View Single Post
Old 28-07-2009, 21:02
rich_edwards79
Forum Member

Re. the casual use of the word 'raped', I find it very unpleasant - too much detail for one thing, and a concept that most people don't really want to be confronted with unnecessarily. But then I'm 30 and already feel like a grumpy old man in this country. Just because the skinny-jeaned yoof thinks something's OK doesn't make it so. They also misuse 'gay' as a replacement for 'bad' - a team that loses or a song they don't like or a person who 'disses' them is automatically gay, or as some insist upon misspelling it, 'ghey'. Even the usually insanely PC Beeb has tried to justify this when used by Radio 1 presenters and Jeremy Clarkson. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or someone like me who's not gay, to appreciate why associating a word commonly used to denote a historically oppressed social group with negativity might just be considered offensive.

My first thought about the Gilmore Girls was that it's quite unusual in having not one but several fat characters in it, ordinary, everywoman fat characters who unlike the self-loathing stars of 'Biggest Loser' and 'Fat Teens Can't Hunt' don't spend their entire lives blubbing about being fat and being shown sweating and miserable in humiliatingly undersized clothing. However given that Doctors groups are now calling for a ban on positive representations of fat people in the media since they apparently set a bad example and undermine the war on obesity (all those thousands of impressionable aforementioned McKenzie-wearing identikit teens who see Beth Ditto or James Corden and decide there and then to hit the Pizza Hut buffet in order to be just like them), the idea of it being cut to ribbons for content if not language really isn't so far-fetched.
rich_edwards79 is offline   Reply With Quote