The Ratings Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a Top Gear ratings graph which I'll cross-post here for anyone interested: http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7463/topgeard.png

And the yearly averages are as follows:

2002 - 3.30m
    2003 - 3.61m
    2004 - 3.80m
    2005 - 4.32m
    2006 - 4.54m
    2007 - 7.03m
    2008 - 6.73m
    2009 - 6.96m
    2010 - 6.51m
    2011 - 6.99m

All official ratings. Anyone thinking Top Gear's about to decline is badly wrong, as it timeshifts a lot in the officials. Last night's overnight may have been poor, but it will still timeshift to ~6m.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Here's a Top Gear ratings graph which I'll cross-post here for anyone interested: http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7463/topgeard.png

2002 - 3.30m
    2003 - 3.61m
    2004 - 3.80m
    2005 - 4.32m
    2006 - 4.54m
    2007 - 7.03m
    2008 - 6.73m
    2009 - 6.96m
    2010 - 6.51m
    2011 - 6.99m

All official ratings. Anyone thinking Top Gear's about to decline is badly wrong, as it timeshifts a lot in the officials. Last night's overnight may have been poor, but it will still timeshift to ~6m.

Thanks for those figures. It certainly contradicts the received wisdom that its a show in ratings decline. I expect 2011 to fall from there - it'd only be natural that a July run rates lower than a February one - but it'll still be within half a million of TG's peak in 2007 (which was the year after the Hammond crash, IIRC).
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member

2002 - 3.30m
    2003 - 3.61m
    2004 - 3.80m
    2005 - 4.32m
    2006 - 4.54m
    2007 - 7.03m
    2008 - 6.73m
    2009 - 6.96m
    2010 - 6.51m
    2011 - 6.99m

Goes to show how effective Hammond's crash was on boosting the series.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2002 - 3.30m
    2003 - 3.61m
    2004 - 3.80m
    2005 - 4.32m
    2006 - 4.54m
    2007 - 7.03m
    2008 - 6.73m
    2009 - 6.96m
    2010 - 6.51m
    2011 - 6.99m

Last week's show only went up to 5.27m in the BARB chart from 5.14m in the overnights. Do the above ratings include iPlayer as well as otherwise it's not going to get close to 6m?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the eighties version of Top Gear, which was a classic worthy but dull car show that pulled in 1.5 million viewers on BBC Two. It's amazing how this one time television version of What Car has now become a ratings hit that can rival EE in the ratings.
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last week's show only went up to 5.27m in the BARB chart from 5.14m in the overnights.
    5.27m (BBC2) + 0.95m (BBC HD) = 6.22m

Edit: This doesn't include iplayer which is usually in excess of 1m requests within 7 days.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the above ratings include iPlayer as well.....

iPlayer not included.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    The overnights you've posted were SD/HD. The officials are 5.267m SD and 950k HD, totalling 6.217m an 18% uplift.

Thanks, missed that they listed those separately on the BARB site. Thought it was strange it hadn't gone up much :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ITV1 are going through motions now on Sundays: The Royal will be gone forever soon and it looks like PTOS will die an unmourned death as well. I really think ITV1 is the wrong channel for an opera based reality show as most opera buffs don't like ITV and reality shows and vice versa.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Anyone remember the eighties version of Top Gear, which was a classic worthy but dull car show that pulled in 1.5 million viewers on BBC Two. It's amazing how this one time television version of What Car has now become a ratings hit that can rival EE in the ratings.

In fairness it did a lot better than that in its prime. It often got 5m plus for its Thursday 8.30 showing and then a couple mill more for the in-week repeat. It regularly topped BBC2s Top 30 with a combined 7-8m audience.

I do though still miss those heady days of William Wollard and Chris Coffey before that young whippersnapper from Yorkshire with a perm showed up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    And then The Mentalist is back, with S1 repeats resuming. :)

Not interested in seeing The Mentalist. Any word on when Law & Order: Criminal Intent's 8th season will premiere on Five?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is everyone so :eek: about the Wimbledon Men's final figure?. It gets around about that same rating every year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness it did a lot better than that in its prime. It often got 5m plus for its Thursday 8.30 showing and then a couple mill more for the in-week repeat. It regularly topped BBC2s Top 30 with a combined 7-8m audience.

I do though still miss those heady days of William Wollard and Chris Coffey before that young whippersnapper from Yorkshire with a perm showed up!

I got the ratings info from Clarkson's biography. However, I was convinced that it did better than what the biog said as it was the only regular car show in the 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so :eek: about the Wimbledon Men's final figure?. It gets around about that same rating every year.

Eh? :confused:

I haven't seen one :eek: attributed to the Wimbledon figure, a few 'very good' and 'brilliant', that's about it. It was on the high end of what I expected, but nothing huge like.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popstar to Operastar's results did well, beating the actual main show.

It usually gets discussed quite extensively when it is the other way round.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    WaveCrest wrote: »
    Any word on when Law & Order: Criminal Intent's 8th season will premiere on Five?
    I don't have any dates at the moment, but can confirm the rights to Season 8 of the programme kick in this month. I think it'll return the same week as CSI: Miami, so end of July. I hope they will schedule it on Saturdays alongside S.V.U.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS has updated. Penn and Teller only got 3.2m with +1. :(

I wonder why it's lost a million viewers in 2 weeks. The reaction has been the best I can remember for a new LE show but it's falling into flop territory fast.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Popstar to Operastar's results did well, beating the actual main show.

It usually gets discussed quite extensively when it is the other way round.
    It didn't do well though Andy! ITV News would have performed better there.

As D.M.N. pointed out this boost only came about because BBC One were midway through a drama at the time and it had a strong lead-in (which it still managed to mostly squander).
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In spite of the weather some shows are showing really impressive consolidated viewing figures.

w/e June 26 2011

Eastenders (Tue) 8.83m
    The Apprentice (Wed) 8.78m
    Luther (Tue) 6.11m
    Coronation Street (Mon) 9.41m
    Top Gear (Sun) 6.22m
    The Apprentice - You're Fired (Wed) 3.60m
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penn and Teller didn't even make it to 3m without plus one, pulling in 2.88m. :( The Marriage Ref needs to be shelved now, because frankly it's a disgrace to the channel. Casualty only pulled in 4.94m; that seems low even for the summer - against the dire opposition it has I expected it to tip the 5m mark.

Scott and Bailey performed well, and if Popstar to Operastar could've held the kind of figure it recorded at 10pm it may have just been a poor returnee instead of a total flop. Obviously it benefited from weak opposition on BBC1. Top Gear struggled even counting the hot weather as a factor. Transformers did reasonably well.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    BBC HD had both Family Guy episodes scheduled on the EPG tonight.

announcer at end of first Family Guy

'due to our ongoing coverage of Wimbledon we can't bring you the next episode of Family Guy so please switch over to BBC3'

Wtf?!

You PAY for one HD screening then don't screen it for a repeat of Wimbledon?!

There's some great joined up thinking
    It's a cartoon! It doesn't matter!
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Interesting article, Sirens is hopefully the start of more drama series and hopefully they can find one that sticks so they can end Shameless on a high. Fresh Meat sounds more like a E4 show.

Can't believe Channel 4 drama budget is higher than BBC Two although I imagine a good chunk of it goes towards Hollyoaks. The Original British Drama branding is quite good and Channel 4 should adopt a similar tagline for their dramas, maybe Channel 4 Originals or 4Drama Premieres?
    They used to, I think in the days of the squares and stripes branding.
    A few bits from TV Scoops on Twitter which haven't been picked up here:

- Anthony Horowitz, creator of hit dramas 'Collision', 'Foyle's War' and 'Injustice,' is writing a new drama for ITV1: 'The Organisation'.
    - ITV has ordered a new game show pilot, 'Worth a Fortune'. If the pilot is successful, a full series will be commissioned. In 'Worth a Fortune', 4 contestants using their instincts have to predict the value of fascinating objects of memorabilia in front of them. The contestant furthest away from the correct amount is knocked out in each round until one person remains who walks away with cash prize
    - Series two of hit ITV1 factual series 'Long Lost Family', hosted by Nicky Campbell and Davina McCall, begins filming next month.

And from Jake Humphrey's Twitter, he is "off to BBC, making a pilot for a new entertainment show" later today. Anyone know what the show name is?
    Jake will be getting a slap on the wrist then. And no surprise Long Lost Family is returning - might it get a return as early as the autumn?
    I'm not sure when to do updates today - probably when DS updates.

However, what I can tell you is that Penn and Teller: Fool Us, according to Broadcast did not get above 3m, instead it sank to 2.43m (11.17%). :eek: The Marriage Ref had 1.73m (8.4%) - an absolute disaster for ITV.
    The Marriage Ref has to go now, though Penn and Teller doesn't look too bad when you see the figure in the context of what the BBC was getting that night, although I don't think it's going to be returning. As I've always thought it would be better suited to airing in specials at points during the year rather than as a weekly series.
    They mentioned on This Morning today (somewhere after Phil chairing the USA side (?) in a US v UK Independence Day quiz!) that their 'last show of the series' is a week on Friday (July 15).

Not sure if that is a sign of the pressure on the ratings but they have not been going off air for the summer recently and have run it right through with Eammon and Ruth hosting.

I assume they will fill the gap with repeats of reality shows. Or are they putting the new show presented by Melanie Sykes and Gino Di Campo in that slot (or Loose Women's) or later in the afternoon? Did they setttle on calling it Gino and Mel? Or Mel and Gino? Or just The Egos have landed? :)
    It's due to be on from the 18th - I'm sure they just meant it is "their" last show.

Would be interesting to see how the demos for This Morning differ when Ruth and Eammon host as I'd have thought they'd attract an older audience than Phil and Holly, so although they are their relief presenters they're an odd choice for the holidays really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Saturday ratings, first bunch here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51191661&postcount=2991

BBC One
    19:10 - Total Wipeout: 2.96m (18.2%)

ITV1
    18:45 - You've Been Framed!: 3.05m (21.1%)
    * +1: 134k
    19:15 - Odd One In: 3.20m (20.0%)
    20:00 - Penn and Teller: Fool Us: 2.88m (15.3%)
    * +1: 294k

Five
    19:50 - CSI: NY: 824k (4.5%)
    21:50 - Law and Order: SUV: 1.29m (6.9%)

Primetime Shares
    BBC One - 20.1%
    ITV1 - 12.9% (+1: 0.8%)
    Channel 4 - 6.1% (+1: 0.8%)
    BBC Two - 5.8%
    Channel 5 - 4.9%

Source: DS. Ratings are tape-checked and include HD.

Anyone have the In It to Win It rating? Based on the 'above 4m' tweet from yesterday, I think about 4.2m (22.3%).

Quite scary thought that Odd One In may get recommissioned again, although the raw figure is crap, it hit 20% share.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More Saturday ratings, first bunch here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51191661&postcount=2991

BBC One
    19:10 - Total Wipeout: 2.96m (18.2%)

ITV1
    18:45 - You've Been Framed!: 3.05m (21.1%)
    * +1: 134k
    19:15 - Odd One In: 3.20m (20.0%)
    20:00 - Penn and Teller: Fool Us: 2.88m (15.3%)
    * +1: 294k

Five
    19:50 - CSI: NY: 824k (4.5%)
    21:50 - Law and Order: SUV: 1.29m (6.9%)

Primetime Shares
    BBC One - 20.1%
    ITV1 - 12.9% (+1: 0.8%)
    Channel 4 - 6.1% (+1: 0.8%)
    BBC Two - 5.8%
    Channel 5 - 4.9%

Source: DS. Ratings are tape-checked and include HD.

Anyone have the In It to Win It rating? Based on the 'above 4m' tweet from yesterday, I think about 4.2m (22.3%).

Quite scary thought that Odd One In may get recommissioned again, although the raw figure is crap, it hit 20% share.

Looking at those figures ITV1 may as well stick You've Been Framed in the heart of primetime! I think Penn & Teller would do better in an earlier slot.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They mentioned on This Morning today (somewhere after Phil chairing the USA side (?) in a US v UK Independence Day quiz!) that their 'last show of the series' is a week on Friday (July 15).

Not sure if that is a sign of the pressure on the ratings but they have not been going off air for the summer recently and have run it right through with Eammon and Ruth hosting.
    I think a break would do it good.
This discussion has been closed.