View Single Post
Old 15-01-2011, 18:27
Iggyman
Forum Member

Yeah, they were such a dismal failiure creatively and financially weren't they?

Let me guess, you were livid at the exclusion of Tom Bombadill.

I was actually REALLY looking forward to Del Torro doing this film, he's perfectly suited to such a project, so it's a shame he's not doing it, he's the only director other than Jackson that I feel could be trusted with the franchise.

Still, it's in good hands nontheless.
Okay, let's take those points one at a time:

a) Creativity - nope, not seeing it. Compared to the books the creativity seemed to have gone out of the window.

b) Financially - yup, they made oodles of money, but that doesn't mean that they were any good (look no further than the dreadful Avatar to prove that point).

c) Tom Bombadil? His absence didn't worry me, but omitting The Scouring of the Shire was a huge mistake.

Genrally speaking, Jackson chopped out far too much, added a lot of utter nonsense and, in doing so, completely changed many characters and their actions (Faramir, Eowyn and Denethor to name but three).

I'm pleased that Del Torro isn't directing The Hobbit - the guy fixates far too much on creature designs, putting them before the story. Then again, I'm also unhappy that Jackson is directing and co-writing The Hobbit. I certainly won't waste my money by watching it.
Iggyman is offline   Reply With Quote