Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Showbiz (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Karren Brady fibbing about qualifications to get her first job (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1820297)

Leicester_Hunk 23-04-2013 16:15

Karren Brady fibbing about qualifications to get her first job
 
Just spotted this:

Brady's first job was working at Saatchi & Saatchi the advertising agency as a graduate trainee, even though she did not have a degree. In a Sunday Times Business Section profile she admitted that she had lied in her job application by stating that she did have a degree. Although she had started a degree course after A levels, she left without completing the degree.

So THAT'S how you get on. Shall we all try it?

Saltydog1955 23-04-2013 16:20

Horrendous!
Burn her I say!

Seriously, there's far worse things to get het up about than that.

Grace In Love 23-04-2013 16:22

Because Karren Brady is the first person to ever lie on their CV.........

Leicester_Hunk 23-04-2013 16:22

S&S were a bit thick for not checking :D

John_Traynor 23-04-2013 16:23

If you drop out of your degree, you end up working for pornographers.

Julie_Evans 23-04-2013 16:33

Karren Brady has more than proved herself to be a very successful businesswoman. It took a lot of guts for her take on the job at Birmingham City FC, particularly at such a young age.

Cassy990 23-04-2013 16:42

Karren Brady has proven herself a million times over as being an incredible business woman. A piece of paper means nothing. I'm in the position of coming out of a masters degree right now and employers aren't even looking for the piece of paper that qualifies me to do the job, its all practical experience which having been in uni for 4 years no-one has. I wish I'd taken her route at 18.

Blondie X 23-04-2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassy990 (Post 65529248)
Karren Brady has proven herself a million times over as being an incredible business woman. A piece of paper means nothing. I'm in the position of coming out of a masters degree right now and employers aren't even looking for the piece of paper that qualifies me to do the job, its all practical experience which having been in uni for 4 years no-one has. I wish I'd taken her route at 18.

This.

She blagged her way in and has proved herself a 1000 times over. Everyone of her generation used to blag their way into a job, that was how it was then. Obviously, you can't get away with it now as you have to provide evidence but she isn't the first and won't be the last. It's what you do when you're in the role that counts

I feel more sorry for kids these days who have to get a degree and end up 30k on debt just to get a role you used to walk into straight from school in my day.

Big Boy Barry 23-04-2013 18:17

Kirk cheated on the Kobayashi Maru. Original thinking should be rewarded. I admire her ingenuity.

Alrightmate 23-04-2013 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leicester_Hunk (Post 65528806)
Just spotted this:

Brady's first job was working at Saatchi & Saatchi the advertising agency as a graduate trainee, even though she did not have a degree. In a Sunday Times Business Section profile she admitted that she had lied in her job application by stating that she did have a degree. Although she had started a degree course after A levels, she left without completing the degree.

So THAT'S how you get on. Shall we all try it?

We probably already do.:D

Seriously though I like the idea that this demonstrates that a qualification on a piece of paper is not the be all and end all. And that paper qualifications don't necessarily equal ability and skill at performing certain roles.
All too often it's taken for granted by default that a paper qualification is a direct indicator of ability to perform a role, and talented people will be rejected from applying for some role yet they may have an abundance of talent in that position.

She could have been rejected and they'd taken on a graduate instead, but the end results could have been far lacking compared to what Karren Brady achieved.

Leicester_Hunk 23-04-2013 20:18

Probably all this adds weight to the argument for apprenticeships and vocational degrees etc

Inspiration 23-04-2013 20:23

For some weird reason I found myself thinking of Spud admitting he lied on his application to get the foot in the door.. even tho it was a department of employment referred interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBAXWz-8arw

My pleasure, in other peoples leisure.

Leicester_Hunk 23-04-2013 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie_Evans (Post 65529129)
Karren Brady has more than proved herself to be a very successful businesswoman. It took a lot of guts for her take on the job at Birmingham City FC, particularly at such a young age.

And with all those sexist sods there!

DiamondDoll 23-04-2013 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leicester_Hunk (Post 65528806)
Just spotted this:

Brady's first job was working at Saatchi & Saatchi the advertising agency as a graduate trainee, even though she did not have a degree. In a Sunday Times Business Section profile she admitted that she had lied in her job application by stating that she did have a degree. Although she had started a degree course after A levels, she left without completing the degree.

So THAT'S how you get on. Shall we all try it?

Best you shoot her now.:(

Btw..........her ability got her to where she is now.;)

DiamondDoll 23-04-2013 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie X (Post 65530495)
This.

She blagged her way in and has proved herself a 1000 times over. Everyone of her generation used to blag their way into a job, that was how it was then. Obviously, you can't get away with it now as you have to provide evidence but she isn't the first and won't be the last. It's what you do when you're in the role that counts

I feel more sorry for kids these days who have to get a degree and end up 30k on debt just to get a role you used to walk into straight from school in my day.

So very true.:(

I was educated in the days of student grants and by the age of twenty had a degree and a full time permanent job.
That is an impossibility now.:(

phil solo 24-04-2013 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Traynor (Post 65528949)
If you drop out of your degree, you end up working for pornographers.

Well that's one opinion of advertising :p

gilliedew 24-04-2013 09:07

No wonder she gets on with Alan Sugar who chose someone to be the Apprentice who dropped out of a course and lied about it on his CV.

Having seen her on Piers Morgan, could anyone be as smug as her about her career, which she left out being interviewed by the police. She also worked for porno kings in her early career and while she doesn't deny this, they were the ones who gave her the football management positions in the first place. She was very fortunate to have it given to her on a plate. She didn't come from nothing, her family had connections which helped her get started.

Sloopy 24-04-2013 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilliedew (Post 65539800)
No wonder she gets on with Alan Sugar who chose someone to be the Apprentice who dropped out of a course and lied about it on his CV.

The Apprentice is something of a joke these days anyway. There doesn't seem to be an actual 'job'. It's all a farce. They crawl to Sugar as if he were God. :yawn:

Still, Karren isn't the first to be liberal with the truth on her CV and certainly won't be the last.

haphash 24-04-2013 11:32

Why does everyone go on about Karren getting a helping hand in her career? Just take a look at the acting profession its full of nepotism. She's not the only one in the country who might have used some connections to get ahead, it happens in all walks of life.

The fact remains that whether she lied about her qualifications or used influence to get in she would not have done so well if she wasn't competent. If she had proved to be useless she would have become so successful and would not be where she is today.

wakey 24-04-2013 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace In Love (Post 65528918)
Because Karren Brady is the first person to ever lie on their CV.........

The wording is interesting however, it does't say she lied on her CV but her job application and there is a significant difference.

If you lie on a CV its not illegal just unethical (although if you get the job there are some jobs where certain lies would make it illegal, for example claiming you had a medical degree when you don't when applying for a job as a doctor).

If you lie on an Application form however its a different matter and it is illegal as you are being asked specifically certain questions so answering incorrectly is fraud.

So if Karen Brady lied on a Application form then she should be sent to prison for this

Richard1960 24-04-2013 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloopy (Post 65541244)
The Apprentice is something of a joke these days anyway. There doesn't seem to be an actual 'job'. It's all a farce. They crawl to Sugar as if he were God. :yawn:

Still, Karren isn't the first to be liberal with the truth on her CV and certainly won't be the last.

Whats a CV a string of lies supported by a confident attitude.:D

There is no job on the apprentice and those that did get one did not last long.:D

wakey 24-04-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie X (Post 65530495)
I feel more sorry for kids these days who have to get a degree and end up 30k on debt just to get a role you used to walk into straight from school in my day.

Why should anyone feel sorry for them? It isn't after all real debt as repayment is future income linked. You only repay in years where income exceeds a certain level and the amount repaid increases the more you earn but its always at a level where there is no reason that it should cause hardship to pay it.

If you benefit financially from the subsidised higher education then what exactly is wrong with paying a very small amount of that back. Its not as if we are in the US where the students are expected to pay the fees in advance meaning that unless they get a scholarship or are able to get the money (most likely from parents) they have to rack up real debts that will follow them around for life .

And most people going to uni in the UK won't ever get close to paying it all off before it reaches the point where the balance is written off

gilesb 24-04-2013 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakey (Post 65541572)
The wording is interesting however, it does't say she lied on her CV but her job application and there is a significant difference.

If you lie on a CV its not illegal just unethical (although if you get the job there are some jobs where certain lies would make it illegal, for example claiming you had a medical degree when you don't when applying for a job as a doctor).

If you lie on an Application form however its a different matter and it is illegal as you are being asked specifically certain questions so answering incorrectly is fraud.

So if Karen Brady lied on a Application form then she should be sent to prison for this

Really?!?!

twingle 24-04-2013 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrightmate (Post 65532514)
We probably already do.:D

Seriously though I like the idea that this demonstrates that a qualification on a piece of paper is not the be all and end all. And that paper qualifications don't necessarily equal ability and skill at performing certain roles.
All too often it's taken for granted by default that a paper qualification is a direct indicator of ability to perform a role, and talented people will be rejected from applying for some role yet they may have an abundance of talent in that position.

She could have been rejected and they'd taken on a graduate instead, but the end results could have been far lacking compared to what Karren Brady achieved.

In my first year at Uni, the first introductory talk/chat from a lecturer told us if we wanted to be rich entrenpeneurs then to leave right then! of course he cited Branson and Sugar as evidence but he was probably right .

wakey 24-04-2013 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesb (Post 65542081)
Really?!?!

Yes really. If S&S had caught it they would have reported her to the police and she would have got a jail term so why should she get away with it after admitting it in public just because of who she is


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36.