Options

Movies to watch before Avengers?

scott26985scott26985 Posts: 1,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Finally seeing The Avengers on sat. What movies do I need to watch before then so I’ve got the whole story!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a friend of mine said Captain America & Thor
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,107
    Forum Member
    soundstory wrote: »
    a friend of mine said Captain America & Thor

Plus Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Plus Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk

I actually think you can leave out The Incredible Hulk now. I no longer class it as part of The Avengers canon due to how much better Mark Ruffalo's version was compared to Ed Norton's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_me wrote: »
    I actually think you can leave out The Incredible Hulk now. I no longer class it as part of The Avengers canon due to how much better Mark Ruffalo's version was compared to Ed Norton's.

what about Eric Bana ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    what about Eric Bana ??

Same applies. Bana's version is too depressing to fit in with the current Avengers series.
  • Options
    scott26985scott26985 Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do the 2 hunk movies link in with the Avengers?

Ive heard Captain America, Thor and Iron man 2 have a crossover of sorts to link them together
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott26985 wrote: »
    do the 2 hunk movies link in with the Avengers?

Ive heard Captain America, Thor and Iron man 2 have a crossover of sorts to link them together

Thor and Captain America practically set up the story for Avengers.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ang Lee's Hulk (2003) is not part of the same continuity, and as such should be ignored (plus it's crap).

The "Marvel Cinematic Universe" (MCU) currently consists of these films *only*:

- Iron Man (2008)

- The Incredible Hulk (2008)

- Iron Man 2 (2010)

- Thor (2011)

- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

- The Avengers (2012)

Character cross-overs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe#Recurring_cast_and_characters

The film that's probably most important to see before The Avengers is Thor, because it contains Thor's character development and especially because it sets up Loki (the villain in The Avengers). It also sets up Dr Selvig, a character who plays a role in The Avengers.

Next most important would be Captain America.

Both of these also feature the Tesseract, the alien device that plays a major part in The Avengers.

Iron Man 1 & 2 are both great, and I think Iron Man 1 is the best MCU film after The Avengers, but... you don't really need to have seen them beforehand, as pretty much everything you really need to know about Stark / Iron Man is covered in The Avengers.

The Incredible Hulk is pretty good, and much better than the unrelated 2003 film, but... again, you don't really need it. Everyone knows who the Hulk is, and the film wasn't a full-on origin story anyway. It helps, but you don't need it.

If you have time, I'd say watch all of them, in order of release.

If not, then watch Thor followed by Captain America... Or at least watch Thor.
  • Options
    NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might also want to watch Iron Man 2 as Black Widow is a character in it.
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may as well watch them all. If there was one to miss, it would be The Incredible Hulk, as it's the weakest, and has the least ties to The Avengers, but I'd say the Iron Man double, and Thor, and Captain America are essential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Avoid 'Hulk' (2003) at all costs, it's absolutely dire.

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America are probably the big ones to watch, but i'd say give The Incredible Hulk (2008) a watch too, it's enjoyable enough, although Ed Norton, while good, isn't anywhere near as good as Mark Ruffalo.