View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 16:54
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

I don't dislike Brian May but why is anyone considering his as main presenter?

Yes, he's knowledgable and qualified in astronomy but he's only ever been a guest on SaN. I'm pleased to hear he was a close friend to Sir Patrick and generous personally to him but he's surely not TV presenter material unless all the better-qualified, 'usual crew' are unavailable or bypassed by some BBC numpty who knows nothing about astronomy or science - and not much about broadcasting to a brighter, more discerning portion of the viewing public!

We don't need a 'celeb' (if B May counts) we need competence and someone who can retain viewers interest without being a distraction (though I'd make an exception and allow myself to be distracted by Lucie Green).

Chris Lintott doesn't match up to Sir Patrick in the 'enthusing the viewer' stakes but who could? Surely, he's the obvious replacement, possibly sharing with Paul and Pete and Chris N.
I think people are being a little unkind to Chris, he's not a TV presenter he's a scientist and I think he does a good job of presenting, I think it's a job he could grow into. Paul Abel is more like Patrick being slighty eccentric at times (and his love of old technology like drawing!) and of course Pete is the real amateur.

I think if Chris tried to be like Patrick it just wouldn't work, but on the other hand they don't need to bring in someone just to over egg things as that would be tiresome.

I think personally if they made Chris the main presenter but perhaps bought in Lucie Green or Heather Couper as well that would be fine.

My main issue is with the BBC trying to cancel the show.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Brian Cox as the presenter, as with Brian May I'm not sure his schedule would allow it not unless they kept the current format of Chris, Pete and Paul to do most of the fill in stuff.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote