Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Movies (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   An American Werewolf In London (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1801919)

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 16:18

An American Werewolf In London
 
Just watched this film last night for the first time in about 5 years and forgot how great it is. It really is a fantastic film and for anyone who hasn't seen it I highly recommend you do.

It is probably my favourite film of the last 30 years, almost every scene is a classic, particularly the transformation and the part in the train station. It also has Rik Mayall in it:). Any other Werewolf Of London fans.

bazzaroo 25-02-2013 16:26

Fantastic film that has rightly achieved cult status, outstanding transformation effects, the 'don't go on the moors' pub scene and the wonderful Jenny Agutter, great fun.

spiney2 25-02-2013 16:31

Mr Landis seemed to capture the true spirit of of whacky Brit horror movies like Theatre of Blood, The Night Caller, etc ...

the 2 bumbling inept policemen - kidney dishes scene - are a very nice tough

Orangemaid 25-02-2013 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooooooooooooo (Post 64461248)
Just watched this film last night for the first time in about 5 years and forgot how great it is. It really is a fantastic film and for anyone who hasn't seen it I highly recommend you do.

It is probably my favourite film of the last 30 years, almost every scene is a classic, particularly the transformation and the part in the train station. It also has Rik Mayall in it:). Any other Werewolf Of London fans.

yea me :D I purchased the dvd as couple months back

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangemaid (Post 64461596)
yea me :D I purchased the dvd as couple months back

Glad to see that, it's a great film.

thomasDrooney 25-02-2013 17:02

Don't go out tonight, 'cause it's bound to take your life, there's a bad moon on the rise.

John Landis' greatest and the definitive comedy-horror film.

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasDrooney (Post 64461966)
Don't go out tonight, 'cause it's bound to take your life, there's a bad moon on the rise.

John Landis' greatest and the definitive comedy-horror film.

Absoloutely brilliant film, yes probably the best comedy-horror, although Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein would have to be a close second for me.

Ted Cunterblast 25-02-2013 18:25

One of the very few films to get the blend of comedy and horror right.

Also notable for one of the best on-screen transformations ever...and done in broad daylight, which was unusual for the time...they were usually shot in dark, smoky backlit rooms (see the transformation from The Howling from the same year...clearly a lifeless puppet with rubber bladders being pumped full of air)

I actually worked in the cinema that was featured in the end (Eros Picadilly), though the actual cinema was only seen in a long shot, the foyer and inside of the cinema was recreated on a set.

lil lexie 25-02-2013 18:35

big fan of this film.

Still scares the shit out me and manages to make me laugh, especially the porno film.

special mention to Naughty Nina - who was Naughty Nina anyway? :confused::p

degsyhufc 25-02-2013 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiney2 (Post 64461432)
Mr Landis seemed to capture the true spirit of of whacky Brit horror movies like Theatre of Blood, The Night Caller, etc ...

the 2 bumbling inept policemen - kidney dishes scene - are a very nice tough

I watched it for the first time last year. I agree that Landis got it right in the fact that it was set in Britain and so needed that British humour to go along with it and he got it.
Classic scenes also that have been mentioned.

timebug 25-02-2013 18:50

Sublime,superb,brilliant.
Think I'll go and watch it again now!

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by timebug (Post 64463962)
Sublime,superb,brilliant.
Think I'll go and watch it again now!

Don't blame you.

Lily_M 25-02-2013 19:17

Another fan here, though I haven't seen it for years. Actually, it's about time I watched it again!

Am I right in remembering that BAFTA created a new category that year especially for Rick Baker? Deservedly so - the make-up/transformation effect was brilliant.

couchpotato2011 25-02-2013 19:29

Always loved it. The scene where he changed into the wolf is absolutely incredible. Just a brilliant film.

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily_M (Post 64464761)
Another fan here, though I haven't seen it for years. Actually, it's about time I watched it again!

Am I right in remembering that BAFTA created a new category that year especially for Rick Baker? Deservedly so - the make-up/transformation effect was brilliant.

Yes I believe they did create it for this film. He definately deserved to win.

Zeus 25-02-2013 20:40

Exceptionally atmospheric film. One of the best movies from the horror genre. In fact, one of the best movies, period.

zooooooooooooo 25-02-2013 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus (Post 64467355)
Exceptionally atmospheric film. One of the best movies from the horror genre. In fact, one of the best movies, period.

I agree, love it.

treefr0g 25-02-2013 21:39

I went to the premier of this. I seem to remember it being the night of the full moon.

Premieres were a bit different in those days. I remember when we left the cinema I saw Jenny Agutter walking across Leicester Square with her mum.

Chasing Shadows 26-02-2013 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil lexie (Post 64463658)
special mention to Naughty Nina - who was Naughty Nina anyway? :confused::p

Naughty Nina Carter - Page 3 girl and former wife of Rick Wakeman, keyboard player out of Yes and grumpy old man who used to work in Dictionary Corner on Countdown.

yaristaman 26-02-2013 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily_M (Post 64464761)
Another fan here, though I haven't seen it for years. Actually, it's about time I watched it again!

Am I right in remembering that BAFTA created a new category that year especially for Rick Baker? Deservedly so - the make-up/transformation effect was brilliant.

Don't know about BAFTA but the Oscars created the best make-up award that year because of this film

Lily_M 26-02-2013 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaristaman (Post 64477056)
Don't know about BAFTA but the Oscars created the best make-up award that year because of this film

Ah thanks, I couldn't remember whether it was BAFTA or the Oscars, I knew it was one or the other!

Sharona68 26-02-2013 14:56

One of my all time favourites too...down my local (much like The Slaughtered Lamb)... if the locals are playing darts, one will often say "you made me miss" as someone strange walks in the pub :D

zooooooooooooo 26-02-2013 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharona68 (Post 64478150)
One of my all time favourites too...down my local (much like The Slaughtered Lamb)... if the locals are playing darts, one will often say "you made me miss" as someone strange walks in the pub :D

:D:D Yeah me and my brother used to say that when we played.

Paul Wilson 26-02-2013 16:33

Yes love?
A naked American man stole my balloons!
What???

zooooooooooooo 26-02-2013 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wilson (Post 64479695)
Yes love?
A naked American man stole my balloons!
What???

"Say knock knock"
"knock knock"
"Who's there"
"Who".


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:39.