View Single Post
Old 18-12-2012, 19:41
iaindb
Forum Member

Heh, of course as mentioned barely any actual shows get on the cover of the Christmas Radio Times. The only actual programmes would probably be Only Fools in 1985, 'stEnders in 1986, Harry Potter on Radio 4 in 2000 and Who in 2005.

In the early seventies you used to get photo covers quite a lot but they would just be BBC stars in general, The Two Ronnies were on the cover in 1971 and Mike Yarwood in 1978 but they were more promoting the whole season than just their shows. A choirboy in 1989 was ostensibly promoting Carols From Kings (last ever photo cover, fact fans) but was just a nice picture really, same with Wallace and Gromit in 2008 and 2010 (especially as they were only on in repeat form in 2010) and the same this year I think, it is a "nice" picture first - especially as they have the free book offer - and a C4 show second.

Anyway, on Christmas Day it's nine BBC choices to two ITV, and one of those is Paul O'Grady.
The editor of RT was on Chris Evans' Radio 2 show the other day and he said that putting The Snowman And The Snowdog on the front cover of the Christmas issue was an easy decision.

The Snowman is old-fashioned animation and that fits in with the style of the RT Christmas covers. I'll wager there have been quite a few snowmen on the RT Christams front cover over the years.

And there are three ITV programmes among the Christmas Day choices - Corrie, O'Grady, and Downton. Downton is joint Pick Of The Day with Midwife but Midwife gets the big picture. I had to double-take to realise Downton was featured as well.