Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Showbiz (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Celebs whose career is over - How many go back to the real world? (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1800579)

Itsallaboutyou 21-02-2013 11:20

Celebs whose career is over - How many go back to the real world?

Martine McCutcheon was recently declared bankrupt. I was wondering as she will probably sell her story to a magazine, would she return to the real world and get a normal job?

Have any other ex-celebs ever gone back to the real world and got normal jobs?

striing 21-02-2013 13:27

She was declared bankrupt - but her husband wasn't so I don't believe for a minute her lifestyle will be affected.

On your other point, I have just read that Glenn Medeiros is now a school Principal. (You'll have to be of a certain age for that to mean anything. :D )

And The Reunion on ITV2 showed that a singer from the Honeyz has become a midwife. (Having said that I'd never heard of tehe Honeyz so maybe she didn't have much of a career to change.)

RealityRocks 21-02-2013 14:19

I think it's really nice when ex pop or soapstars get a 'proper' job, especially one they've had to train hard for.

Adele Silva got a job in a clothes shop whilst trying to break America and though she did end up going back to Emmerdale for a bit it does show she's not afraid of some 'real' graft.

***KEL*** 21-02-2013 14:20

I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world

chitarivera 21-02-2013 15:25

One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.

quirkyquirk 21-02-2013 16:01

Joan Collins was signing on just before her career was resurrected in Dynasty.That would've been a sight,her in the dole cue looking glamorous.

Flashy Vic 21-02-2013 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitarivera (Post 64385591)
One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.

And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.

Verence 21-02-2013 16:19

There was a very sniffy story in the papers a couple of years back when someone saw actor Jeremy Edwards supposedly working as a builder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...tra-money.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...pay-bills.html

00tommo 21-02-2013 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashy Vic (Post 64386240)
And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.

Good old Jed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l76u8Z5Ic2U

calibra101 21-02-2013 16:23

The guy from the group Bucks Fizz who ended up working in burger van.

Porcupine 21-02-2013 16:25

Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.

Verence 21-02-2013 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcupine (Post 64386695)
Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.

Yep, he worked for Sainsburys for a while and then became a cab-driver

Itsallaboutyou 21-02-2013 16:40

Can not imagine Joan Collins signing on. I heard somewhere she made her own clothes! Imagine Martine living off 71 JSA? That would wake her up.

Fair play to these celebs. Shows fame is a fleeting thing.t

tinkerbell987 21-02-2013 16:46

didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.

misslibertine 21-02-2013 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkerbell987 (Post 64387155)
didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.

She did - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...midwife-342122

80sfan 21-02-2013 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***KEL*** (Post 64384503)
I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world

With comments like that, hopefully no-one will offer her anything for her tales of woe and she'll end up looking for sale bedding bargains in Primark :rolleyes:

unclekevo 21-02-2013 18:06

One of The Honeyz trained as a Midwife, think it was the one who replaced Heavenli and then was replaced by Heavenli?

Rabbit Heart 21-02-2013 18:08

I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.

mary patricia 21-02-2013 18:14

I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.

Itsallaboutyou 21-02-2013 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit Heart (Post 64388877)
I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.

Couldnt agree more. Sadly these stupid shows like Celeb Big Brother tempt people too much to come back.

Its the same with actors and actresses going into Casualty/Waterloo Rd. Why not accept you are over and go into the real world. If its time on benefits so be it.

chitarivera 21-02-2013 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit Heart (Post 64388877)

I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

:confused:

mary patricia 21-02-2013 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitarivera (Post 64389075)
I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

:confused:

Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!

striing 21-02-2013 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verence (Post 64386540)
There was a very sniffy story in the papers a couple of years back when someone saw actor Jeremy Edwards supposedly working as a builder

Yup and even the readers of the Mail said good for him. Journos missed the tone of the room on that one.

Rabbit Heart 21-02-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mary patricia (Post 64389252)
Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!

It does make you wonder why more people can't see the press for the one giant trolling operation it is. Bewildering that they don't.

Blondie X 21-02-2013 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mary patricia (Post 64388972)
I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.

The fair haired (now bald) one has ended up making more money out of being a builder than he ever did out of music.