View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 19:32
Biffpup
Forum Member

My observations (S1E2)

2. First patients: Martin’s first official day at the surgery sees him all dressed up with no place to go. He is so eager to start treating diseases, to help actual patients with genuine medical problems, but his first two callers come to see the improvements he’s made to the surgery, drink cups of tea, and the third (Mrs. Black, am I right that she is later reincarnated as Dr. Dibbs?), comes to make him a match. I never have quite understood her line: “If it’s the breast you’re after and she’s a Scotch pancake, there’s much that could be done – chicken fillets.” Is it supposed to make any kind of sense? Who’s the flat-chested “she.” Martin quickly loses patience with his surgery full of “gawpers” in this scene, but he certainly bites his tongue more in the name of politeness, even cordiality, even eagerness (to do a good job for them as their GP), than we see him in later interactions with patients where his watchword seems to be: “stop talking.”

3: Mr. wool-in-ear: The extra who puts his hand up, and then lowers it when Martin asks whether there’s anyone who has come to see him with a genuine medical complaint, I believe is another local who has been cast. We see him quite often throughout the series. In S3E4 he dances with Louisa at Penhale’s party. In S5E1 he is the man Martin lets through with his Dibbs-proferred prescription at the chemist’s – he says it is a “toilet matter.” Having been an extra at one point myself (see my appearance in the long-forgotten basketball movie “The Sixth Man”) I thought there was some rule about not giving speaking lines to people who do not belong to the actors’ union. Yet, Mr. wool-in-ear is given a word or two to speak here or there (as in that S5 appearance).
2. I've always wondered about the "chicken fillets" comment too. "There's much that could be done. Chicken fillets." Huh? Does she mean a woman could stuff chicken pieces in her bra? Doesn't sound too pleasant for the woman or the man. Or is there a slang expression we're missing here? Very strange. I'm hoping someone will jump in and explain this.

3. Mr. wool-in-ear is Mr. Armstrong. He's a rarity in that he's been in every series, and has been there for several significant scenes (for example, he's the one who comforts Pauline after her scooter has been repossessed). There's another one, Mrs. Poustie, who I think is always there. I'm curious about the man who plays Mr. Armstrong. Is he a local, an actor, what? He has lines in several episodes, but I don't think he's ever in the credits. I remember someone posting somewhere, here or at flickr, that they met him when they were in Port Isaac for filming. If anyone here knows anything about him, I'd love to hear.