View Single Post
Old 28-07-2009, 13:15
Orion
Forum Member

For some reason I'm not bothered by someone saying 'The show's been murdered', but I think 'The show's been raped' is a bit more graphic and unpleasant. I don't know why. However, I wasn't offended by the thread title.

However, if someone said 'I could rape a cheeseburger' then I would think they were being unnecessarily unpleasant. I wouldn't try to censor their speech, but I wouldn't like it either. Perhaps it's because murder is a bit more abstract and non-specific (ie what method), whereas rape is a pretty clear cut concept.

If someone says 'Jeez, I could kill you for that', it sounds like a joke. If you said 'you deserve to be raped for that!', it comes across much more as bad taste. I

magine if someone said they worked in a primary school. 'Sometimes I could kill the little tykes when they misbehave!' - that you wouldn't take too seriously. But if you substitute the word 'kill'... Do I need to spell it out?

But a bitch is just a girl dog, so Santa's Little Helper is indeed a son of a bitch! No need to edit that out. Stupid censors.
But without the double meaning of 'bitch' there is no joke. It's disingenuous to say that the offensive meaning is not also implied.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote