Options

BBC changing channels and Sky Plus

unhappybunnyunhappybunny Posts: 281
Forum Member
Im rather cross....

Every week I like to watch Songs of Praise, usually broadcast every Sunday in HD on BBC One HD.

The time often changes, but as I am rarely home when it is on that doesn't matter, as it is left to my Sky Plus (which records regardless of the time as it is on- thanks to series link).

However, recently, I.E today because of Golf and a few weeks ago during Wimbledon, they have shifted it onto BBC Two.

This means my SkyPlus doesn't record it, as it doesn't recognise the channel change. And also means that I don't get to see it in HD. This is so annoying.

The Golf is the non-regular program (i.e. a one off) so surely that should be on BBC Two, so the regular SOP appears on its usual channel in HD and the SkyPlus recordings are not interrupted. Its quite a disgrace !!!

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,644
    Forum Member
    You have had all week to check and set your timers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

Wow what a nice reply... the idea of Series Link is you don't have to "check and set your timers".

Imagine if I had to "check and set my timers" every day for EVERY item in my series link !!! It would completely defeat the object of series link !!!
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and I'm going to assume they are at home now so could watch it anyway if not there is BBC iPlayer. I don't think Songs of Praise is in HD anyway, if it was it would be on BBC HD.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Wow what a nice reply... the idea of Series Link is you don't have to "check and set your timers".

Imagine if I had to "check and set my timers" every day for EVERY item in my series link !!! It would completely defeat the object of series link !!!

Maybe post in the Sky+ Forums, someone else might have encountered the same issue.

On the broadcasting issue I think it's fair for the final day of The Open to be on BBC One HD and i'm no golf fan.

I suspect more people will watch it than Songs of Praise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the idea of Series Link is you don't have to "check and set your timers".
    Alas, we are still in the primitive era of auto-recording. Don't believe the hype and check once a week and be aware of live sports event coverage which can and does cause last minute changes which can defeat even the cleverest recording device.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This means my SkyPlus doesn't record it, as it doesn't recognise the channel change. And also means that I don't get to see it in HD. This is so annoying.

• Options
    Forum Member
    StevenNT wrote: »
    and I'm going to assume they are at home now so could watch it anyway if not there is BBC iPlayer. I don't think Songs of Praise is in HD anyway, if it was it would be on BBC HD.

It is in HD, and it is on BBC One HD only not BBC HD
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the Sky+ system can cope with channel changes on series link (Sky do it all the time). It's just the BBC doesn't use that function.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't why a series link can only be done if it is on the same channel? Sometimes a change of channel can happen at the last minute as well mainly due to sporting events. So i do think you have a good point.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this problem with Songs Of Praise too and have also noticed that when it does shift to BBC2 whether planned or not the series link has not been available to set, however, today;s programme did so I have used that in the hope that if it is on BBC2 in the next month or so this will catch it. Sorry, not much use telling you now the show has finished. I notice that EastEnders often moves between BBC1 and BBC2 even sometimes on the same day, don't know if this suffers in the same way but I'd guess it does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this problem with Songs Of Praise too and have also noticed that when it does shift to BBC2 whether planned or not the series link has not been available to set, however, today;s programme did so I have used that in the hope that if it is on BBC2 in the next month or so this will catch it. Sorry, not much use telling you now the show has finished. I notice that EastEnders often moves between BBC1 and BBC2 even sometimes on the same day, don't know if this suffers in the same way but I'd guess it does.

Partly the problem this week for HD viewers who have it series linked, is that there is no HD showing to series link to!!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,726
    Forum Member
    If only the OP had had a VM Tivo. He could have then made a Wishlist for the show which would have recorded it whichever channel it was shown on ;)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then stop relying on a piece of crap like the Sky-
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only the OP had had a VM Tivo. He could have then made a Wishlist for the show which would have recorded it whichever channel it was shown on ;)

So a Tivo will record the SD version if the HD one isn't shown at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Of course the Sky+ system can cope with channel changes on series link (Sky do it all the time). It's just the BBC doesn't use that function.

But the HD version didn't change channels, it wasn't shown at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »

Yes they do.
    However, a series link set up on the HD channels has a different series and programme identifier than the SD versions. If the OP had set a series link on the SD BBC One broadcast the change of channel would have been picked up. The fact the series link was set up on the HD channel, which then did not show the broadcast, meant the recorder had no alternative to pick up as it wasn't shown on any other HD channel. The BBC (and other broadcasters) cannot use the same identifiers on both the SD and HD channels as that would confuse a PVR and it would record both showings at the same time.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    It is in HD, and it is on BBC One HD only not BBC HD
    Then it's probably NOT HD. BBC One HD upscales if the programme isn't natively HD. The other BBC HD channel only shows true HD programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Then it's probably NOT HD. BBC One HD upscales if the programme isn't natively HD. The other BBC HD channel only shows true HD programmes.

Just to clarify, Songs of Praise in in HD. This week it was only shown in SD on BBC Two, but not on BBC HD as they were showing their normal children's programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    So a Tivo will record the SD version if the HD one isn't shown at all?
    It will record whichever version is shown first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is no good if you specifically wanted the HD version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is no good if you specifically wanted the HD version.

Doesn't the VM TiVo have a "First run & repeats" option for the season pass like the original one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So to clarify. A Tivo set up to record the HD version on BBC One HD, would automatically switch to the SD version on BBC Two and the week after go back to the HD version on BBC One HD?

Whereas Sky+ set to record the SD version on BBC One would have recorded the SD version on BBC Two and gone back to BBC One next week.

A Sky+HD would only record HD versions, as shown, and would have missed this week's as it wasn't broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Doesn't the VM TiVo have a "First run & repeats" option for the season pass like the original one?
    So would clutter up the hard drive with both SD and HD versions? Still not ideal as it is annoying to watch something in SD only to find it being shown a few days later in HD. As I said in another thread auto-recording is still very primitive and needs work from the viewer to keep on top of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Yes. But with a wishlist it records the first showing of whatever it records; be it SD or HD.
    derek500 wrote: »
    So to clarify. A Tivo set up to record the HD version on BBC One HD, would automatically switch to the SD version on BBC Two and the week after go back to the HD version on BBC One HD?
    With a Wishlist, yes. Series Links are channel-specific.
    So would clutter up the hard drive with both SD and HD versions
    No it wouldn't as it will (okay, should) only ever record one "version" of any given programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So would clutter up the hard drive with both SD and HD versions?
    As I said in another thread auto-recording is still very primitive and needs work from the viewer to keep on top of it.

What - deleting a recording every now and then? It's not much effort, and machines aren't sentient.... yet.