100 (Post 64429271)
I think Im going to give it a whirl I have a short bob so I should get at least 2 applications from the bottle.
I've checked my straighteners and they heat to 235! so they should be good to go.
I hope I can get it on the back of my hair, I do a good job when home dying so hopefully I will manage.
I've been looking at the chocochoco kit as well, this seems to be quite good and similar price.
Thanks Phylis for the info :D
morecowbell, have you made a decision?

I have! I think I'm going to go for it :D What I may do (if its even possible) is to straighten a test patch of hair at the back before I go hell for leather all over.

chocoholic100 24-02-2013 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by morecowbell (Post 64435777)
I have! I think I'm going to go for it :D What I may do (if its even possible) is to straighten a test patch of hair at the back before I go hell for leather all over.

You could try and do a test patch I suppose might be tricky though.
I bought the kit last night :eek:

I bought the top up kit and saved a couple of quid, I have loads of sectioning clips already, and have a brush already.

Hopefully it will all come by Friday as I have a spare few hours Friday and the non washing days will work out ok, I don't know if you count the Friday as a day not to wash this being the day of application ?

This is the companys website, http://www.keratinkits.com/complete-...p#.USno8x2R6TI

there is a good video of a girl applying the solution I felt more confident after watching it.

morecowbell 24-02-2013 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocoholic100 (Post 64437048)
You could try and do a test patch I suppose might be tricky though.
I bought the kit last night :eek:

I bought the top up kit and saved a couple of quid, I have loads of sectioning clips already, and have a brush already.

Hopefully it will all come by Friday as I have a spare few hours Friday and the non washing days will work out ok, I don't know if you count the Friday as a day not to wash this being the day of application ?

This is the companys website, http://www.keratinkits.com/complete-...p#.USno8x2R6TI

there is a good video of a girl applying the solution I felt more confident after watching it.

Good on ya Choc! Let me know how it goes!! Thanks for the link also, I'll bookmark it xx

Phyllis Stein 24-02-2013 19:22

Good luck, gals :)

chocoholic100 24-02-2013 22:50

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jerrica09 24-02-2013 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonrapide (Post 64366072)
My tip is to wash your hair with Fairy Liquid about every six washes. The rest of the time use any shampoo you like, doesn't really matter if its cheap. At the moment I am using Herbal Essence Dazzling Shine shampoo and also their conditioner from the same range.

The important thing is to wash out the build up of product on your hair, which is where the Fairy comes into its own. Don't worry if people say you should not use it. Try it once and see the difference. I have been using it for 40 years and nothing has happened to my hair, except it is lovely and shiny.

Is this a genuine post or a troll post? I can't tell! I've never heard of it before but I'm rather intrigued!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03.