Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Metallica at Glastonbury. (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1971281)

Old Man 43 12-06-2014 00:10

Metallica at Glastonbury.

How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.

shackfan 12-06-2014 07:02

What do YOU think?

Glawster2002 12-06-2014 08:40

I think they will go down very well.

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.

Set-wise I would have thought it will be "commercial" Metallica, so most of the Black album plus the more commercial tracks from their other albums, they have already said they are thinking of opening with Oasis' Wonderwall however I doubt they will do their cover of The Anti-Nowhere League's So What? somehow... :D

Soupietwist 12-06-2014 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glawster2002 (Post 73109738)

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.

If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.

Glawster2002 12-06-2014 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soupietwist (Post 73109923)
If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.

100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Battery
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Creeping Death
Sad But True
Ride the Lightning
Whiskey in the Jar
The Unforgiven
Blackened
Fuel

The Four Horsemen
Wherever I May Roam
...And Justice for All

walterwhite 12-06-2014 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man 43 (Post 73107678)
How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.

Isn't this the same with a huge percentage of headliners?

Kiko H Fan 12-06-2014 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glawster2002 (Post 73110056)
100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Battery
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Creeping Death
Sad But True
Ride the Lightning

Whiskey in the Jar
The Unforgiven
Blackened
Fuel

The Four Horsemen
Wherever I May Roam
...And Justice for All

That's 3 total bruisers in a row, mid set. Nice.

I'd like to see those 3 open the Glastonbury set. Just watch those trendy girls on their boyfriends shoulders suddenly start screaming for help!

ags_rule 12-06-2014 16:45

They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).

Tejas 12-06-2014 20:36

I don't get the whole thing about Metallica being a strange booking for Glasto - they're a rock band, its a festival, and they've sold millions of records... they'll do fine! I think they'll go down a storm.

Old Man 43 12-06-2014 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackfan (Post 73109192)
What do YOU think?

I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.

Heston Veston 13-06-2014 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ags_rule (Post 73115683)
They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).

At least Metallica won't be prancing around in a smug fashion going "here's one you know" and holding the microphone out to the audience.

mushymanrob 13-06-2014 12:26

they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.

walterwhite 13-06-2014 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man 43 (Post 73120758)
I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.

Considering Jay-Z went down well a few years ago I don't think there will be an issue with Metallica.

ags_rule 13-06-2014 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushymanrob (Post 73130098)
they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.

Would love to see this picture.

robo2 13-06-2014 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushymanrob (Post 73130098)

some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done

walterwhite 13-06-2014 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ags_rule (Post 73132797)
Would love to see this picture.

Google it then, it's not hard to find.

PhilH36 13-06-2014 20:27

I'd like to see them playing the whole of Puppets.... or Justice.... in sequence.

mushymanrob 13-06-2014 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo2 (Post 73133877)
some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done

theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?

Electra 13-06-2014 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushymanrob (Post 73139664)
theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?

It's not actually Hetfield in the photo. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ival-bill.html

Having said that, I 100% agree with your stance on hunting.

Old Man 43 13-06-2014 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra (Post 73140141)
It's not actually Hetfield in the photo. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ival-bill.html

Having said that, I 100% agree with your stance on hunting.

Well that says it all doesn't it.

lawd004 13-06-2014 22:47

For what it's worth, here's a quote from Hetfield concerning his views on hunting, circa 2009:

"Nowadays it doesnít feel necessary, killing things just to kill them. Iím not against hunting, but it doesnít seem as necessary as going 150 miles an hour in my car now." [laughs]

http://www.guitarworld.com/james-het...n-man?page=0,4

He was big into hunting in the past, but not so much anymore. It's a non-issue, blown out of all proportion...

mushymanrob 14-06-2014 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra (Post 73140141)

fair play....

Johnny_Cash 14-06-2014 09:06

Snobbery and a predetermined outlook will stop them being truly appreciated whilst shite like Kasabian will triumph. How anyone can not enjoy Master of Puppets or the ridiculously good Four Horseman is beyond me.

Soupietwist 14-06-2014 12:17

It's a sad day when it's the Daily Mail that is that puts an end to a nothing mock outrage fake story.

Look a that picture, the guy in it doesn't look remotely like James.. Cc

ags_rule 14-06-2014 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterwhite (Post 73136403)
Google it then, it's not hard to find.

You were saying?

Was hoping the satisfaction myself of being the one to say that said photograph is not actual James Hetfield but kudos to the others in this thread for getting there before me :D

I am opposed to hunting for recreational reasons (I am more open to it as a means of controlling a population of animals when that is deemed necessary). But the thoughts of a single band member - who, as the 2009 quote posted early illustrates, no longer actively hunts - somehow being enough to kick them off the festival bill is ridiculous. It's nothing more than anti-metal snobbery dressed up with a fancy excuse.