Options

Sky + in Apartments

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Typical. You spend 4 pages insisting something is impossible and then a second one appears!;)

Well I had a look and this is the only abuse I could find:

had andybell explained that skyscr protocols are used that would have been fine. but he obviously doesnt know what they are. I made the point several times and in the end explicitly because he clearly didinot understand it.

the necessary info is not given by johannson. it is by teldis. who have the identical gadget.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    ok then ........

1. andybell obviously works for das and said so and is promoting this particular gadget. as "the solution" to single cable sky+

2.skyscr is obsolete and defunct. using it requres getting an older type receiver. as far as i know the latest digiboxes do not have a skyscr. option. particular problem for anyone considering hd.

3. it seems this new device works by using sky protocols. normally sky would take legal action but since the standard is abandoned i assume theyre not bothered.

4. note only 1 device per single cable sky box. at £400 (plus vat ?) plus power supply each thats going to be expensive. also it assumes a 5 wire cascade system which may not be avaliable.

5. it is not unique. teldis have a similar gadget which looks different but seems functionally identical.

6. this is not really suitable for uk multiswitch systems. very few end users will have either a skyscr caplable obsolete receiver or standard scr otherwise.

7. for the occasional sky+ its cheaper to either use a stacker (which also works for freesat) or even the golbal adaptor which is also cheaper.

8. scr and unicable are the same thing. contrary to what johannson think. its skyscr thats different. i have repeatedly made this clear.

1. Correct
    2. Incorrect
    3. Incorrect
    4. Incorrect - Switch retails at £400 and has 8 legs so £50 per apartment.
    5. Correct but certainly not identical, for example there is no LED on theirs to ascertain type of set top box connected.
    6. Incorrect. Every type of receiver in the UK is compatible as every Satellite receiver in the UK works in either / or SCR/ Legacy or EN50494 mode. So every box is compatible
    7. Incorrect. Stacker / De Stacker are hit and miss as cable distances need to be short and also routed with large bend radius's due to the high frequency it stacks at.
    8. Incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the johannson marketing guy thinks unicable and scr are different systems. not good.

since most freesat cant use scr a standard mutliswitch system is the preferred option, and a stacker would be better for one off solutions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Correct
    2. Incorrect
    3. Incorrect
    4. Incorrect - Switch retails at £400 and has 8 legs so £50 per apartment.
    5. Correct but certainly not identical, for example there is no LED on theirs to ascertain type of set top box connected.
    6. Incorrect. Every type of receiver in the UK is compatible as every Satellite receiver in the UK works in either / or SCR/ Legacy or EN50494 mode. So every box is compatible
    7. Incorrect. Stacker / De Stacker are hit and miss as cable distances need to be short and also routed with large bend radius's due to the high frequency it stacks at.
    8. Incorrect.

where you do not undderstand the technology and give ambiguous information obviously i will draw the wrong conclusions.

why not just make the specs quite clear as teldis have done ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    both winston and graham thompson have said that the newest sky boxes do not have an scr option. this is also my understanding although i havent checked.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2.skyscr is obsolete and defunct. using it requres getting an older type receiver. as far as i know the latest digiboxes do not have a skyscr. option. particular problem for anyone considering hd.

3. it seems this new device works by using sky protocols. normally sky would take legal action but since the standard is abandoned i assume theyre not bothered.
    Now I'm puzzled. Are you saying these new systems (Johansson or Teldis) will only works with OLD sky+ boxes? Or are these 'Sky protocols' not the 'skyscr' protocols?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 are correct.

the rest i got wrong because the spec sheet is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I'm puzzled. Are you saying these new systems (Johansson or Teldis) will only works with OLD sky+ boxes? Or are these 'Sky rotocols' not the 'skyscr' protocols?

sat cr and unicable are the same system.

skyscr is a different system using proprietary protocols.

if the latest sky boxes support skyscr its news to me. and others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thank you Spinney for doubting my technical knowledge...

1) But as you obivously don't know is that Unicable (ST Semicondictors) has a different Chipset with 4 MULTIBAND FREQUENCIES, there were SCR has 3 MULTIBAND FREQUENCIES and is SKY COMPATIBLE through the SKY protocol.

2) Stacker/destacker: BANDSTACKING instead of channel stacking where you need more bandwidth and cost/point is higher.

3) Freesat STB's with EN50494 are available... This is a known standard. We use LEMON receivers which are compatible with that standard.

4) I insist that you come over to the DAS showroom where we can show you the system working instead of sending endless numbers of messages on this forum!

Kind regards,

Kenneth Roman
    Sales Manager
    Johansson/Unitron Belgium
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both winston and graham thompson have said that the newest sky boxes do not have an scr option. this is also my understanding although i havent checked.

I said afaik they don't. Of the posters that have replied that actually have the box the HD boxes appear to have the option.

Unlike yourself I am more than prepared to acknowledge others with more knowledge. The only Sky box I have is an ancient Grundig SD box (usefull for dish alignment).

The situation appears variable with Sky+ boxes and is covered in Andys reply.

Do you still think ac3 5.1 doesn't carry 6 discrete audio channels :eek: I even posted a dvd image that proved it did. You still insisted it did not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    if the latest sky boxes support skyscr its news to me. and others.
    Just out of curiosity, i've just accessed the engineers menu on my 3y/o Thompson Sky HD+ box...

and in the 'SETUP' menu, under 'LNB Type' is an option to use SCR BAND and also to change Channel 1 & 2 from the default of 14 & 17 respectively...

just my 2pennyworth .... lol

Spiny2, If you actually read the WHOLE thread and NOT just the parts you want to, you will find I have already answered that particular question... OK, my STB isn't brand new, but the option is there !

A quick google search on " scr sky switch ", I have found the following, all on the 1st page, (as well as this particular thread) :

http://www.dastechnology.co.uk/shop/single-cable-router/Johansson-8-Way-SCR-Switch.php

http://new-channels.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=9

http://www.blakeglow.com/downloads/SCR%20instructions%20twin%20feed%20pdf%20ver%202.pdf

http://www.hypex.co.uk/files/pdf/16819/SCr.pdf

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/propertymanagers/documents/What_Satellite_Pro_Tips_January_2011.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    As i did say, it was a quick search... lol :)
    Think next time, i'll read what i've found :rolleyes: lol :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Just read through this thread with intrest.
    Its a bit technical but was curious about the LNB options on sky box.

I have a DRX895 running beta software and have 2 setup options for LNB setup.

There is the "standard option"
    and
    "SCR Band" option with the following:-
    Channel 1 = 14 (0-30)
    Channel 2 = 17 (0-30)

Its also showing on my DRX890 which is not included in beta trial.

Just thought I would mention this as it was suggested that this option had been discontinued by Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As promised we have done testing with the Foxsat HDR receiver. Unfortunately this particular receiver is not SCR enabled however we have spoke with Humax who confirmed later this year their range will have SCR in their receivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As promised we have done testing with the Foxsat HDR receiver. Unfortunately this particular receiver is not SCR enabled however we have spoke with Humax who confirmed later this year their range will have SCR in their receivers.

A bit confused.

Quotes from the manual

Spec

Diseqc control Version 1.0, 1.2, USALS, SCD (Single cable distribution)

Text

When using a SCD antenna or SMATV please connect the cable to LNB 1 in.

Looking at the Single Cable Distribution Wiki states

A European industry standard for distributing satellite signals over a single coaxial cable - CENELEC EN50494 - has been developed by a consortium led by SES

Is that a non compatible system ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have a look at the following link for pictures of Sky working http://imgur.com/a/FffC0#0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That just rang a very faint bell grahamlthompson. Do you remember this?: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=940149&highlight=unicable

Post #21
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That just rang a very faint bell grahamlthompson. Do you remember this?: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=940149&highlight=unicable

Post #21

I remember it well, REPASSAC has bought a scr lnb for his new place in France and knows about this thread. Interesting to see how he gets on.

EDIT

Dredged this up as well :confused:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28617196&postcount=2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit confused.

Quotes from the manual

Spec

Diseqc control Version 1.0, 1.2, USALS, SCD (Single cable distribution)

Text

When using a SCD antenna or SMATV please connect the cable to LNB 1 in.

Looking at the Single Cable Distribution Wiki states

A European industry standard for distributing satellite signals over a single coaxial cable - CENELEC EN50494 - has been developed by a consortium led by SES

Is that a non compatible system ?

Great news guys we have tested the Foxsat again and have discovered where the SCR mode is. Below is some pictures of it working and here is the set up sequence.

http://imgur.com/a/zrQnG#3

1. Run the initial set up with postcode in standard mode
    2. Connect the IF Loop - LNB 1 out to LNB 2 in
    3. Go to set up menu
    4. Enter hidden menu
    5. Go to Antennae and select SCD
    6. Change Band 1 to 1280mhz and 1382mhz
    7. Do full channel scan and save results
    8. Go to set up menu and complete Freesat tune
    9. Save results and you are good to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news guys we have tested the Foxsat again and have discovered where the SCR mode is. Below is some pictures of it working and here is the set up sequence.

3. Go to set up menu
    4. Enter hidden menu

Excellent news :D, Your post bookmarked to help others. Thanks very much. Perhaps you ought to e-mail Humax :D
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3. Go to set up menu
    4. Enter hidden menu

Excellent - re:6 Do I understand correctly that if you have 2 foxsats the second would need to be set to different frequencies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Excellent - re:6 Do I understand correctly that if you have 2 foxsats the second would need to be set to different frequencies?

No this is using 1 Foxsat HDR and the instructions are for setting the receiver into SCR mode so it will work as a PVR with only 1 cable from the multiswitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread is a stupid ill conceived advertising stunt gone wrong. ive stayed off it a few days. andybell's posts are misleading rubbish.

1. the satcr system was introduced by ses for european medium sized smatv systems. where 1 trunk cable is much better than 17 on a 4 sat system! and single drop cables too.

sat channel spacing is approx 30 mhz. allowing maybe 32 re-channelised feeds in the 1-2 ghz sat if band down a single cable. although i think the system limit is 24.

2. skyscr uses the same principle but is incompatible. i have no idea if the 4 fixed frequencies used correspond to ses ones but it doesnt matter.

3. skyscr became defunct. there was no official announcement but it was not included in the latest receivers software. if sky now want to re-introduce it then just a "temporary" download in the latest software updates is not enough. proper support will have to become official policy. but there have been no official announcements about this. so at any future time sky could just miss out the scr option again .....

since head of marketing johannson is in a priviledged position here, perhaps he can tell us what the official policy actually is? that would be very helpful! especially to uk smatv installers. the audience he obviously wishes to reach!

4. since the new type multswitch is not properly described:

there's a standard 5 wire input for 1 sat and terr tv. it can go on the end of an existing multiswitch cascade. or just be installed alone with quattro lnb and aerial. theres no internal power supply. default mode power is via connected sat receivers.

each of the 8 output ports can work in either:

standard mode with 13/18v and 22 khz signaling.

or satcr mode with as many channels as a connected receiver will support.

or skyscr mode using 3 of the 4 fixed frequencies.

...... which is what should have been posted originally !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... if dastv and johansson wish to "spread the word", I assume they've also posted in satellites co uk and avforums? a bit less clumsily ......