Mark Mardell: A Great Journo from ILR

old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mark is the current BBC North American Editor but ex Radio Tees,Aire and IRN.

A testament to the old ILR network core journalism.

He has been doing a great job following in the footsteps of Justin Webb.

Check out his latest report here;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20157132

Comments

• david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Mark is the current BBC North American Editor but ex Radio Tees,Aire and IRN.

A testament to the old ILR network core journalism.

He has been doing a great job following in the footsteps of Justin Webb.

Check out his latest report here;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20157132

Can you imagine anyone from Global getting a gig like that.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Actually, I could. Perhaps someone like Jame Rea, group head of news and also heading up all of the news output from LBC. And plenty of commercial radio journos still climb the BBC ladder.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Ando is another BBC reporter who cut his teeth on IRN
  • tomalistenertomalistener Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    In the early days the radio aire newsroom was full of great reporters. I remember Dee Marshall, Chris Kiddey, and Helen Boden .... Wonder what she went on to do later.
    I remember when mike smith(?) left as news editor martin Kelner said at the end of the last bulletin how mike was not just leaving radio air but the entertainment industry all together ... And was joining Yorkshire tv ... I've used that line once or twice whe people have left places I have run.
    I am a full anorak aren't I
  • beermolebeermole Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Personally I think the USA post isn't playing to Mark Mardell's strengths. He was great as a Westminster correspondent and insightful on programmes like This Week where his inside knowledge and experience gave him access to material that was "new". I don't know what background experience he has of the USA political scene, but his reports from America, in contrast, are superficial, without the in depth understanding that Justin Webb displayed. Just think he's in the wrong post at the moment.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beermole wrote: »
    Personally I think the USA post isn't playing to Mark Mardell's strengths. He was great as a Westminster correspondent and insightful on programmes like This Week where his inside knowledge and experience gave him access to material that was "new". I don't know what background experience he has of the USA political scene, but his reports from America, in contrast, are superficial, without the in depth understanding that Justin Webb displayed. Just think he's in the wrong post at the moment.

Yes and his love-ins concerning Obama are tiresome and have no place on the BBC. He is entitled to his own view but should at least try to be fair on the BBC.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,195
    Forum Member
    Joanna Gosling on BBC News Channel in the evenings used to be on IRN hourly news for many years.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Joanna Gosling on BBC News Channel in the evenings used to be on IRN hourly news for many years.

Don't forget Jon Snow. Was with LBC/IRN from day one, almost 40 years ago now.
  • MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Peter Allen start with LBC/IRN
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Did Peter Allen start with LBC/IRN

Yes he did, their political editor, from there to Granada TV I think, then Radio 5 ?