View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 17:32
katetow
Forum Member

The line I quoted was about paedophilia which is about pre-prubescent children so the age of consent is irrelevent.

Also there are different bands of the seriousness of offending in the UK based on the age of the child and a lot of discretion about prosecuting underage relationships - as there should be - as relationships are complex. There is a huge gap in the treatment of someone who rapes a 5 year old to someone who dates a 15 year old.

Those under 16 are not considered to be unable to know whether they want sexual relationships - that would be absurd - instead those who sleep with them are however considered to be at risk (though not much) of being prosecuted for it.
Yes, this is all fair enough and I agree.

At the same time, I do also think a civilised discussion about paedophilia is going to help all involved, including victims. Obviously people are going to disagree, and some will have more extreme views than others, but the media way of reporting with words such as monster and predator really does not show the reality or help matters.