View Single Post
Old 26-12-2012, 00:11
Eurostar
Forum Member

I agree when used " in context" The F word is fine...but hang on I have kids and that old bollocks about 9pm doesn't wash on Christmas Eve ...please come on.

This however dominated the script and seemed to be every line, as though struggling for comic effect.

I think suggesting The Irish use it all the time is a bit OTT, as it tends to intimate that as a race they are unable to string togther a coherent sentence so have no option but to throw in an expletive.

I know plenty Irish people whose swearing is no worse than the Brits.

Maybe its just society and an ultra low IQ which sinks lower every 10 years or so.

Maybe that is all the current generation can digest and compute!

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder (2,3,4) even Billy Connoly were ultra sharp.

Blackadder wasn't exactly without sin but could get away with it because it was brilliantly written.

MBB is of those programmes which somehow taps into a credibilty gap, somebody credible says its fresh, funny and then herd like masses have to appease each other on social media etc by suggesting same.....

Take the Fword out and rerun the script, see what I mean crap !
But as I pointed out above, only Mrs Brown is allowed use the "F" word, which is quite deliberate. If Buster, Maria, Dermot, Rory, Winnie et al were using it, it would indeed be a very coarse and vulgar sitcom. So to say that the show is an example of the Irish constantly using foul language would be quite incorrect.

The reason Agnes is allowed use it is part of the show's raison d'etre....she's a foul mouthed and extremely blunt matriarch who often shocks those she comes into contact with.
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote