Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Showbiz (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Morecambe and Wise Writer Eddie Braben Dies (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1828898)

Eddie Badger 21-05-2013 11:04

Morecambe and Wise Writer Eddie Braben Dies
 
RIP. The man behind some of TV's funniest moments http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22607531

stvn758 21-05-2013 11:27

Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.

codeblue 21-05-2013 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 (Post 65996104)
Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.

Absolutely not.

Eddie Badger 21-05-2013 11:44

Everything they did was very carefully rehearsed over and over. They had the skill and timing to make it look like they were ad-libbing.

iaindb 21-05-2013 12:30

Sad news. And one of M&W's BBC producers, John Ammonds, died in February. It really feels like the end of an era.

:(

Evs814 21-05-2013 12:55

This is so sad. What a genius. He refined the on screen relationship and created the personas of M & W so it was required viewing through the 70s and early 80s

soundcheck 21-05-2013 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Badger (Post 65996322)
Everything they did was very carefully rehearsed over and over. They had the skill and timing to make it look like they were ad-libbing.

Saw a programme a year or so after Eric's death, where Eddie Braben was talking about what it was like working with the pair. He talked about the famous piano sketch, featuring Andre (Mr Preview) Previn, and said that Eric in particular spent HOURS just walking backwards and forwards on the set, moving the piano and stool backwards and forwards, tripping on different steps, until he was satisfied that he had made the whole thing as funny as it could be. Braben said that this was fairly common.

dorydaryl 21-05-2013 14:06

Seen him interviewed a few times. Likeable chap. Sad to read this. R.I.P, Eddie.

Blueju 21-05-2013 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorydaryl (Post 65998265)
Seen him interviewed a few times. Likeable chap. Sad to read this. R.I.P, Eddie.

Very much so. The Morecambe and Wise vintage years were a result of Eddie's superb writing and reflected how he "got" the duo completely. From one Scouse to another, Goodnight and God bless Eddie...you brought us sunshine.

mrblank 21-05-2013 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 (Post 65996104)
Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.

oh come off it you didnt really th:mad:ink that

konebyvax 21-05-2013 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundcheck (Post 65998183)
Saw a programme a year or so after Eric's death, where Eddie Braben was talking about what it was like working with the pair. He talked about the famous piano sketch, featuring Andre (Mr Preview) Previn, and said that Eric in particular spent HOURS just walking backwards and forwards on the set, moving the piano and stool backwards and forwards, tripping on different steps, until he was satisfied that he had made the whole thing as funny as it could be. Braben said that this was fairly common.



And i remember seeing an interview with Andrew Preview :D who said at the time he was too busy to rehearse the sketch as much as M&W wanted and that stressed Eric out. The genius of the two of them was to make everything look so ad libbed when in actual fact the show was rehearsed to within an inch of its life.

stvn758 21-05-2013 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblank (Post 65999302)
oh come off it you didnt really th:mad:ink that

Obviously, but when they were just stood there chatting, really didn't look like someone would have written it.

Next you'll be telling me Ant & Dec have writers.

NotaTypo 21-05-2013 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 (Post 65996104)
Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.

And that was down to the genius of Morcambe and Wise and Braben.

I saw The Play What I Wrote a few years ago and I not only was it very funny, but it had a warmth and affection to it that moved me.

RIP Mr Braben. You brought me sunshine.

DavetheScot 22-05-2013 01:41

RIP. Thanks for all the laughs.

Bungitin 22-05-2013 01:48

Without Eric Braben the M&W act would have been just like other duos. M&W changed when they went back to ITV and left EB behind.

Salbates 22-05-2013 11:01

R.I.P Eric :(

Nesta Robbins 22-05-2013 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblank (Post 65999302)
oh come off it you didnt really th:mad:ink that

but the fact people think that, is a compliment to the man himself, such a good writer that their pairing seemed completely natural and the dialogue flowing and effortless!

pothuthic 23-05-2013 01:08

RIP Braben :(


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:45.