Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is jlo always destined to flop? (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1973484)

tim18 17-06-2014 09:50

Is jlo always destined to flop?
 
Jlo had hits early on in her career and on the floor most recently was a resurection. However recently everything she releases flops (dance again, papi, live it up, i luh you papi), including her new radio friendly single first love (which i think is a good pop song).

Now she has released her new album which is getting mixed reviews and i doubt will chart well in any country.


How is she a big star when all her music bombs in the charts.
Thoughts?

Zone_Out 17-06-2014 11:48

Idk, has she promoted anywhere other than the US?
I gave the album a listen yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised it's a pretty good album for for her, prob my fave from her in ages

digichant 17-06-2014 13:04

She doesn't really have much of a fanbase that is interested in buying her music or supporting her anymore, and general public interest has declined. Plus the music that she is releasing really is just terrible, so unless she ups her game then yes there's no hope for her doing particularly well either now or in the future.

LandslideBrad 17-06-2014 13:18

Her new single is doing really well on US mainstream radio so I don't think the album will flop but it might underperform because people might be put off because of I Luh You Papi.

tim18 17-06-2014 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandslideBrad (Post 73204854)
Her new single is doing really well on US mainstream radio so I don't think the album will flop but it might underperform because people might be put off because of I Luh You Papi.

Is this a joke? The song hasnt even got in the billboard hot 100 at all! So how can it be doing really well on US radio?

LandslideBrad 17-06-2014 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim18 (Post 73205378)
Is this a joke? The song hasnt even got in the billboard hot 100 at all! So how can it be doing really well on US radio?

Its No.20 and climbing on the radio chart.

http://kworb.net/radio/

I was surprised when I saw it on there tbh but I do like the song.

LemonadeMouth 17-06-2014 15:56

When it comes to music Jlo has never been that much of a star. Jlo is one of those artists who is marketed with a lot of hype so that people will think she is a much bigger star than she actually is.

I IZ Ghetto 17-06-2014 16:16

It's always been about her brand rather than her music, which I doubt she wrote any of the good stuff herself anyway, so I'm less than devastated to see her flop. Apparently she can still make over 40 million a year, so........

d56 17-06-2014 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonadeMouth (Post 73206838)
When it comes to music Jlo has never been that much of a star. Jlo is one of those artists who is marketed with a lot of hype so that people will think she is a much bigger star than she actually is.

Totally agree with this.
To be honest, when I think of Jlo, I just think of Maid In Manhattan era when she seemed to be everywhere with Ben Affleck. I think of the big hair and the attention her a*se got at the premiere. Imo, she's more known for the Jlo brand with a few catchy songs. None are particularly iconic though in my opinion.

Makson 17-06-2014 16:37

She's comfortably living off her brand so it doesn't matter or seem a big deal when her music consistently flops.

pearlsandplums 17-06-2014 20:27

she has done very well for being mediocre at everything she has done. Jacqueline of all trades, mistress of none

Hit Em Up Style 17-06-2014 20:32

Problem with J Lo is that she has never really had that much talent. She certainly cannot sing. Even Geri Halliwell is better and she isn't that good an actress either. She is the perfect example of someone who has succeed purely because of how they look.

I did like some of her earlier hits but its easy to see why none of her success was sustained. She arrived with her music just as the latin music wave hit a peak. Despite going into RnB she managed to ride that wave for a good couple of years before her decline kicked in.

Sifter22 17-06-2014 20:40

I remember in 1999 she seemed to be massive. There seemed to be quite an urban and dance scene in the charts then, especially when Eminem came along. She's not been good or relevant for a good few years now though. She still looks fantastic though!

Aura101 17-06-2014 21:04

not that bloody flop word again

Cloudbuster 17-06-2014 21:56

To me she has always seemed to be rather boring and a tad desperate.

I have never considered her an artist....just some mediocre talent trying to make more dollars for her brand.

ritchie2yk 17-06-2014 23:42

Between 1999 - 2002 she was pretty much massive all over and far from a flop , since then she has had ups and downs like everyone else out there

Gotta say heard that luh ya papi song and it's one of the worst I've ever heard, but I like first love so will give the album a try

THEXFACTORKING 18-06-2014 12:02

On the 6 was her best ever album, and nothing has ever topped that.

Second place is this is me...then.....


The other albums are really bad

Zone_Out 18-06-2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit Em Up Style (Post 73212332)
Problem with J Lo is that she has never really had that much talent. She certainly cannot sing. Even Geri Halliwell is better and she isn't that good an actress either. She is the perfect example of someone who has succeed purely because of how they look.

I did like some of her earlier hits but its easy to see why none of her success was sustained. She arrived with her music just as the latin music wave hit a peak. Despite going into RnB she managed to ride that wave for a good couple of years before her decline kicked in.

I'm sorry I disagree with the first bit on talent , she's one hell of a performer easily one of the best, given she doesn't have the best voice, but she easily outperforms a lot of the women in the business.

dee123 18-06-2014 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura101 (Post 73212982)
not that bloody flop word again

But the last few years (without Pitbull's help) she has been a flop.

little-monster 18-06-2014 14:23

Doesn't surprise me This will be another flop album from JLO

Brave, Love?, GH and now this have all been disasters. She hasn't had an actual certified album since Rebirth. No label will want to invest money in her in the near future. This isn't good at all. Not unless she creates her own label.

Plus she hasn't had a hit to carry the album to make people want to buy the album. At least On the floor gained Love? some notice.

She needs to find something she can be good at her. Her films suck and now her music continues to suck. She already has a lead role in a television series lined up for next year. Maybe she might excel in that.

Johnny_Cash 18-06-2014 14:36

she is crying into her millions.

mialicious 18-06-2014 14:55

She is only really famous because of her arse, everything else was irrelevant. Her whole career basically revolved around how great her bum is, she was the go to girl for all talk about a great rear end. I'm pretty sure i remember it was insured for some ridiculous amount. And nearly every guy was saying my perfect girl would have a butt like J-Lo. But these days her buns dont seem as prominent in the media and other celebs have come along like Kim K, Nicki Minaj etc and put her butt in the shade.

barbeler 18-06-2014 15:11

It's inevitable that she'll begin to flop, but I doubt if you will ever see it happen. They're pretty hot on reconstructive surgery in the States and I'm sure she would have it done while pretending either to be ill or on holiday.

zohar100 18-06-2014 22:40

In terms of her celebrity, she's followed a similar trajectory to Lady Gaga. She was launched amidst a tsunami of hype and we were told she was this instant superstar who could sing, dance and act, with a strong interest fashion. The first couple of albums scored big and she's seemingly inescapable for two or three years. But then, the more the public see of her, the more their interest wanes and the records start to sell in ever smaller quantities until the hits pretty much dry up altogether.

I think a big part of the problem is that the public perceive J.Lo's desire to be famous as being far greater than her actual talent which ultimately is a major turn off, making people reluctant to shell out for her 'product'. This isn't helped when very few - if any - of her songs could be considered to be classics and, generally, the quality keeps going down with each new release.

So bearing this in mind, the answer to the OPs question over whether she's always destined to flop, then I think the answer would have to be 'yes'.

Hollie_Louise 18-06-2014 22:58

Whilst she keeps releasing bad music, yes. I loved her albums up to and including Rebirth but everything since then, except for possibly On The Floor (at a push), has been mediocre at best IMO.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38.