Challenge & PickTV FTA

Comments

• ravedadaveravedadave Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    Is this just for DVB-S cards for pc's?

As far as I know, maybe some set top boxes have epg grabber's you can configure. I am using a DVB-S2 card and Mediaportal, get all the Freesat listings from this channel.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    do tell how?
    I think some FTA sat boxes have an ability to import EPG via an xml file, which you can grab using either a web EPG grabber (i.e. from a listings website) or with a sat card.
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Yes. I personally use MediaPortal's WebEPG plugin.....
    You can also use the Sky EPG but I'm not sure if it's encrypted or not.
    DJBlu developed a Sky grabber for Mediaportal here, for DVBViewer you can use EPGCollector.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    DJBlu developed a Sky grabber for Mediaportal here, for DVBViewer you can use EPGCollector.
    I know. That doesn't answer the question of whether it's encrypted or not. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. That doesn't answer the question of whether it's encrypted or not. :p
    What, the EPG data, don't think it is, if you mean you can't use it without a Sky card, that is not correct.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK cool, so assuming you have no Sky card, can you use it to get EPG data for both Freesat and Freeview channels (since they're all on Sky)?
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skys EPG Data is not encrypted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    ftakeith wrote: »
    only 4 other channels needed from freeview to be added to fta satellite

dave
    yesterday
    4music
    viva

VIVA is FTA, I have had Pick TV FTA for ages! I did buy a new Sky card not long ago, would that make a difference?
  • daniel34daniel34 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    VIVA is FTA, I have had Pick TV FTA for ages! I did buy a new Sky card not long ago, would that make a difference?

Viva is FTV = Free to view which means if you have a sky card with or without a sub you can watch it for free.

FTA means free to air i.e any box can pick it up as no card what so ever is needed to view the channel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK cool, so assuming you have no Sky card, can you use it to get EPG data for both Freesat and Freeview channels (since they're all on Sky)?
    Yup:). I believe the mediaportal plugin also allows some series linking.
  • HardstylerHardstyler Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do I get my sat box to show the whole days EPG or the whole week as it only shows now & next which is a pain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick TV and Pick TV+1 now encrypted :-(
  • ravedadaveravedadave Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    :eek::confused::(
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    So how do I get my sat box to show the whole days EPG or the whole week as it only shows now & next which is a pain

If you are talking about your Silvercrest box - you cannot. There are only a few linux and other "hobby" boxes and HTPCs that can have modified software loaded to view Sky's or freesat's EPG.
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankyou sky, I watched pick TV a little bit and am glad sky have encrypted it , I thougt it was very bad and challenge tv is just as bad the advert's are nearly alll sky programe promotions.

Just my opinion
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although Challenge and +1 are still FTA I would suspect they too will encrypt again. Despite all the fantasy speculation in this thread it would appear that them being FTA was down to some sort of hardware problem or oversight.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't wanna say "I told you so...." but.....

Although, maybe Sky will notice the increase in viewers after a week of being FTA and may consider launching FTA at some point? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I don't wanna say "I told you so...." but.....

Although, maybe Sky will notice the increase in viewers after a week of being FTA and may consider launching FTA at some point? :rolleyes:
    I doubt the numbers of people who have FTA boxes or use non freesat mode in BARB homes is anywhere near enough to make a difference.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. Hence my eye rolling smiley. :p
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,571
    Forum Member
    Although Challenge and +1 are still FTA I would suspect they too will encrypt again. Despite all the fantasy speculation in this thread it would appear that them being FTA was down to some sort of hardware problem or oversight.

I cant' believe that they were put FTA for that length of time and nobody noticed, even when the encryption flag was removed. I hope everyone enjoyed it whilst it lasted, wonder if Challenge will go back to being pay or now FTV?
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    I cant' believe that they were put FTA for that length of time and nobody noticed, even when the encryption flag was removed. I hope everyone enjoyed it whilst it lasted, wonder if Challenge will go back to being pay or now FTV?
    It was obviously deliberate but as to the reason behind it, we are none the wiser at the moment?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Well to be fair Freesat have had a run of adverts on TV recently but they haven't gone as far as telling people to junk their subscriptions and I suspect Sky would complain if they did, because of the BBC's involvement.

As far as getting more channels to join we have to acknowledge the difficulties Freesat face. With a few exceptions most of the FTA channels not on Freesat are small budget channels and they simply cannot afford to be on Freesat as well as Sky because they would not recoup the extra cost in advert revenue (as the percentage increase in viewers would be relatively tiny). Many of the encrypted channels that are part of a Sky sub have the problem of having to satisfy the programme rights holders and cannot do this if they go FTA because of the footprint of the satellite they are on. Also some channels by remaining exclusive to Sky get paid more as part of their contract.

If Freesat can continue to shift boxes then their argument starts to become easier and if they can get near to a number similar to Virgin Media's customer base then I'm sure a number of channels will sit up and take notice.
    M60 wrote: »
    I've not seen any Freesat ads for a while, presumably they've been concentrating on your area with DSO just completed etc?

I do wonder how much Sky pay UKTV for channels such as Dave, Really and Yesterday when these are all available FTA on the main UK platform, wonder whether exclusivity pays more in terms of sub fees? Any channel joining Sky's pay line-up may not now be able to go FTA elsewhere so presumably this is a prior arrangement and maybe Dave doesn't give the same subscription kickback payment as does, say, Alibi, Blighty, Gold, Eden etc. We'll never know as we won't see a contract but is interesting, certainly it looks like HD-wise 5HD is in an exclusivity deal for Sky (and VM) as they couldn't go on to Freeview until this summer.

I was watching a programme on Pick TV last night, apart from the odd ad, most of the ad breaks are filled with Sky 1 promos, plus ads for Sky Sports upgrades, it's basically their mouthpiece for selling Sky subs (together with Challenge although not watched much of that yet).

I've never had Freeview although can get all the multiplexes, went for Freesat instead and as these channels weren't available I've never missed them - probably still wouldn't if they weren't FTA.

Indeed guys. There have been quite a lot Freeview adverts on TV recently and Freesat need to up their game in terms of quantity and quality of adverts.

It's a chicken and egg thing - the more good advertising there is then the more customers they'll get and the more likely it is that more, new channels will come to Freesat. However, they've got to start the ball rolling themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It was obviously deliberate but as to the reason behind it, we are none the wiser at the moment?
    I almost think Sky are just playing with us:(, waving their cheapest offerings at us :mad: seeing us get all excited (nearly 11,000 views for this thread) :rolleyes:.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick TV & Pick TV+1 FTA here again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hurrah!
    I know people complain about the offerings on Pick TV and Challenge but it's nice to see them free to air!

Watching Family Fortunes with Max Bygraves looks so 70's though it was 1983...!
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,571
    Forum Member

There must be something going on at Sky Osterley with these services being in the clear. I had a sneaky suspicion it might have gone FTA again. Lets see if it lasts or not.