View Single Post
Old 21-08-2012, 14:36
RichmondBlue
Forum Member

It's not the norm but it DOES happen. Of course it does. What do you expect when you're bombarding these girls with a society and media that tells them sex sells? That their worth comes from their sexuality and how good looking they are? That sex is 'cool' and if you're not doing it you're some sort of social outcast?

It's a pity but it's absolutely true. Combine that with, say, a strained relationship with a parent or lack of ambition/feeling like there's not much worth working for, and this sort of thing will happen. Too many teenage girls DO do things like take compromising pictures of themselves.

But that doesn't mean that you victim-blame. They're generally naive girls. It's a pity they didn't look after themselves better but the blame totally lies with those who took advantage.
That's all true, and sadly I agree.
I wasn't victim-blaming, just saying that some of the scenes in the first episode might have reinforced the stereo type view some people may have of certain young girls today.
Your post does take me on to another point I was going to raise..our responsibility to be on the look-out for suspicious behaviour.
It was only fiction, but going back to that scene in the shopping mall. The girls in their school uniforms stood out like a sore thumb, going around with a couple of shady looking guys in their late twenties or early thirties. Would the shop staff be quite happy to help them with make-up, watch them parade around in skimpy dresses, for the entertainment of a couple of dodgy looking individuals like that ? As I say, only fiction..I would imagine ( and hope) that it would arouse suspicion in real life.
RichmondBlue is online now   Reply With Quote