Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 35)

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes ok we can get some dating out of Ted meeting the kids mother, since that is how it tends to work with the show, Ted dates a girl, and people speculate if she is the mother or not, but there comes a point, where the truth will come out, and I dont see what else is gained by carrying on after that.

and yeah certainly some logic in taking RoE to 100 episodes, for all involved.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenge will start on E4, May 28th at 9pm, they started promoting it last week so must have high hopes for it. How do people think it will do? I know it launched well in Australia.
    It gets the Glee slot then, but with just a week and a half to go they probably need to push it a bit more, and then it's got Euro 2012 then the Olympics to fight off. Week 3 will be against an England game for example.

Although E4 is now in as desperate need of imports as C4 is I'd have liked to have seen this given a chance on C4 as it's been a long time since they launched any soap-style US drama on the main network (probably Desperate Housewives was the last) and given OFCOM's concern about C4 not attracting enough younger viewers this sort of show would do the job.

P.S. I see Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 begins next Thursday at 9.30pm on E4, replacing Happy Endings. E4 now definately have enough US comedy to establish a second comedy night - or lend one or two to C4 to rebuild the Friday night schedule around.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    So is The Job the same show as The Intern which is due to air on C4?

I doubt it'll happen but with CBS struggling for slots for new content I'd have been tempted to cut both Survivor and The Amazing Race back to one cycle a year, sticking them in either the Sunday or Wednesday slot, freeing up the other one for drama or comedy.
    The Job does indeed sound a lot like The Intern. No idea if they are in fact the same show or not in terms of format owners.

Personally I think CBS is probably preparing for the end of Survivor in the not too distant future.
    Charnham wrote: »
    yes ok we can get some dating out of Ted meeting the kids mother, since that is how it tends to work with the show, Ted dates a girl, and people speculate if she is the mother or not, but there comes a point, where the truth will come out, and I dont see what else is gained by carrying on after that.
    Because you've spent x number of years building up to him meeting this woman. I'd assume there'd be some interest in seeing how their relationship actually develops. I would guess the best finale the series can have is either the wedding or the birth of the first child. Both of those potentially give you another couple of years.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    P.S. I see Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 begins next Thursday at 9.30pm on E4, replacing Happy Endings. E4 now definately have enough US comedy to establish a second comedy night - or lend one or two to C4 to rebuild the Friday night schedule around.
    Or they could buy some new US comedies in for Channel 4 this year and maybe commission one or two more UK comedies to rotate in and out of the line-up.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    The Amazing Race will probably hold up well enough but I suspect The Good Wife and The Mentalist are going to see declines. Its worth remembering that CSI: Miami had a much bigger audience than The Mentalist when it moved to this Sunday 10PM and it dropped like a stone. The Good Wife continues to find it impossible to find an audience to go along with its critical acclaim and Emmy's. I imagine that problem will get worse when ABC ramps up promotion for their Sunday night line-up. Having said all that I have no other solutions for what CBS could do on Sunday that would get better results so...

If it is the final season of How I Met Your Mother (and I'd be surprised if it is) then CBS will announce it at the up fronts. I'm still not sure why him meeting the mother would be the end of the series though. Surely they can get another couple of years out of them dating and then eventually getting married and probably even push the story right up to the birth of the first kid if they wanted to. People put far too much stock on the idea that once he meets the mother the show is over.

On the subject of Rules the hold up isn't just on CBS' end. There's issue with cast deals and how much Sony want for it. I'd be amazed though if it doesn't get another short order to bump it up to 100 episodes especially since CBS own the international syndication rights.

I think The Mentalist should have been at 9pm rather than 10pm, it will drop but I think its safe for another season or two, it hits 100 episodes next season and I imagine WB will cut a deal with CBS to keep it for another 44 episodes so it can get to 150.

As for Mother, I think the identity of the mother should how they wrap the show, ending with a wedding or the birth of Teds first child.

As for Rules, Sony pratically gave away Til Death for it to hit 81 episodes so its possible they'll cut a similar deal with CBS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because you've spent x number of years building up to him meeting this woman. I'd assume there'd be some interest in seeing how their relationship actually develops. I would guess the best finale the series can have is either the wedding or the birth of the first child. Both of those potentially give you another couple of years.
    but as I said at the start of most of Teds relationships you dont know if the girl is the mother or not, so there is going to be a season build up of their relationship and then the reveal, so we will have already seen Ted and the Mothers relationship develop at that point.

That or some huge fake out is coming, and its a woman we already know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    but as I said at the start of most of Teds relationships you dont know if the girl is the mother or not, so there is going to be a season build up of their relationship and then the reveal, so we will have already seen Ted and the Mothers relationship develop at that point.

That or some huge fake out is coming, and its a woman we already know.

Barney's Mum??
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,500
    Forum Member
    Really good start for Silk, taking advantage of lacklustre opposition to post it's best figures. It would be a real boost for the BBC's weeknight drama slate if it were able to keep up that forward momentum and be another title pushing past 6m officials for them. (The officials average for last year was 5.85m).

I would also what iandb said earlier about Holby. I've not studied the numbers, but it does seem a couple of hundred thousand and a few percentage points off where I'd expect. Has been all year. Won't be helped by a relatively weak EE, I suppose, but it's clearly not having a vintage year in itself.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Don't really see them axing CBBC on BBC One a good thing. Would prefer them catering for all ages and viewers instead of another 2 hours of Escape to the Country, which it probably will be.

I'm not sorry to see the back of the post-school block, which as the figures attest, is just an anachronism these days. And of course kids are way, way ahead of every other demographic when it comes to digital and moving beyond the terrestrial 5, so it doesn't seem like ratings for the dedicated children's stuff is really going to decline.

However, I would like to see CBBC representation on BBC One maintained through a few more selected highlights - their biggest commissions and more one-offs like Lost Christmas - promoted and aired on BBC One, for instance on Saturday teatimes. Stuff with genuine crossover, family appeal that ensures kids TV doesn't become cordoned off. It'd be far fewer hours, but would have far greater impact than the unwatched post-school block of repeats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Barney's Mum??
    that wouldnt be creepy ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I'm not sorry to see the back of the post-school block, which as the figures attest, is just an anachronism these days. And of course kids are way, way ahead of every other demographic when it comes to digital and moving beyond the terrestrial 5, so it doesn't seem like ratings for the dedicated children's stuff is really going to decline.

However, I would like to see CBBC representation on BBC One maintained through a few more selected highlights - their biggest commissions and more one-offs like Lost Christmas - promoted and aired on BBC One, for instance on Saturday teatimes. Stuff with genuine crossover, family appeal that ensures kids TV doesn't become cordoned off. It'd be far fewer hours, but would have far greater impact than the unwatched post-school block of repeats.
    I agree - I think even the US networks generally still spare a couple of hours for kids shows at the weekend, so I do think flagship stuff of a similar quality/crossover appeal as The Sarah Jane Adventures should get a Sunday afternoon outing on BBC1 and some kind of weekend block on either Saturday or Sunday morning on BBC2 - though ideally I think the Saturday morning shows need to be restored to BBC1. They're not really kids shows - they're family entertainment, and possibly the only type of show where being on BBC1 would bring in a bigger audience than being on CBBC. BBC2 now has plenty of time to take Saturday Kitchen back.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would certainly make sense. I would imagine that some of the more expensive commissions (Russel T Davis' awful sounding Wizards and Aliens or Wizards vs. Aliens or whatever it is for example) seems like it might need an airing of some form on BBC1 to justify the expense. The early Sunday evening slot seems like it might be the perfect kind of slot for some of this stuff as well.

Personally I'd be fine with the BBC migrating all of the children's content to the digital platform if I didn't have a nagging fear that by doing that they're just hiding how bad it all is and and making it almost impossible to tell whether they're actually maintaining any kind of serious investment of interest in it. I don't really have the time or inclination to watch CBBC for example. And as I've said before children's television is massively neglected and I still don't quite understand why given what a great resource it is for finding future prime time talent. The list of on screen and off screen major UK talent that got their first real breaks in kids television is pretty impressive.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would certainly make sense. I would imagine that some of the more expensive commissions (Russel T Davis' awful sounding Wizards and Aliens or Wizards vs. Aliens or whatever it is for example) seems like it might need an airing of some form on BBC1 to justify the expense. The early Sunday evening slot seems like it might be the perfect kind of slot for some of this stuff as well.

Personally I'd be fine with the BBC migrating all of the children's content to the digital platform if I didn't have a nagging fear that by doing that they're just hiding how bad it all is and and making it almost impossible to tell whether they're actually maintaining any kind of serious investment of interest in it. I don't really have the time or inclination to watch CBBC for example. And as I've said before children's television is massively neglected and I still don't quite understand why given what a great resource it is for finding future prime time talent. The list of on screen and off screen major UK talent that got their first real breaks in kids television is pretty impressive.

I can't see where the next generation of talent is coming from presenting wise now children's television is being shoved out of the limelight. At this rate Ant and Dec will still be prime targets for shows in their 80s.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I see it is now confirmed that children's TV on BBC1 is to end from October - exclusively on CBBC/CBeebies from then.

Excellent news - and should have a positive effect on BBC1's overall viewing share.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18083178
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Well yes it will, but will they fill the slot with something new or just the usual Daytime filler that already airs on BBC2 at the same time. More repeats of Cash in the Attic etc?

What they will fill many hours of BBC2 every morning will be a question as well.

Well BBC1 is to be the sole home for all general daytime programming, so yes there will be a fair bit of factual entertainment transferred over from BBC2, including some repeats, but I think people expect them in daytime (especially as it's summer ;)), as long as there is a good amount of fresh content.

As for BBC2, I suppose they will have to implement their big change to BBC2 daytime at the same time, which is to show factual repeats, both recent and from the archive. I think that could work well: there is a wealth of material they can mine. They do need to schedule well and (IMO) group the programmes into themed zones so viewers know what to expect at certain times of the day.

I've had a go at producing draft BBC1 and BBC2 schedules for post-October 24th below, based on today's line-up and searching the BBC programmes website/my memory for daytime-suitable factual repeats for BBC2. In spoiler tags to save space:

BBC1
    06.00 Breakfast (HD)
    09.15 Heir Hunters (R)
    10.00 Homes under the Hammer (HD)
    [No mid-morning news summaries as they are being axed]
    11.00 Robbed, Raided, Reunited (HD)
    11.30 Cash in the Attic
    12.15 Bargain Hunt (R) (HD)
    13.00 BBC News; Weather; Regional News
    13.45 Doctors (HD)
    14.15 Escape to the Country (HD)
    [No 15.00 news summary as it is being axed]
    15.00 Wanted Down Under (R) [from BBC2]
    15.45 Hairy Bikers’ Best of British (R) [from BBC2]
    16.30 Flog It! (R) [from BBC2]
    17.15 Pointless (HD)
    18.00 BBC News
    OK there are quite a few repeats there!

BBC2
    06.00 The Travel Zone: Pole to Pole (R)
    06.50 Coast (R) [had to be there somewhere!]
    07.00 Whicker’s World (R) [perhaps the last few 1980s series which were BBC]
    07.50 Coast (R) [I now realise the usefulness of this filler!]
    08.00 Amazon with Bruce Parry (R) (HD)
    09.00 Indian Ocean with Simon Reeve (R) (HD)
    10.00 The History Zone: Who Do You Think You Are? (R) (HD) [picks up genealogy enthusiasts from Heir Hunters who don’t fancy Robbed, Raided, Reunited]
    11.00 The First World War from Above (R)
    11.30 The News & Current Affairs Zone: BBC World News
    12.00 Daily Politics
    13.00 The Sci/Tech Zone: Horizon (R) (HD) [would have to be fairly recent due to the subject-matter]
    14.00 Wonders of the Universe (R) (HD)
    15.00 Click (R) (HD) [same-week repeat from BBC News Channel - do they make it in HD I wonder?)
    15.30 Bang Goes the Theory (R) (HD) [from BBC1]
    16.00 The Culture Zone: The Review Show (R) [narrative repeat of the Friday show]
    16.30 The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse (R)
    18.00 Eggheads (HD) (as now)

There would of course be live sport interrupting these schedules fairly often.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    What numbers did The Walking Dead get on Channel 5? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    patrick95 wrote: »
    What numbers did The Walking Dead get on Channel 5? :)

Monday 14 May 2012
    22:00- The Walking Dead: 906k (5.6%), +1: 77k
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Further to my fantasy schedules, I should add that the BBC are supposed to be 'freshening up' BBC1 daytime as part of Delivering Quality First, so there will be some respite (at times) from wall-to-wall collectibles-hunting and the like. The recent re-reruns of Only Fools and the smattering of new UK-originated dramas were early signs of this.

What other sitcom/drama repeats do you think would work well in daytime? I for one would like to see that other Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom, Goodnight Sweetheart, given another spin. That's 68 episodes so that could fill a few weeks in a late-afternoon slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 is going to struggle I suspect, especially in the mornings. C4 has had similar issues since it axed the schools programmes but basically has to replace them on a budget of £3.50. Indeed by moving all daytime shows to BBC1 the argument is there now to merge BBC2 & BBC4 and just air BBC2 from 7pm, with CBeebies timesharing as it does now with BBC4 - as apart from sport at the weekend and during events like Wimbledon they don't have much to loose during the day.

BBC1 can and indeed does accomodate most Sunday afternoon sport now, with anything else able to go on the red button (and merging BBC2/4 would free up an extra stream for Freeview), while the Daily Politics I guess would go to BBC News - not ideal, but I suspect it's viewers would follow it. Actually would be interesting to know the ratings for PMQs on Wednesdays across BBC2, BBC News, BBC Parliament and Sky News.

And back on to ratings, an interesting article about the top nine rating axed shows in the US (why they didn't stretch to 10 I don't know!):
    http://www.tvrage.com/news/1003/the-9-highest-rated-shows-that-were-still-canceled
    Most of them seem to be a victim of CBS's success - and I guess that's an interesting dilemma for producers selling pilots. On the one hand get picked up by CBS and you've got a better chance of decent ratings due to their overall performance - but on the other you have to perform much better than say on NBC to get picked up for a full season and beyond.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do Chase ratings always include +1, when other ratings don't?
    I don't know about "horsepower" for Martin Clunes, it looks a bit of a donkey in ratings terms! :D That's an utterly appalling rating! :eek:
    :D
    fugitive wrote: »
    i find it incredible that piss slits, boobs and bollocks are classed as mainstream prime time viewing these days

20:00- Embarrassing Bodies: 2.04m (9.3%) , +1: 332k (1.4%)

What happened to Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies and Russ Abbott?
    Good point, but I'm not convinced Ronnie and Russ will appreciate your association of ideas. ;)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Good move from the BBC moving EastEnders to the 9:00pm slot on the 1st. I think i'd rather that then it being moved to another night.

EastEnders is due to air Wednesday 6th of June also:)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect BBC Two will be dusting off the Wildlife on One back catalogue for daytime. I think they made over 200 editions, so they'd fill one Mon - Fri slot all year round. Once they finished, they could go back to the beginning.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched the CBS previews, Elementary looks okay if a similar to The Mentalist but Vegas looks very cool, it has the feel of a Western despite being set in the 60s, whether it can work over 22 episodes remains to be seen but hopefully it can succeed on CBS.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do Chase ratings always include +1, when other ratings don't? :D

and why are Pointless ratings never reported anymore? Another case of Hodges Hiding Syndrome perhaps?
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 12,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, I would like to see CBBC representation on BBC One maintained through a few more selected highlights - their biggest commissions and more one-offs like Lost Christmas - promoted and aired on BBC One, for instance on Saturday teatimes.

Well, they do that already, Helen Skelton's South Pole adventure had a CBBC-produced show at 8.30 on a Friday, Horrible Histories has been repeated on Sunday teatime (and you only have to look at the cast list of that to realise that there's certainly no downgrading in the standard and appeal of kids TV) and they were even repeating Deadly 60 opposite Corrie last year. And no doubt there'll be prestige dramas that will get a Sunday teatime outing.

While everyone's wringing their hands over this, during the Golden Age of the Beeb in the sixties, they closed down the kids department competely because they argued kids would always be watching with a family so they didn't need a specific department (and also because the Managing Director hated the Head of Children's Programmes) So kids' dramas were made by the adult drama department (and there were loads of complaints that the first one they did was too scary), entertainment shows were made by the entertainment department and whatever was left - basically Play School, Jackanory and Blue Peter - was made on tiny budgets by the so-called "family department" which was a subset of women's programmes. That carried on for about four years before they realised it was a crap idea and brought back a proper kids' department.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 has secured the exclusive UK rights to JJ Abrams crime thriller Person of Interest.

The deal with Warner Bros International Television Distribution will see the 22 x 45-minute drama launch on C5 in July.

The show was created by Jonathan Nolan, who worked with brother and director Christopher Nolan on The Dark Knight and Memento, and its screenplay was developed with Abrams.

Abrams is best known as the creative force behind TV dramas such as Alias, Lost and Fringe as well as the director of films such as Star Trek and Mission: Impossible 3.

The series centres on ex-CIA agent John Reese, played by Jim Caviezel, who is recruited by mysterious billionaire Harold Finch (Lost’s Michael Emerson) to help prevent violent crimes in New York.

Nolan and Abrams are exec producers on the series alongside Greg Plageman and Bryan Burk. The drama is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros Television.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/international/c5-acquires-jj-abrams-thriller-person-of-interest/5041966.article?referrer=RSS
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake_Kanter
    WEDNESDAY ratings: A new series of Lewis arrested 5.2m (22.7%), but was comfortably beaten by The Apprentice, which secured 6.09m (25.2%).
    9:36 AM - 17 May 12
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing start for Lewis. It's been heavily advertised so it should have done better. That isn't much higher than Sunday's repeat, although +1 will have taken it to c5.5m I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.