Digital Spy Forums

Digital Spy Forums (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php)
-   TV Shows: UK (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bill Oddie Leaves Springwatch! (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=981746)

Katherine 30-01-2009 12:43

Bill Oddie Leaves Springwatch!
 
Truly shocked, but not surprised. It says he is 'taking a breather'. I'm not so sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...30/oddie.shtml

scotch 30-01-2009 12:45

A lot of people didn't seem to like him, but I enjoyed watching him. his enthusiasm shown through and he really knows his stuff

ShinySue 30-01-2009 12:45

oh good, he got on my nerves so much, monopolising the whole programme and being totally dismissive and arrogant towards kate humble.

scotch 30-01-2009 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinySue (Post 30474623)
oh good, he got on my nerves so much, monopolising the whole programme and being totally dismissive and arrogant towards kate humble.

see what I mean :D

he's like marmite

gkmacca 30-01-2009 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotch (Post 30474641)
see what I mean :D

he's like marmite

Yes, brown, sticky and smelly.

stud u like 30-01-2009 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkmacca (Post 30474839)
Yes, brown, sticky and smelly.

Vegemite is better it does not slip off the knife!

birdsong 30-01-2009 13:00

A relative of mine met him and he was quite rude. I'm glad he's going, perhaps I'll watch it now.

Tabbythecat 30-01-2009 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinySue (Post 30474623)
oh good, he got on my nerves so much, monopolising the whole programme and being totally dismissive and arrogant towards kate humble.

He humbled the humble (I'll get me coat)

Katherine 30-01-2009 13:14

Simon King (not the Hairy Baker or weatherman) is rumoured to be in the running to take over... if he does... well...

** flushes round the neck **

** Swoons **

Oh Simon, you make me go weak at the knees....

:D

Harkins63 30-01-2009 13:17

He was quite rude to Bill Turnbull when BBC1's breakfast show linked up wth him and Kate during the Autumn watch week.
My mother can't stand him and will be thrilled.:)

pickledlily 30-01-2009 13:20

I'm quite pleased, he has masses of knowledge, and enthusiasm, but he just doesn't seem to come across well, and as a previous poster has said, he is very dismissive of Kate, always interrupting her,

Apparently the line up for his replacement is a choice between Simon King, Gordon Buchanan, (the Scots cameraman), Ben Fogle and an outside bet on Alan Titchmarsh.

IMO they should bring Simon into the studio, and let Gordon Buchanan do what Simon used to.

Kate is used to working with Ben, but I don't think he is right for Springwatch/Autumnwatch, also he has a lot of other irons in the fire, he will be presenting a new 'Countryfile' spin off soon, chasing up stories that have already been presented on the original Countryfile programme, which is being moved to Sunday teatime soon.

It will be interesting to see which lineup the BBC go with.

Snikpoh 30-01-2009 13:24

I shall start watching Springwatch and Autumnwatch again, if this is the case. Knowledgeable though he is, I just find him very irritating. How Kate Humble put up with him I don't know - she must have the patience of a saint.

Mrs Cee Jay 30-01-2009 13:24

The ideal replacement is Chris Packham.

sweetcorn 30-01-2009 13:24

I expect Kate is pleased. Lately he just seemed like a grumpy old git. I don't dislike the man but pleased he's gone.

Mijath 30-01-2009 13:25

Eternally rude and pompous old git. Good riddance.

BeethovensPiano 30-01-2009 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harkins63 (Post 30475155)
He was quite rude to Bill Turnbull when BBC1's breakfast show linked up wth him and Kate during the Autumn watch week.

That was just bizzare lol

Laurieast 30-01-2009 13:39

This is great news, at last! gone!

Kate Humble must have the patience of a saint, the number of times he interrupted her, it was so rude.

Now we can get on with a much improved program

DavidT 30-01-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickledlily (Post 30475219)
I'm quite pleased, he has masses of knowledge, and enthusiasm, but he just doesn't seem to come across well, and as a previous poster has said, he is very dismissive of Kate, always interrupting her,

Apparently the line up for his replacement is a choice between Simon King, Gordon Buchanan, (the Scots cameraman), Ben Fogle and an outside bet on Alan Titchmarsh.

IMO they should bring Simon into the studio, and let Gordon Buchanan do what Simon used to.

Kate is used to working with Ben, but I don't think he is right for Springwatch/Autumnwatch, also he has a lot of other irons in the fire, he will be presenting a new 'Countryfile' spin off soon, chasing up stories that have already been presented on the original Countryfile programme, which is being moved to Sunday teatime soon.

It will be interesting to see which lineup the BBC go with.

Please, please, not Ben Fogle.

BeethovensPiano 30-01-2009 13:47

I would have thought Simon King would prefer to be out and about with his camera .

afx237vi 30-01-2009 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Cee Jay (Post 30475279)
The ideal replacement is Chris Packham.

Great idea. IIRC, he did a film for Autumnwatch when it was last on (err, in the Autumn).

He's as knowledgeable as Oddie, but not as irritating.

jon8769 30-01-2009 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by afx237vi (Post 30475769)
Great idea. IIRC, he did a film for Autumnwatch when it was last on (err, in the Autumn).

He's as knowledgeable as Oddie, but not as irritating.

Was that the film from the New Forest? Thought it (and he) was very good.

jon8769 30-01-2009 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeethovensPiano (Post 30475594)
I would have thought Simon King would prefer to be out and about with his camera .

And yes, he would I think. Friend worked on the programme for a bit and said Simon was very keen on the all night filming when everyone else was keen to go to the pub!! Nice bloke though :)

zoezee 30-01-2009 14:35

Please not Ben Fogle. I've hated him ever since he was on Castaway - irrationally, as he's never really done anything to offend, but he's just... so... Ben Fogle-y...

HHGTTG 30-01-2009 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 30474577)
Truly shocked, but not surprised. It says he is 'taking a breather'. I'm not so sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...30/oddie.shtml

There must be a God after all.
So far, the best bit of news for 2009.:)

nightstar 30-01-2009 15:22

Fantastic news!

I hope the cat hating Chris Packham doesn't take over though.:rolleyes:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:59.