Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 38)

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they get their act together tonight/tomorrow morning, for what might (or might not...) be the most seismic ratings event in British TV history.

:eek:[/QUOT

Doubt it will hit the 30 million on BBC1 for the 1966 World Cup Final which is the current record holder, only three channels in those days of course.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious as to why ITV are pulling the Lets Do Lunch with Gino and Mel show for the next two weeks. Gino said it was due to the Olympics and seemed pretty miffed.

I

They're puling Let's Do Lunch?

A nation mourns.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    It's just a load of donuts who think they could get in when it's always been clear this wasn't available for spectators. I knew that.
    Yet, during Test Match Special in May, cricket commentator Jonathan Agnew interviewed John Stephenson (I think!) of the MCC, and John said they would be erecting temporary stands on the Lord's outfield for spectators to watch the archery, instead of using the permanent seating, and as a result the outfield would need some remedial work after the Games, so unless the seats were always being reserved for VIP freebies, there's been a change of plan.

As for tonight's viewing figures, unless I misheard, or unless a mistake was made, one news report said 11 million tickets were being made available for people to watch a broadcast of the ceremony at Olympic venues, so that'd affect the ratings!
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet, during Test Match Special in May, cricket commentator Jonathan Agnew interviewed John Stephenson (I think!) of the MCC, and John said they would be erecting temporary stands on the Lord's outfield for spectators to watch the archery, instead of using the permanent seating, and as a result the outfield would need some remedial work after the Games, so unless the seats were always being reserved for VIP freebies, there's been a change of plan.

As for tonight's viewing figures, unless I misheard, or unless a mistake was made, one news report said 11 million tickets were being made available for people to watch a broadcast of the ceremony at Olympic venues, so that'd affect the ratings!
    They have erected seating - that's for the actual competition which begins tomorrow. Today was just for rankings, to see who plays who I think.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    They have erected seating - that's for the actual competition which begins tomorrow. Today was just for rankings, to see who plays who I think.
    Ah. :)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice ITV have wisely ended their CS double bill before the Olympics opening ceremony starts. Actually the CS double bill should more than cover for ITV1s meltdown after 8.30 as most posters on here are predicting 20 million for the ceremony.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict the big winners of the next few weeks will be multi-channel
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6.2m peak last night for the football: https://twitter.com/rogermosey/status/228888939434483712
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    6.2m peak last night for the football: https://twitter.com/rogermosey/status/228888939434483712

Better, but suggests millions can't really be arsed with football in the Games.

Getting so excited now, this really is a key moment in our lifetimes and in our nation's proud history.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Can't see the weather helping proceedings. Beautiful day today (for the North at least) and it staying light past 9.30 will keep folk in the garden

Plus it's pay day, lot of folk will be heading out

Do you think people are going to sit in their garden - and at 9pm not think to go check their tv?? I am heading out, but only until 845 then back home to witness something spectacularly British.:)

We are as a nation "grumpy moaners" but this will be memorable for many years to come....National pride is a valuable commodity.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Just curious as to why ITV are pulling the Lets Do Lunch with Gino and Mel show for the next two weeks. Gino said it was due to the Olympics and seemed pretty miffed.

I would have thought that the mid day largely female audience are some of the least likely to desert such a programme and its ratings are hardly so huge that they are going to suffer badly anyhow.

What is the thinking behind pulling it for a fortnight? I know that there is giving in to the inevitable in peak slots but this show is only cheap daytime filler. And This Morning is continuing as normal.

Just seems an odd move, especially as they made clear on air that it was because of the Olympics.

Maybe they think that their star guests (as in ex soap actors or out of work loose women) might find it hard to reach the studios? If so I dread to think who will make it onto This Morning over the next fortnight. It will be wall to wall Heather from East Enders going camping and Jonny whatsit going camp by the sounds of it.
    http://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=855

They're pre recording Let's do Christmas with Gino and Mel over the next 2 weeks. So it isn't about guests or studio availability. Tickets to those Christmas shows have been advertised for months now.

http://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=833
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Can't see the weather helping proceedings. Beautiful day today (for the North at least) and it staying light past 9.30 will keep folk in the garden

Plus it's pay day, lot of folk will be heading out

Please look after that chip on your shoulder;)
    It's a Friday (and pay day) so let's take the factor of a lot of people going out this Friday. So let's take out the population of most of the North East.

Weigh it against bugger all being on terrestrial (as it appears some people have an inability to look beyond the first 5 channels) and rubbish weather (in the North) and you might get the big numbers.
    There's not a heatwave everywhere.
    Currently dull and rainy here and it was yesterday, just because further South is hot doesn't reflect everywhere!

DS's own Self appointed 'Ambasssador' for the North
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    http://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=855

They're pre recording Let's do Christmas with Gino and Mel over the next 2 weeks. So it isn't about guests or studio availability. Tickets to those Christmas shows have been advertised for months now.

http://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=833

Though presumably they planned to film the Christmas episodes over the Olympics for a reason - so they could pull Let's Do Lunch instead of having it air against the Olympics.

Just for the record - the average prediction for the Opening Ceremony (9pm-12.35am) on the DS Ratings Prediction Game is 13.6m.

Also the Week 5 Schedule is open for predictions...how will the athletic perform when they begin next week? How will new shows Midwives, The Briefs and Vexed perform? How many viwers will Big Brother pull in for the twist? How will the soaps' ratings hold up? Why not take a guess? :)
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    5 a day wrote: »

They'd be mad not to use the platform. I'm glad to see it, especially for drama.

All getting rather exciting now - things have lifted off over the past 48 hours or so. It's another of those events where the ratings might wind up falling anywhere - I would certainly think it will peak over 20m, and audiences seem pretty resilient when it comes to sitting around for these big events (see: The Royal Wedding) so the average from 9pm might not be far off. Friday night would, you'd think, subdue the ratings a little bit. There's going to be a lot of viewing going on in pubs and clubs as a result. Far more, for instance, than the Jubilee or Royal Wedding.

I just don't know - can't wait to find out in the morning! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 26th July 2012
    BBC One
    17:00 - Olympics 2012 Countdown: 1.03m (9.6%)
    19:00 - Olympics 2012: 4.77m (24.0%)
    * peak: 6.2m (~28.7%)

BBC Two
    14:30 - Olympics 2012: 920k (9.7%)
    20:00 - Natural World: 1.37m (6.5%)

ITV1
    21:00 - The Big Sports Quiz: 1.73m (8.0%), +1: 174k (1.0%)

Channel 4
    21:00 - Obsessive Compulsive Hoarder: The Big Clear Out: 2.04m (9.5%), +1: 498k (2.8%)

Channel 5
    21:00 - The Hotel Inspector: 1.60m (7.4%), +1: 128k (0.7%)
    22:00 - Big Brother: 1.25m (7.2%)

Primetime Shares
    BBC One - 23.8%
    ITV1 - 17.2% (+1: 0.9%)
    BBC Two - 5.8%
    Channel 5 - 5.5% (+1: 0.3%)
    Channel 4 - 5.2% (+1: 1.1%)

Multichannels
    BBC Three
    23:05 - Family Guy: 931k (8.2%)

Watch
    21:00 - Dynamo: Magician Impossible: 733k (3.4%)

Source: DS. Ratings include HD and are tape-checked where necessary.

Considering the weather, a very solid peak for the Football. Appalling for the quiz over on ITV.

The countdown show at 17:00 did not do too well, though and probably finished last in it's slot.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely no idea where the Opening Ceremony will end up, but one thing is for certain: it's gonna be huge! Really excited now. I wonder if a 25m peak is achievable?
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also wonder if BBC1 might roll out an Olympics ident today? They have been running their "x days to go" sting now for a month and for a channel with a series of identifiers based on circles, you can't get better than an aerial shot of the stadium, as the "x days to go" sting uses.

Be a shame if they just use the "stadium Mexican wave" one for the duration.
    Sadly they're not using one.
    Absolutely agree - they're far more resiliant than the big five.
    Better, but suggests millions can't really be arsed with football in the Games.

Getting so excited now, this really is a key moment in our lifetimes and in our nation's proud history.
    Can't wait - so excited.
    5 a day wrote: »
    Ridiculous but no surprise - BBC Sport has been taking breaks for a while now, originally just to trail their own stuff but increasingly just for trailers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITV1
    21:00 - The Big Sports Quiz: 1.73m (8.0%), +1: 174k (1.0%)

Ouch. :eek: Then again, if you are going to pitch a recorded sports show against a live sports programme what do you expect? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The countdown show at 17:00 did not do too well, though and probably finished last in it's slot.

Post of the day
    :D
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like everything was down, apart from decent performances from Channel 4 and Channel 5. Ch4 beat the Quiz on ITV and BB attracted it's highest rating since Sunday even with the excluding +1.

However I am looking forward to looking at tonights ratings. Everything will fall to lows obviously. Every single show, I can't think of any show that will average more than 1.5m in the 9pm slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Looks like everything was down, apart from decent performances from Channel 4 and Channel 5. Ch4 beat the Quiz on ITV and BB attracted it's highest rating since Sunday even with the excluding +1.

However I am looking forward to looking at tonights ratings. Everything will fall to lows obviously. Every single show, I can't think of any show that will average more than 1.5m in the 9pm slot.

I can't wait for:

21.00 Olympics 2012 Opening Ceremony: 1.4m

:D
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy Power:

AVERAGE audience for BBC Opening Ceremony PROGRAMME - as reported by Digital Spy(!!! ;)):

Under 22m: 1/3
    22m to 26m: 5/2
    26m to 30m: 6/1
    30m to 34m: 7/1
    Over 34m: 7/1
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It won't affect the ratings because BARB does not measure people viewing in public places, they have no way of doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It won't affect the ratings because BARB does not measure people viewing in public places, they have no way of doing so.

Yes it will affect ratings, it will mean ratings will be lower than what they could have been had those 11m people chose to watch in front of a TV screen at home. ;)
This discussion has been closed.