Options

2012 and beyond

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    The current wave of panic running through some sections of fandom is a lot of silly fuss about nothing. I've got no problem with there being less episodes during 2012, if it helps to keep the series keep going for the long term (i.e. the 50th Anniversary and well beyond) rather than be allowed to run out of steam and go off the rails as it did back in the 80s.

The BBC know all too well that Doctor Who is one of their most important brands and it's good to see they're looking after it now better than they ever did during the 63 to 89 run.

The series is moving to a new custom built production base soon and it's totally practical and logical to allow time for the team to take a breather and get settled in to the base rather than rush everything through to keep a few impatient fans happy.

This isn't 1985 or even 1989 again, far from it. We now have a BBC management which holds the series in higher regard than their predecessors ever did.

Maybe there are budget issues, but again, I’d happily settle for a few less episodes per year rather than none.

Beyond the 2011 Xmas special, we don’t know what the transmission pattern might be, and to speculate I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an Easter 2012 episode, followed by six episodes in the Autumn, a 2012 Xmas special with the rest showing in spring 2013, setting things up nicely for whatever plans are being made for the Anniversary.

We've never had it so good! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current wave of panic running through some sections of fandom is a lot of silly fuss about nothing. I've got no problem with there being less episodes during 2012, if it helps to keep the series keep going for the long term (i.e. the 50th Anniversary and well beyond) rather than be allowed to run out of steam and go off the rails as it did back in the 80s.

The BBC know all too well that Doctor Who is one of their most important brands and it's good to see they're looking after it now better than they ever did during the 63 to 89 run.

The series is moving to a new custom built production base soon and it's totally practical and logical to allow time for the team to take a breather and get settled in to the base rather than rush everything through to keep a few impatient fans happy.

This isn't 1985 or even 1989 again, far from it. We now have a BBC management which holds the series in higher regard than their predecessors ever did.

Maybe there are budget issues, but again, I’d happily settle for a few less episodes per year rather than none.

Beyond the 2011 Xmas special, we don’t know what the transmission pattern might be, and to speculate I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an Easter 2012 episode, followed by six episodes in the Autumn, a 2012 Xmas special with the rest showing in spring 2013, setting things up nicely for whatever plans are being made for the Anniversary.

^This.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I wish the BBC had just released a statement saying season 7 was being moved to the autumn from 2012, which meant some of the episodes would be shown before Christmas and some after.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^^^ this!!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why has everyone suddenly hit the panic button? until something more definitive is known I am erring on the side of no news is good news. the prophets of doom who constantly predict the end is nigh are about as reliable as that bloke who said the world was coming to an end a few weeks ago and have never gotten over the fact that someone else can run the show just as well, if not better, than RTD.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC aren't exactly doing themselves and the Moff any favours with this article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

*Facepalm*
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC aren't exactly doing themselves and the Moff any favours with this article...

*Facepalm*

News teams reporting on twitter stories :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*Facepalm*
    Sherlock is already filming, for transmission in the Autumn:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a304101/gatiss-confirms-sherlock-filming-date.html
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*Facepalm*

But even Cohen says there'll be 'more' episodes in 2013. I take that to mean on top of the 14 commissioned this year. I still think we'll get a half series ion the Autumn with the other half in Spring, then more episodes commissioned later for broadcast in Autumn 2013 to tie-in with the anniversary.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    ...and that unnamed BBC reported is repeating the "Too busy with Sherlock" line despite that having been previously explained as a joke.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    wildangel wrote: »
    Ha, loved reading all this.

Us slightly more 'senior' ones are just bl**dy grateful to have DW back in production at all (wonder how the FMs ages influence which reactions we're seeing - are those who lived through the wilderness years being more laid back than the newbies?)

For the record, I agree with others that with the Olympics, date of the anniversary etc it's all to be expected. Plus they have a bit more flexibility now to change their shooting dates which they didn't have when Torchwood and SJA filled the gaps in the studio time.

You may very well have a point however those who only jumped aboard the good ship Who-ship may be impatient and expect x amount of The Doctor per year but I'm also sensing a bit of paranoia from those old enough to remember how badly the show was treated in the 80s and they're almost expecting the same thing to happen again, despite the fact the show is held in much higher regard these days by both the general public and the BBC itself.

It seems we are all such a big fan of The Doctor that any slight change in the modus operandi of him getting to us sends us all into a bit of a panic.

Quite right too ;p
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    why has everyone suddenly hit the panic button? until something more definitive is known I am erring on the side of no news is good news. the prophets of doom who constantly predict the end is nigh are about as reliable as that bloke who said the world was coming to an end a few weeks ago and have never gotten over the fact that someone else can run the show just as well, if not better, than RTD.

Wow long time so see, sadly I see you haven't changed your tune and somehow are trying to blame all of this on RTD's fans....bit bizarre logic there tbh.
    New Fans, old fans, RTD fans, Moffat fans, Baker Fans, Smith fans, surely none of them want the series off the air despite whatever era they see themselves a fan of first.

Lets not try and divide ourselves into little sub groups rather stand united in these uncertain times, whatever is coming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow long time so see, sadly I see you haven't changed your tune and somehow are trying to blame all of this on RTD's fans....bit bizarre logic there tbh.
    New Fans, old fans, RTD fans, Moffat fans, Baker Fans, Smith fans, surely none of them want the series off the air despite whatever era they see themselves a fan of first.

Lets not try and divide ourselves into little sub groups rather stand united in these uncertain times, whatever is coming.

wasn't blaming anyone. just saying no need to hit the panic button yet and it have been others constantly asserting the end is nigh because of Moffat and revelling in the uncertainty of what the structure of any future series will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the prophets of doom who constantly predict the end is nigh are about as reliable as that bloke who said the world was coming to an end a few weeks ago and have never gotten over the fact that someone else can run the show just as well, if not better, than RTD.

To be fair, BG, RTD wrote Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures all at the same time and produced four complete seasons of Who without a break - before the 2009 'specials' season.

Steven Moffett has done two seasons of Who - one of which has already been split in two - and we're now having another big gap so he can write a different TV show.

I wouldn't really agree with your opinion that he's doing better than RTD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    To be fair, BG, RTD wrote Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures all at the same time and produced four complete seasons of Who without a break - before the 2009 'specials' season.

Steven Moffett has done two seasons of Who - one of which has already been split in two - and we're now having another big gap so he can write a different TV show.

that's why I used if....all down to viewer choice and preference. Moffat has certainly not run the series into the ground as some would claim. just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    ...we're now having another big gap so he can write a different TV show.

We do not know that there will be a "big gap" and the "write a different TV show" has been explained as a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that's why I used if....all down to viewer choice and preference. Moffat has certainly not run the series into the ground as some would claim. just my opinion of course.

No, I certainly wouldn't say that either. I wasn't keen on season 5 but I am loving season 6. I am just worried that all of these changes and gaps in transmission - including the 2009 'specials' that RTD introduced - are weakening the show's audience base. Not every viewer is a fan!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was just about to post this exact same point. There is more to it than Moffats writing schedule! If RTD can manage 13 eps of DW per year as well as creating and producing and writing for 2 Torchwood seasons (each containing 13 eps) as well as creating, producing and writing for the 12 part Sarah Jane Adventures, I don't see "Moffats writing schedule" as a sound excuse. If he can't cope get out of the kitchen. That's why I feel it's more than that, especially as Sherlock only has 3 episodes!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

*Facepalm*

If Moffat can't find time to do the required number of Who episodes then fire him
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This has been handled incredibly poorly by the BBC's communications team.

Does the BBC not like Steven Moffatt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not remotely true. Moffat writes the majority of both Who and Sherlock. RTD wrote for Doctor Who but did very little writing for either of the spin-offs. The only two episodes of SJA which he wrote after the pilot were in the fourth series-after he'd left Doctor Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha have you seen his latest tweet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I was just about to post this exact same point. There is more to it than Moffats writing schedule! If RTD can manage 13 eps of DW per year as well as creating and producing and writing for 2 Torchwood seasons (each containing 13 eps) as well as creating, producing and writing for the 12 part Sarah Jane Adventures, I don't see "Moffats writing schedule" as a sound excuse. If he can't cope get out of the kitchen. That's why I feel it's more than that, especially as Sherlock only has 3 episodes!

And I will respond to the exact same point: RTD did not write for The Sarah Jane Adventures following the pilot episode until after he'd left Doctor Who, and he wrote very little of Torchwood either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The scheduling of Dr Who has got NOTHING to with Sherlock. On the plus side THE BBC SPELLED MY NAME RIGHT!!!!"

From Mr Mofffattt