Options

BBC to air Censored version of TW Miracle Day

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarat wrote: »
    JB has said he will be totally naked - cocks, hard or otherwise are the sort of thing BBC1 does not do at 9pm (i'm sure someone will find an example but it very rare).

The last time that I looked, men can be filmed "totally naked" without revealing their manhood, erect or otherwise. ;)

It is unlikely the script would have had 'americanisms' in it, it was written for both markets by a team of Brits and Americans, even if it did we are used to American terms,
    American bloke to other American bloke whilst admiring a woman across the room: "nice fanny ..."

Yes, I can see the Daily Mail headlines. :eek:

This would be more likely to be a difference where briitish terms are concered as Americans are less aware of our culture than we are of theirs.
    Possible, but that is a matter for conjecture.

Lets wait and see what the mag and the show reveal
    Oh I agree totally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Moffat is not writing for TW though, in fact he is not involved with it.
    I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy380 wrote: »
    I know.
    So if you have an issue with SM's writing on a separate programme, why do you say that have no faith the BBC will make the right decisions when we are talking about totally separate things (i,e programme making and the decisions therein)? Or is it because you feel that they have let SM get away with what you see as shoddy writing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is it because you feel that they have let SM get away with what you see as shoddy writing?
    ^nail on head.:D
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Clarat wrote: »
    I...cocks, hard or otherwise are the sort of thing BBC1 does not do at 9pm (i'm sure someone will find an example but it very rare).

It's not just about the strict timing of such things - it has to be contextual. Even if a show is broadcast at 11pm, if it's been on-air a year or two and there's never been anything to suggest that there'll be full-frontal nudity, "extreme" language, sexual violence or any of the other elements that are considered by regulators, then they can't just suddenly flop their tackle out and say - "So what - it's after 9pm".

In fact, there's more than one "watershed" in the UK and anything that would be rated as "18" for cinema or DVD release can only be shown in it's original, unedited format after 10pm. However, if a film is rated 18 but the specific scenes that warranted that certificate don't appear until later in the movie, it may be acceptable to start the film at 9pm povided that warnings are given.

Even the watershed times are not "switches" - the brodacaster can't suddenly introduce regulated scenes at 9pm. They are obliged to have a transition so the audience doesn't suddenly go from some sit-com into a violent or sexual scene. In practise, that means that regulated content is no generally used in the first 10-15 minutes of a show.

The regs are loosely based on the same ratings system used by the BBFC and the watershed is different to pay-per-view or premium film channels where the watershed starts at 8pm.

In terms of a TV series like Torchwood which may have a 15-18 rating, the broadcaster has a choice - show it after 10 or edit for 9pm viewing. They have to balance their commercial interests - they need people watching. The difference between being forced to show the program after 10pm and being allowed to show it at 9pm may be as simple as only showing a person being shot twice instead of three times or cutting a second or two from an fairly static image of a naked body.

Program makers like RTD will often push everything to the limit - sometimes just to be controversial and sometimes there will simply be a difference of opinion between them and the producers (or executive producers) as to what is "acceptable" - not just in terms of regulation but in terms of what they believe the audience is willing to accept.

Torchwood is a great example of the latter - it is mainstream entertainment and appeals to a wide audience and the elements of homosexuality have mostly been accepted as inoffensive and integral but it's still a very touchy subject and there's a huge gulf between "broad-minded" and "doesn't matter". A lot of people are comfortable with the idea of homosexuality - as long as they don't have to see it. The broadcaster will not want to risk alienating their mainstream audience - whether they agree with their views or not is irrelevent - because they want to see ratings. If that means showing a kiss but not a crotch-squeeze or not actually showing Jack reaching for the XY Jelly - they'll cut a couple of seconds to avoid losing half a million viewers.

It's business at the end of the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    If that means showing a kiss but not a crotch-squeeze or not actually showing Jack reaching for the XY Jelly - they'll cut a couple of seconds to avoid losing half a million viewers.

What is XY Jelly? A male jellyfish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is XY Jelly? A male jellyfish?

It's like KY Jelly - but only for men.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this thread! It's brilliant.:D

Keep it up!

(Oops, sorry, poor choice of words:o)
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Keep it up!

Granny! :eek:

You did that on purpose... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Keep it up!

You just had to slip that one in :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Keep it up!

I think it's hard going - but it has given a new meaning to Torch-Wood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's hard going - but it has given a new meaning to Torch-Wood.

Yeah it'll have to be renamed Touch-Wood :D
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Unsuitable for viewing, unsuitable for our culture, or just irrelevant?

Mind you, stcoop seems to love spinning the worst .....

Only because people rise to it.

Best ignored like the users on Roobarbs and GB do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Adding to the controversy over the fact that TW will premiere first on USTV, now comes the news that US and UK episodes will have differences.

Due to the different nature of audinces in the UK and US, several references, jokes, comments etc will appear in one version and not the other. UK references will not appear in the US and vice versa.

Also with TW airing on US Cable TV, US episodes will have greater content freedom, whilst some scenes will be snipped due to Broadcasting standards on UKTV - in particular there is one sexual scene which will not be screened in the UK as it will in the US.

Furthermore, the UK episodes have been confirmed as being the ones to suffer most from these "version edits" due to episode duration - Starz episodes will be longer than BBC episodes.

Read for yourselves here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT: Silly mod, this post didn't need to be in the thread it was requesting a merge into! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Adding to the controversy over the fact that TW will premiere first on USTV, now comes the news that US and UK episodes will have differences.

Due to the different nature of audinces in the UK and US, several references, jokes, comments etc will appear in one version and not the other. UK references will not appear in the US and vice versa.

Also with TW airing on US Cable TV, US episodes will have greater content freedom, whilst some scenes will be snipped due to Broadcasting standards on UKTV - in particular there is one sexual scene which will not be screened in the UK as it will in the US.

Furthermore, the UK episodes have been confirmed as being the ones to suffer most from these "version edits" due to episode duration - Starz episodes will be longer than BBC episodes.

Read for yourselves here
    In addition to the aforementioned five page threaad above, the article you linked to specifies that the british versions will probably be the longer one, not vice versa:
    In any case, when the episodes actually air, we'll do our best to keep track of which scenes are in one version but not the other. It sounds like, overall, the British versions will be the longer cuts because of the refrence to "episode timings."
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Read for yourselves here

I just read it, and it just speculates what will be different/edited. Its opinion, not fact. All that is known is that there will be some differences, not the nature of those differences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Easiest way to solve all this bother - download the US version if you're in the UK, and vise versa... Then watch both XD
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

They did the same with the "Extras" Xmas special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    I just read it, and it just speculates what will be different/edited. Its opinion, not fact. All that is known is that there will be some differences, not the nature of those differences.
    No change from this thread then really - guesses and speculation taken to be fact, and all based upon the same two short tweets and little more.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Rwar wrote: »
    Easiest way to solve all this bother - download the US version if you're in the UK, and vise versa... Then watch both XD
    I'm sure Tardis Wikia will note all the differences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few tweets today, as replies to other tweets, from Tom Spilsbury, gives a bit of context::

It's up to the creator to decide how to present its product. EVERY programme is cut by its creator. That's what editing IS.
    The only difference in this case is that there are TWO creators, in effect, so they are each making their own choices.
    But if there wasn't a US network doing its own thing, the BBC would be doing the same thing & you'd never even know about it
    And this is completely ridiculous anyway. You have no idea what's been cut, in what way, and for what reason.
    But it's RTD making the decision. He's the one who's deciding what to cut – or not! That's his job. Trust him to do it!
    Occasionally a TV/film producer might want to make different cut of his programme/film for different audiences.
    They're making one edit for US audience and one for UK audience. Ironic it's UK fans moaning when UK edit is longer!

They haven't started with one 'master version' & cut it for the UK. They've prepared two parallel edits for different markets.

Note also that it seems to be RTD making a UK cut of the series.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Note also that it seems to be RTD making a UK cut of the series.

So, davies has sold out and short changed the British audience. What a shock. I wouldn't watch this now if they paid me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, davies has sold out and short changed the British audience. What a shock. I wouldn't watch this now if they paid me.

How do you get to this when the UK version is longer?
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

Oh. Go on now. You will. You will you will you will you will you will you will you will.

Or, perhaps, not.