View Single Post
Old 22-08-2010, 13:28
Vabosity
Forum Member

Half a dozen tracks, two each from three very different musical acts.

Let’s start with a couple of instrumentals from John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, the first featuring Eric Clapton on guitar, and the second featuring my all-time favourite rock guitarist, the one and only Peter Green.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Steppin' Out (1966)
My favourite Eric Clapton track of the sixties. I prefer this to anything he did with the Yardbirds or Cream.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - The Supernatural (1967)
Peter Green making some quite magical sounds on this track, shortly before he went off to make more magical sounds with Fleetwood Mac. I’m probably in a minority, but whenever the bandname Fleetwood Mac is ever mentioned I immediately think Peter Green rather than Buckingham-Nicks.

There have been quite few tracks featured on this thread by the British band The Birds, but none, as far as I know, by the America band The Byrds. Time to remedy the situation.

The Byrds - So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (1967)
“Eight Miles High” is my favourite Byrds track, but that’s just a little too well known for this thread, even though it was only a minor UK hit. So here’s my second favourite Byrds track instead.

The Byrds - Dolphin's Smile (1968)
Lovely song from the album “The Notorious Byrd Brothers”.

Finally, two tracks from Canada’s finest, Joni Mitchell.

Joni Mitchell - Chelsea Morning (1969)
One of her earliest songs, written when she was living in the Chelsea neighbourhood of New York City.

Joni Mitchell - Woodstock (1970)
Although this track is on the 1970 album “Ladies of the Canyon”, the music festival being referred to in the song is a very famous sixties event, so I feel that it’s more appropriate for this track to be submitted to a sixties thread rather than to an equivalent seventies thread (if such a thread was ever to exist). I love both the Matthews Southern Comfort and CSNY cover versions of this song, but afaic neither hold a candle to Joni’s not so well known original, which imho is exquisite.
Vabosity is offline   Reply With Quote