Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »
    Has DS run out of shillings for the thread meter.

While I'm here, I posted this on the Wright Stuff thread, Clarkson for CBB, ratings gold. :)

How much do you suppose it costs to gain full access to the ratings, maybe this thread should collectively chip in and then get it heh.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Corrie 7.06m (35.4%)
    Emmerdale 5.97m (32.8%)

So the heavily advertised episode of Corrie limps in with 7.1 million viewers. I hate to think what it would have received without the constant trailers.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    From DS

Masterchef topped the ratings outside soaps on Wednesday evening (March 25), according to overnight figures.

The BBC One cooking competition continued its ratings success with 5.23m (25.3%) at 8pm, while The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop followed with 3.05m (15.2%) at 9pm.

BBC Two's The Lady Killers: Pest Detectives interested 1.29m (6.3%) at 8pm, before Hillary Clinton: The Power of Women gathered 830k (4.1%) at 9pm, and QI was seen by 840k (5.1%) at 10pm. The latest edition of Newsnight followed with 830k (7.0%) at 10.30pm.

ITV's Big Star's Little Star entertained 3.52m (16.9%) at 8pm (167k/0.8% on +1), while DCI Banks continued with 4.07m (20.3%) at 9pm (191k/1.4%).

On Channel 4, Three in a Bed continued with 760k (3.7%) at 8pm (117k/0.6%) and 24 Hours in A&E averaged 1.85m (9.2%) at 9pm (324k/2.2%). First Dates amused 1.15m (7.8%) at 10pm (142k/1.9%).

Channel 5's GPs: Behind Closed Doors interested 1.17m (5.7%) at 8pm, while OAPs Behaving Badly shocked 888k (4.4%) at 9pm. Slaughtered at the Murder Hotel was watched by 425k (2.9%) at 10pm.

On ITVBe, TOWIE continued with 384k (2.5%) at 10pm, while The Quizeum topped the multichannels with 689k (3.2%) at 8.30pm on BBC Four.
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd normally laugh but I can't.

The filmed bits for the last 3 shows seem unlikely to ever air unless only May and/or Hammond were in them, and only then if they stay on board.

The BBC would be best off flogging the TG rights, brand and goodwill, commercial rights, licensing, stage shows, magazine and any filmed bits to whichever broadcaster now takes on the three ofthem because before long they will have zero value. Get something back whilst they can.

Cretins.

Why? The presenters don't own the rights to the footage they've already shot and the BBC can air them whenever they want in what format they want...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? The presenters don't own the rights to the footage they've already shot and the BBC can air them whenever they want in what format they want...

I would imagine that two final episodes can be cobbled together, one using the footage already filmed, and another being a best of collection from the history of the show (if they are allowed to use any Clarkson footage).

With all publicity, the final show will get a bumper rating, or at least should do.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    This is a fair point I hadn't actually given much thought to.

It might also be worth considering that Clarkson and co. would potentially have to be much more PC on a commercial broadcaster than they ever were on the BBC. How do we think advertisers would have reacted to the whole n-word scandal? Or any of the other offensive comments Clarkson has made over the years? In a weird way he's been able to get away with a lot of this stuff because he's on the BBC.

On a final note I think its possible people are hammering the nails in the coffin of Top Gear a little too quickly.

Obviously its going to depend on who the BBC bring in to front the show moving forward and what, if any, format changes they make but I'm not entirely convinced by the notion that the show dies without Clarkson. And I'm even less convinced that a show fronted by Clarkson (or the Top Gear trio) on another channel does anywhere near as well.

BIB1: I made the same point earlier … I'm not point-scoring here, as it was popbitch who predicted that Sky might not be the automatic home for Clarkson many people seemed to think because of its diversity policy. (They also cited the Andy Gray/Richard Keys débâcle - i.e. if Sky were prepared to tolerate Clarkson, why did their position become so untenable?)

Other broadcasters have the diversity policies and, as you rightly say, Clarkson could get away with much more at the BBC than he could elsewhere. And that's before you get to the whole business with product reputation. He really has screwed this up for himself royally.

BIB2: totally agree. How many times have we seen doom and gloom abound when a presenter/actor leaves a show and people hysterically declare it's all over now, then the brand survives? TG makes too much money for the BBC to parachute the likes of Joan Bakewell into it - and, given the perilous state of the Licence Fee, it's going to need that kind of income more than ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If May and Hammond decide to renew their contracts would a presenter like Vicky Butler Henderson work well with the two boys ?

She has previously worked on Top Gear, so a familiar face and also loves the fast cars. I guess it would depend on her C5 contract for Fifth Gear. In the pc world of the BBC, they would also be giving a role to a female on BBC Two's biggest show.

At least they could have a few more interesting adventures and race offs - boys vs girls etc.

The BBC need their cash cow to continue, it brings in too much money for them now.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.3m.for CH4 at 10pm is good. First Dates is doing well!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    If May and Hammond decide to renew their contracts would a presenter like Vicky Butler Henderson work well with the two boys ?

She has previously worked on Top Gear, so a familiar face and also loves the fast cars. I guess it would depend on her C5 contract for Fifth Gear. In the pc world of the BBC, they would also be giving a role to a female on BBC Two's biggest show.

At least they could have a few more interesting adventures and race offs - boys vs girls etc.

The BBC need their cash cow to continue, it brings in too much money for them now.

For all their 'we heart Jeremy' talk, May and Hammond would do far better to stay on TG than go elsewhere. They'll be able to command bigger fees, have more creative freedom than they would at another broadcaster and, let's be real, neither has exactly sparkled outside TG.

They need to wise up - they could make a mint if they wanted to …
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,686
    Forum Member
    Full Viacom press release on Spike UK launch. Starts Wednesday, April 15.

http://www.viacom.com/news/pages/newsdetails.aspx?RID=903430
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Full Viacom press release on Spike UK launch. Starts Wednesday, April 15.

http://www.viacom.com/news/pages/newsdetails.aspx?RID=903430

Pity Spike US let impact wrestling go other wise Spike UK could have stole TNA from Challenge heh
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    From DS

Masterchef topped the ratings outside soaps on Wednesday evening (March 25), according to overnight figures.

The BBC One cooking competition continued its ratings success with 5.23m (25.3%) at 8pm, while The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop followed with 3.05m (15.2%) at 9pm.

BBC Two's The Lady Killers: Pest Detectives interested 1.29m (6.3%) at 8pm, before Hillary Clinton: The Power of Women gathered 830k (4.1%) at 9pm, and QI was seen by 840k (5.1%) at 10pm. The latest edition of Newsnight followed with 830k (7.0%) at 10.30pm.

ITV's Big Star's Little Star entertained 3.52m (16.9%) at 8pm (167k/0.8% on +1), while DCI Banks continued with 4.07m (20.3%) at 9pm (191k/1.4%).

On Channel 4, Three in a Bed continued with 760k (3.7%) at 8pm (117k/0.6%) and 24 Hours in A&E averaged 1.85m (9.2%) at 9pm (324k/2.2%). First Dates amused 1.15m (7.8%) at 10pm (142k/1.9%).

Channel 5's GPs: Behind Closed Doors interested 1.17m (5.7%) at 8pm, while OAPs Behaving Badly shocked 888k (4.4%) at 9pm. Slaughtered at the Murder Hotel was watched by 425k (2.9%) at 10pm.

On ITVBe, TOWIE continued with 384k (2.5%) at 10pm, while The Quizeum topped the multichannels with 689k (3.2%) at 8.30pm on BBC Four.

Glad to see that BBC Four is getting higher ratings then that terrible ITVBe, The blood thing was good on there last night too.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »

Alan Yentob said in an interview on Radio 4 yesterday that he could envisage a time when Clarkson could return to the BBC.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    What about those of us that are now more likely to tune in? :)

As someone said yesterday, Top Gear is so big currently that it's very well positioned to recover from something like this. If anything if they get it right with who they bring in they could actually expand its potential lifespan. Even if it loses a fair percentage immediately which I doubt as there will be a lot of curiosity around the first episode back I'm sure, it's still going to be a major hit for BBC Two.

And with Top Gear it's not just about the show domestically anyway. It's a major content brand around the world across multiple mediums and it's not all going to suddenly stop being successful just because some arrogant tosspot thought he was bigger than the show and could get away with treating a colleague appallingly badly.

This is true but the current version of Top Gear IS the most popular version worldwide. It really says something when people like Gillian Anderson, Snoop Dog and William Shatner talk about it. They're not talking about the other version. Top Gear can continue but might not reach these heights again. Picking the new team will be extremely important.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Not often we get Newsnight's rating reported by DS. Decent score for it. They led on Clarkson I believe, including an interview with Alan Yentob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Not often we get Newsnight's rating reported by DS. Decent score for it. They led on Clarkson I believe, including an interview with Alan Yentob.

They did. Isn't Newsnight usually around 600k?
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicken Shop still above 3m viewers - cheap as chips to make, more of a BBC Three type show - especially with the young 'cast' of participants.
  • Options
    PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very low for 'Coronation Ave' i thought with the trailers it would have got around 10.5m. its a shame because i think corrie is on fire at the moment.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed - The final ever episode of Downton Abbey will air on Christmas Day: http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/carnival-films-and-itv-announce-season-6-be-final-downton-abbey
  • Options
    PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Confirmed - The final ever episode of Downton Abbey will air on Christmas Day: http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/carnival-films-and-itv-announce-season-6-be-final-downton-abbey

Good, was never a fan of this over-hyped nonsense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

So this one might get a bigger rating than some of the previous ones. The rumours were true.

American websites were reporting the news a few weeks back.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/20/downton-abbey-ending-season-6-cancelled/
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    So this one might get a bigger rating than some of the previous ones. The rumours were true.

American websites were reporting the news a few weeks back.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/20/downton-abbey-ending-season-6-cancelled/

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?&p=77467506

Nicola Methven of The Mirror reported it back in January.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness just about everyone has been reporting the end of Downton for a few years at this point. Its one of those stories that just gets recycled every year. Eventually one year it was going to be true.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Autumn Sundays next year will be interesting, and hopefully more competitive. If there's a second series of Poldark, which is looking likely, BBC could possibly move that to later in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Autumn Sundays next year will be interesting, and hopefully more competitive. If there's a second series of Poldark, which is looking likely, BBC could possibly move that to later in the year.

If ITV don't react quick enough to the ending of Downton, I could see the BBC moving Poldark to fill that void - they would then dominate Sundays both pre and post Christmas with Midwife taking up the baton in January.

As we have seen though, when viewers know something is coming to an end, they tend to drift away. We could see lower overnights as viewers have less of an incentive to catch up. Whether the final episode on Christmas Day will get a boost is another thing. It may be the final episode but 2 hours of period drama for the fans will need to be savoured.

Of course for December 2016, just what can ITV put in it's place ?
This discussion has been closed.