Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The biggest mistake was airing it back to back with Celebrity Big Brother. Think it'll regain momentum once it is back in its normal pattern of CBB January and BB Summer although if they want to avoid the Olympics, I would suggest they air it in May-July rather than June-September. I'd drop the name thingy and maybe have BOTS airing at 6.30pm Monday-Friday with a special BOTS airing after every eviction on Friday.

Agree with this.

BBOTS could run at 6.30 then do an after dark version at 11.

I was one of BB's biggest fans, but gave up during the normal run this year. They tweaked the format too much for me, it was when they allowed family memebers to nominate that I gave up.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    any guesses when The Borrowers will be on this Christmas?
    You know you're getting on a bit when you remember the last time the BBC did that (1992 by the looks of it).

Is it a one-off or a two parter? I'd guess Boxing Day or the Tuesday myself.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    You know you're getting on a bit when you remember the last time the BBC did that (1992 by the looks of it).

Is it a one-off or a two parter? I'd guess Boxing Day or the Tuesday myself.
    there was a CBBC series I recall watching. I believe its a one parter.

Digital Spy
    The BBC is considering making a full series based on The Borrowers.

A single film based on the classic children's novel, starring Christopher Eccleston and Robert Sheehan, will air on BBC One this Christmas.
    would not mind seeing a trailer.

i wouldnt mind a series, but I would like for it to take a different path than the CBBC series.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Agree with this.

BBOTS could run at 6.30 then do an after dark version at 11.

I was one of BB's biggest fans, but gave up during the normal run this year. They tweaked the format too much for me, it was when they allowed family memebers to nominate that I gave up.

Same here, they lost me halfway through the first night, it was obviously going to be for TOWIE fans. It's much more interesting when there's a mix of ages & types. So haven't watched any of it. I enjoy CBB because it is what it is, (Zcelebs trying to regenerate their careers) The ordinary BB totally lost the original concept. :(
    And I miss the tree/chest of drawers. :o
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we'll see the Big Brother final over 2m, probably near 2.5m.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    as I said look into Bronies, you are in for a major shock.

I should first of all fess up that I will still watch an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine if one is on, and would still watch The Sarah Jane Adventure if it hadn't had finished, but I wouldn't think to watch kids TV these days.

Aussie soaps, Neighbours stopped being cool when it moved to Channel 5 ;)

Sean the Sheep is brilliant for a good old fashioned laugh. I watch some of the kids shows with my grandchildren and enjoy having a good chuckle at the OOGLIES. :o :cool:
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    ITV1 will be satisified The Jury is not dropping and it should timeshift to the 5m mark.

Just finished watching all five in one evening!! Without the ads/next/previously/credits, just over three hours.

Was going to watch it over two nights, but so compelling we didn't want to stop.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I think we'll see the Big Brother final over 2m, probably near 2.5m.

In the RPG people have gone from 1.6m-2.4m, I can see it peaking at 2.7m - but as it was a 90 minute show on a Friday I am sticking with a 1.9m-2.0m average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It has been done before and I think it could work again. However, as you say this would still leave a gap in the schedule, but surely the time will come when IAC has to be replaced, possibly years if it continues its success, but if it starts to falter then ITV will have to find something else.
    How about this one, then, a revival of Hell's Kitchen, but with trainee chefs rather than celebs?

I was amazed to read about cost cutting on Hell's Kitchen in 2007/8. I am not sure about the ratings it got, will look in a minute but I would like to see it back on ITV1 with a decent group of celebs.

2004 - 7m-8m
    2005 - 4m-6m
    2007 - 4m-6m
    2009 - 3.5m-5.5m

On second thoughts I think it would struggle in 2012.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way HK can come back is if they can lure back Gordon Ramsay but he's still under contract with Channel 4.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,696
    Forum Member
    That was a terrible way for Big Brother to end, wasn't it? Cringeworthy. :o

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the result. Indeed Aaron's probably the most deserving winner in a long time, even with all his flaws. Him winning is a bit of a gamechanger for the show. And the shocks along the way such as Alex finishing third kept it interesting. But the crowd ruined it at the end and Brian couldn't get a handle on it unfortunately. It killed the atmosphere completely and so the whole series ended on a sour note.

Shame. I suspect the ratings will be pretty good though for this series standards, and it was nice to see the show trending No. 1 worldwide on Twitter for a time.

But the new number one issue to address for next series has got to be the crowd. I'd prefer a smaller 'higher quality' crowd than the morons they let in. I know it's not Question Time, but let's have some standards please. They were disgraceful this evening and made a mockery of the fact it's supposedly a popularity contest.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc what do you think, we saw happen?
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant result for BB. Best HM won, 2nd fave of the entire 11 year run.
    But shame on the crowd for booing.

It kind of means now that the crowd means NOTHING. As for ratings, i reckon around 2.1m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crowd has rarely reflected the views of the audience and along with the rushed final it's another issue which needed addressing which C5 simply haven't bothered with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The crowd has rarely reflected the views of the audience and along with the rushed final it's another issue which needed addressing which C5 simply haven't bothered with.

They cannot censor the crowd and ask them to reluctantly cheer a winner they don't agree with. They could have gone to a VT or a break and moved the interview into the house. I doubt it will affect ratings too much. I am expecting it to rate 1.9m-2.1m for the main show average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The talk about the ratings for Life's Too Short is deafening - 2.53m by the looks of it. How does that compare to the premieres of Ricky Gervais' previously over-hyped efforts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The talk about the ratings for Life's Too Short is deafening - 2.53m by the looks of it. How does that compare to the premieres of Ricky Gervais' previously over-hyped efforts?

It will timeshift well over 3m - I did a poll on the show thread and most people liked it. it is not mainstream comedy like Miranda, they will be happy with the ratings.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's lower than Extras which did 4.6m but Gervais was coming off the success of The Office winning the Golden Globes, I like Gervais but Life's Too Short is a bit self indulgence and I think a more traditional sitcom would be better for him and Stephen Merchant, he's done a few films and guest appearances which haven't been great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    It's lower than Extras which did 4.6m but Gervais was coming off the success of The Office winning the Golden Globes, I like Gervais but Life's Too Short is a bit self indulgence and I think a more traditional sitcom would be better for him and Stephen Merchant, he's done a few films and guest appearances which haven't been great.

Let us wait for the timeshift a week on Monday - it is #3 on iPlayer. Gervais & Merchant love awkward comedy, they cannot be mainstream - it would not work at all. if it gets close to 3.5m in the officials that would be great, I can see it growing week on week.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,484
    Forum Member
    Just to update with the US figures from Thursday Night:

Thursday 10th November 2011

FOX
    8.00 The X Factor - 3.3 (10.13m)
    9.00 Bones - 2.6 (8.64m)

CBS
    8.00 The Big Bang Theory - 5.3 (15.89m)
    8.30 Rules of Engagement - 3.5 (11.57m)
    9.00 Person of Interest (Rpt) - 2.0 (9.11m)
    10.0 The Mentalist (Rpt) - 1.9 (10.08m)

ABC
    8.00 Charlie's Angels - 1.1 (5.10m)
    9.00 Grey's Anatomy - 4.1 (11.29m)
    10.0 Private Practice - 2.8 (7.51m)

NBC
    8.00 Community - 1.5 (3.49m)
    8.30 Parks and Recreation - 1.8 (3.66m)
    9.00 The Office - 3.0 (5.96m)
    9.30 Whitney - 2.1 (4.28m)
    10.0 Prime Suspect - 1.3 (4.86m)

CW
    8.00 The Vampire Diaries - 1.4 (3.17m)
    9.00 The Secret Circle - 0.8 (2.17m)

Though Fox still won the night (thanks to CBS drama repeats) those are not pretty figures for them. The X Factor isn't showing any signs of gaining momentum in the live stages, losing 0.4 week-on-week. Things were worse for Bones which frankly crashed by 0.7 from last weeks good-looking premiere. That's got to be a bit concerning.

The main beneficiary was Grey's Anatomy. A combination of a CBS repeat and the Bones decline seemed to help it up all the way to a 4.1. I was wondering whether it'd ever see a 4 again, actually, so thats pretty good. Looks like Private Practice caught a bit of that upward draft too.

Another strong performance by The Big Bang Theory at 8. And though it's helped by that inheritance Rules of Engagement looks very impressive too. Continue the whole season in that vein and it's making itself extremely difficult to CBS to cancel. Less good for the NBC comedies, which were all down by several tenths, with the exception of Whitney. The Office really should be heading for humble retirement soon - but it can't. How sad it's still far and away NBC's scripted flagship.

I think that last night had some Thursday Night Football being played - which might go some way to explaining why so many shows were down and why the girly ABC line-up was the big winner.

Those are all final numbers: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/11/thursday-final-ratings-big-bang-theory-greys-prime-suspect-adjusted-up-bones-rules-private-practice-adjusted-down/110412/

All the weekly ups and downs are noted in the post about the preliminaries: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/11/tv-ratings-thursday-x-factor-bones-fall-far-ish-greys-up-big-bang-theory-tops-night/110370/
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the result. Indeed Aaron's probably the most deserving winner in a long time, even with all his flaws. Him winning is a bit of a gamechanger for the show. And the shocks along the way such as Alex finishing third kept it interesting. But the crowd ruined it at the end and Brian couldn't get a handle on it unfortunately. It killed the atmosphere completely and so the whole series ended on a sour note.

Shame. I suspect the ratings will be pretty good though for this series standards, and it was nice to see the show trending No. 1 worldwide on Twitter for a time.

But the new number one issue to address for next series has got to be the crowd. I'd prefer a smaller 'higher quality' crowd than the morons they let in. I know it's not Question Time, but let's have some standards please. They were disgraceful this evening and made a mockery of the fact it's supposedly a popularity contest.

What happened on the show?? How could you get a high quality audience, not being disrespectful, but given the audience numbers, what are you looking for?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »

Not surprised to see them live up to my low expectations from the beginning of the series expressed in here. I stand by my opinion of back then ;) Lowest form of TV entertainment gets the fans and followers it aims for, shock and horror.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,696
    Forum Member
    The Big Brother 2011 Live Final peaked at 2.33m (10.9%).

Average was 2.05m.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice little boost for the final to get the average above 2m.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    I watched the final despite not watching since the first week and what kept me watching was the fact that Aaron kept being booed then kept getting through so I was intrigued to see what would happen if he won, and it was certainly bizarre! Interesting TV though.
This discussion has been closed.