Options

s3 still reigns it seems

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
The 4s couldn't knock the s2 off its perch looks like the new iPhone has failed too.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

just been reading some reviews whilst it scores OK as phone most reviews seem to be giving ios a kicking as well past it.

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, every iPhone owner must trade theirs in for an S3 to keep that cool factor then. I'll admit iOS is lacking a fair bit recently and if Apple don't up their game with iOS 7, people may consider the competition more than their beloved fruity company.
  • Options
    Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    This isn't good news for Samsung or S3 owners.

Hidden web code means hackers 'can wipe Samsung Galaxy S3'

Malicious hackers can hide a code in a web page that will trigger a full factory reset of Samsung’s best-selling Galaxy S3 smartphone, deleting contacts, photographs, music, apps and other valuable data, security researchers have discovered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9565395/Hidden-web-code-means-hackers-can-wipe-Samsung-Galaxy-S3.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This exploit has been patched in the 4.1 update that is doing the rounds at the moment, and should be available soon. Is currently being rolled out in Eastern Europe at this time.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Although the reasons that it came top, in the survey were largely screen size (and I do admire the screen size of the S3) Maps and price.

Nothing is going to change the screen size issue.

Maps will get better on the iPhone and Google maps will always be available. Both are limited if you want Satnav as they rely on downloads to do the trick.

Consequently even though I have access to Google maps, I never use it as a satnav - which is why I have TomTom on my phone - maps always on board.

Price is never fixed.

I admire the Samsung - I was even slightly tempted - but it simply doesn't - or can't - do things I need it to do, consequently I will, I suspect, go for the iPhone 5.

Although in a report I was reading today it appears in a markteting survey, in the 'States, that 9% of IOS6 users are going to change to an Android device at their next change.. However 23% of Android users are looking to move to IOS6.

Most Android users (57% - I think was quoted) are still using Gingerbread which was released in 2010 because either their phones can't upgrade otr they find the experience too difficult.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S3 Android is a true smartphone computer.
    The long term plan for IOS is certainly as more and more as a feature phone

There are loads of true alternatives to Samsung if you dont like the IOS features.
    In the long term I would expect OS/X and full Windows for premium smartphones
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Although the reasons that it came top, in the survey were largely screen size (and I do admire the screen size of the S3) Maps and price.

Nothing is going to change the screen size issue.

Maps will get better on the iPhone and Google maps will always be available. Both are limited if you want Satnav as they rely on downloads to do the trick.

Consequently even though I have access to Google maps, I never use it as a satnav - which is why I have TomTom on my phone - maps always on board.

Price is never fixed.

I admire the Samsung - I was even slightly tempted - but it simply doesn't - or can't - do things I need it to do, consequently I will, I suspect, go for the iPhone 5.

Although in a report I was reading today it appears in a markteting survey, in the 'States, that 9% of IOS6 users are going to change to an Android device at their next change.. However 23% of Android users are looking to move to IOS6.

Most Android users (57% - I think was quoted) are still using Gingerbread which was released in 2010 because either their phones can't upgrade otr they find the experience too difficult

more than just simply screen size iPhone lacking that wow factor in screen, ios etc played its part. price as I have said before In relation to the iPhone and other options is incredible, why any one would pay that much for an iPhone I have never been able to fathom.

not sure I understand what it ks android cant do that iPhone can.

not sure if that report is borne out by the increasing number of android activations
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can make Google Maps cache the data offline now. Been available for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    You can make Google Maps cache the data offline now. Been available for a while.

Interesting. How do you do that?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Menu (three dots) > make available offline

incredibly useful when abroad as you can store several pretty large chunks of map offline.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »

incredibly useful when abroad as you can store several pretty large chunks of map offline.

Indeed. I just cached the whole island of Rhodes for when i go next week :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    not sure I understand what it ks android cant do that iPhone can.

Well - it's crunch time - I have to decide whether to go for a Galaxy (still a bit of me wants to) or an iPhone 5 which I've just been offered.

I susect I haven't got time, now, to investigate what the S3 can do, that is a useful, real world feature. (non of this "it stays on while you use it", nonsense)

The killer iPhone application is the ability to plug a guitar (or keyboard) into it and have all the effets and different amp rigs available with no latency. A handy practice tool.

BUT more than that - you can record the guitar onto it via Garage Band which then can import into Logic Pro.

I currently use this feature several times a week.

However, it is because of this feature that I lean to the iPhone. It is something that the Samsung - currently can't do. Just as I'm sure the iPhone can't do things that the Samsung can (a correspondent on here mentioned customised astronomy apps.)

It is just a phone that works for me.

BUT I'm not going to get into rubbishing the Samsung - just because it does't offer one feature that I find neccessary.

I have had, over the years had many smart(er) phones. I look at them all and decide on what they can offer me. The perfect phone, that does everything for everyone hasn't been invented yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well - it's crunch time - I have to decide whether to go for a Galaxy (still a bit of me wants to) or an iPhone 5 which I've just been offered.

I susect I haven't got time, now, to investigate what the S3 can do, that is a useful, real world feature. (non of this "it stays on while you use it", nonsense)

The killer iPhone application is the ability to plug a guitar (or keyboard) into it and have all the effets and different amp rigs available with no latency. A handy practice tool.

BUT more than that - you can record the guitar onto it via Garage Band which then can import into Logic Pro.

Well, the stay on while you use it isnt nonsense! Its bloody useful when reading and the screen doesn't decides to time out....

Cant you just buy a guitar amp and do it that way? lol

I cant see why anyone would want to plug a guitar into a phone and listen to it on those tinny speakers...Its not that the Samsung cant do it, its just the devs for that app wont port it to Android which is absolute idiocy.

Anyway, with that it seems like your mind is made up really..

Personally coming from the iphone 4S to the S3 i would never, ever use an iphone again.
  • Options
    TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shot_gunN wrote: »
    This exploit has been patched in the 4.1 update that is doing the rounds at the moment, and should be available soon. Is currently being rolled out in Eastern Europe at this time.
    It has already been patched in previous updates, S3s that are up to date are not affected by this issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Cant you just buy a guitar amp and do it that way? lol

I cant see why anyone would want to plug a guitar into a phone and listen to it on those tinny speakers...

Yes, of course if there is an amp available.

BUT it is handy when stopping in hotel rooms just to plug in and play (and it is one less piece of equipment to lug around.)

And - if the muse strikes - you can record your latest magnum opus.

Also, you don't use the tiny speakers - guitar plugs into the bottom connector using an Apogee JAM - then headphones into the headphone socket.

And because there is no latency - a second accompniament can be recorded along with the first.
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Open up maps, go to the rough area on the map you will be travelling to, hit your menu button and choose make available offline.

resize the gird to the are that you need to make available offline. smaller the area the quicker it will be to cache the data.
  • Options
    Forum Member

red_g00ner wrote: »
    Open up maps, go to the rough area on the map you will be travelling to, hit your menu button and choose make available offline.

resize the gird to the are that you need to make available offline. smaller the area the quicker it will be to cache the data.
    Thank you both for the info.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just had a look, but was wondering if you can CACHE several squares of the map as it's not big enough for the area that I normally cover for work?

I would really love to CACHE the whole of England as I have the space as only use the 16gb phones space for the OS and apps with most stuff on my 64gb SD card.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just had a look, but was wondering if you can CACHE several squares of the map as it's not big enough for the area that I normally cover for work?

I would really love to CACHE the whole of England as I have the space as only use the 16gb phones space for the OS and apps with most stuff on my 64gb SD card.

Cheers.

You might have to do it in separate sections.

I managed to do the whole of Rhodes in Greece but its a tiny island.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Cheers.

You can cache a number of chunks. Each chunk can be (if i recall) up to about 80mb in size (it tells you the current size as you resize the box to cache).

whether you can do the whole of the UK i dont know ... not tried :)
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Will give it a go later when I am on wireless.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the stay on while you use it isnt nonsense! Its bloody useful when reading and the screen doesn't decides to time out....

So turning the iPhone's auto lock system off isn't the same then?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, it is because of this feature that I lean to the iPhone. It is something that the Samsung - currently can't do. Just as I'm sure the iPhone can't do things that the Samsung can (a correspondent on here mentioned customised astronomy apps.)

It is just a phone that works for me.

BUT I'm not going to get into rubbishing the Samsung - just because it does't offer one feature that I find neccessary.

I have had, over the years had many smart(er) phones. I look at them all and decide on what they can offer me. The perfect phone, that does everything for everyone hasn't been invented yet.

Of course the samsung cant use the Apple ecosystem :confused:.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »

No it isn't. The S3 uses the camera to "see" your eyes which stops it fading. Then when you stop it fades. Your solution loses the security of locking, and kills the battery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »

No, because then the phone never goes to sleep.

With Samsung's way, when you stop staring at it, then it turns off.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because then the phone never goes to sleep.

With Samsung's way, when you stop staring at it, then it turns off.

Does it work in the dark?