Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Showbiz (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Gay England Soccer Player to Come Out Publically This Sunday (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1946833)

FusionFury 06-03-2014 23:47

Gay England Soccer Player to Come Out Publically This Sunday
 
According to Twitter.

Apparently it's someone who's been "out" for years but is the worst kept secret for people in the know and in them circles.

Obviously I don't want to say anything illegal but I think it's a positive step to solving the stereotypes in football.

Belligerence 06-03-2014 23:54

The account which started the rumour is full of ITK bollocks.

Sabre92 07-03-2014 01:22

Yep, it's fake. Rumour started by an ITK account with a track record for getting things wrong.

CELT1987 08-03-2014 11:12

Off course it's fake, no current England international is going to come out before a World Cup.

wear thefoxhat 08-03-2014 12:23

It can only be fake, there's no such thing as a gay premiership footballer! cough*Christiano Ronaldo* cough ;-)

21stCenturyBoy 08-03-2014 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by CELT1987 (Post 71657474)
Off course it's fake, no current England international is going to come out before a World Cup.

What a sad sentence.

CELT1987 08-03-2014 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21stCenturyBoy (Post 71658231)
What a sad sentence.

Why? It's the truth. No gay player will want to come out before playing in a World Cup. It a shame they can't, but it won't happen. The media would be in a frenzy if a England player came out.

21stCenturyBoy 08-03-2014 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by CELT1987 (Post 71658315)
Why? It's the truth. No gay player will want to come out before playing in a World Cup. It a shame they can't, but it won't happen. The media would be in a frenzy if a England player came out.

You don't think it's sad a player can't just live their life (as they were genetically prepositioned to do) without it causing a tabloid frenzy?

Football really is 30 years behind the rest of the media world, isn't it?

lovelife7292 08-03-2014 12:47

if it was to be anyone who would it be? I can't think of anyone who comes across as camp or whatever, the only possibilities maybe Joe Hart or Adam Lallana (not even sure the last one even played on Wednesday)

CELT1987 08-03-2014 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21stCenturyBoy (Post 71658371)
You don't think it's sad a player can't just live their life (as they were genetically prepositioned to do) without it causing a tabloid frenzy?

Football really is 30 years behind the rest of the media world, isn't it?

Personally, I couldn't care less about players sexuality. As long as they are good players, couldn't care who they sleep with. I don't see why we have to know every detail though. Players are entitled to their private life. The Media however, want to know everything.

MARTYM8 08-03-2014 12:50

In reality the first Premiership player to come out will probably do so the day after he retires from football.

Its also a remarkable marketing tool to make money after your career is over - look at Gareth Thomas for example. He would just be another retired Welsh rugby player - coming out has led to an extensive reality and media career.

Clearly there must logically be loads of gay premiership players - but they aren't going to come out while they are still playing and certainly not before a world cup. Cos the world isn't really that liberal - and footie fans aren't all that pc and progressive.

But do it at retirement - and they will make loadsamoney!:D

cris182 08-03-2014 13:02

If a top footballer came out they would get the full 'wow that is great, well done you' treatment rightly so. But after all that dies down and the fans are insulting and abusing the player he is left to deal with that as one person, I think that could be the hard bit.

radcliffe95 08-03-2014 13:11

No current premier league player will ever come out, it would destroy their career.

Daewos 08-03-2014 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21stCenturyBoy (Post 71658371)
You don't think it's sad a player can't just live their life (as they were genetically prepositioned to do) without it causing a tabloid frenzy?

Football really is 30 years behind the rest of the media world, isn't it?

Ask Graeme Le Saux - gay slurs almost wrecked his career. Very unpleasant reading. >:(

Nobby Burton 08-03-2014 13:44

Everywhere you go, people are claiming it's Lallana because of his haircut

He got married 3 months ago ffs

Betty Britain 08-03-2014 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by CELT1987 (Post 71657474)
Off course it's fake, no current England international is going to come out before a World Cup.

Can I ask...why not? It's not a criminal offence to be gay

cavalli 08-03-2014 13:54

Is Sol Campbell still playing?

Betty Britain 08-03-2014 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTYM8 (Post 71658515)
In reality the first Premiership player to come out will probably do so the day after he retires from football.

Its also a remarkable marketing tool to make money after your career is over - look at Gareth Thomas for example. He would just be another retired Welsh rugby player - coming out has led to an extensive reality and media career.

Clearly there must logically be loads of gay premiership players - but they aren't going to come out while they are still playing and certainly not before a world cup. Cos the world isn't really that liberal - and footie fans aren't all that pc and progressive.

But do it at retirement - and they will make loadsamoney!:D

Gareth Thomas may of been a retired UNION player...but he went on to play rugby LEAGUE for Crusaders ...

cris182 08-03-2014 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty Britain (Post 71659205)
Can I ask...why not? It's not a criminal offence to be gay

If a player came out, The pressure the press put on them is bad enough before a world cup, The press would be on his door all day every day reporting and hassling every little thing they do.

Betty Britain 08-03-2014 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris182 (Post 71659263)
If a player came out, The pressure the press put on them is bad enough before a world cup, The press would be on his door all day every day reporting and hassling every little thing they do.

Why would they hassle someone over everything they do simply because he is gay?

CELT1987 08-03-2014 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty Britain (Post 71659205)
Can I ask...why not? It's not a criminal offence to be gay

No, but if they came out before the World Cup it could wreck their performances in the Tournament. Not to mention the Media would harass them.

cris182 08-03-2014 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty Britain (Post 71659281)
Why would they hassle someone over everything they do simply because he is gay?

Because it would be the first current premier league footballer to be openly so. And therefore the press would jump on it because it is a new thing to report

Nobby Burton 08-03-2014 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavalli (Post 71659207)
Is Sol Campbell still playing?

He's married with a child

Both of which occured after his career was basically/officially over

If it was bearding, he'd have done it at the peak of his powers and the peak of the rumours

Get Den Watts 08-03-2014 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris182 (Post 71659263)
If a player came out, The pressure the press put on them is bad enough before a world cup, The press would be on his door all day every day reporting and hassling every little thing they do.

It's not just the press though, is it? Gay rights groups would be all over him to act as some kind of spokesperson and symbol.

IntoTheBlue 08-03-2014 15:31

Whoever it is, why don't they just come out now? Waiting for a specific day will just create more drama than if he'd just got it over quickly and quietly with would it not?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45.